Photo

A suggestion: Common Public E2 Plugin Repository (E2 OpenPlugins)

• Please log in to reply
195 replies to this topic

Re: A suggestion: Common Public E2 Plugin Repository (E2 OpenPlugins) #41 plnick

• 58 posts

+4
Neutral

Posted 15 September 2011 - 19:32

Yes I know git and working with git but not working with github and organisations, members and access rights. The main question for me is how to merge common files like configure.ac into main repository without having write access in main repository ?

Re: A suggestion: Common Public E2 Plugin Repository (E2 OpenPlugins) #42 pieterg

• PLi® Core member
  • 32,766 posts

+245
Excellent

Posted 15 September 2011 - 19:40

we might want to avoid DYNAMIC_PACKAGES alltogether, and give every plugin its own configure.ac?
bb files with dynamic packages are really terrible, especially when you want to tweak plugin dependencies, descriptions etc.

Re: A suggestion: Common Public E2 Plugin Repository (E2 OpenPlugins) #43 plnick

• 58 posts

+4
Neutral

Posted 15 September 2011 - 19:46

Ok, but at the moment there is one configure.ac at e2openplugins. so this will change in future ?

Re: A suggestion: Common Public E2 Plugin Repository (E2 OpenPlugins) #44 pieterg

• PLi® Core member
  • 32,766 posts

+245
Excellent

Posted 15 September 2011 - 19:49

that's just an example, we have to decide what we think is most convenient.

Re: A suggestion: Common Public E2 Plugin Repository (E2 OpenPlugins) #45 plnick

• 58 posts

+4
Neutral

Posted 15 September 2011 - 20:17

ok, I think this is a good idea with avoiding package dynamics

Re: A suggestion: Common Public E2 Plugin Repository (E2 OpenPlugins) #46 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,311 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 15 September 2011 - 20:33

Ehh ?? back to single repository ? a git for every plugin ? all is changed ?
WanWizard i think you want to drive me crazy /images/smiley/shock.gif

Why? What does it matter where your build script pulls it's source from?

It is the most clean solution, and avoids all the cherry pick and merge misery that most of us spend the majority of our precious development time on.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: A suggestion: Common Public E2 Plugin Repository (E2 OpenPlugins) #47 bacicciosat

• 540 posts

+100
Excellent

Posted 15 September 2011 - 21:43

Ehh ?? back to single repository ? a git for every plugin ? all is changed ?
WanWizard i think you want to drive me crazy /images/smiley/shock.gif

Why? What does it matter where your build script pulls it's source from?

It is the most clean solution, and avoids all the cherry pick and merge misery that most of us spend the majority of our precious development time on.

I was joking.
You have to be a little patience with me and others that don't know github yet.
We need to take confidence to understand all the capabilities.

Re: A suggestion: Common Public E2 Plugin Repository (E2 OpenPlugins) #48 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,311 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 16 September 2011 - 07:53

Ah, ok. /images/smiley/more_happy/21.gif

I use Github for serveral large projects.

One we've started late last year already has over 50 people contributing through pull requests. We also use the issue tracker heavily, both for bug reports (which you can classify), for work in progress and for roadmap/feature requests, including milestone definitions.

I'm very pleased with the way it works.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: A suggestion: Common Public E2 Plugin Repository (E2 OpenPlugins) #49 bacicciosat

• 540 posts

+100
Excellent

Posted 16 September 2011 - 09:38

I guess we should start a new github organization called e2openplugins and give everyone in this thread all access rights.

Ok i have an account at github (lupomeo) and i created organization BlackHole to fork the main repo.
Right ?

Re: A suggestion: Common Public E2 Plugin Repository (E2 OpenPlugins) #50 skaman

• 67 posts

+48
Good

Posted 16 September 2011 - 10:42

I guess we should start a new github organization called e2openplugins and give everyone in this thread all access rights.

Ok i have an account at github (lupomeo) and i created organization BlackHole to fork the main repo.
Right ?

I did the same thing. I've a user called "skaman" and an organization called "SIFTeam" for the fork.

Re: A suggestion: Common Public E2 Plugin Repository (E2 OpenPlugins) #51 plnick

• 58 posts

+4
Neutral

Posted 16 September 2011 - 12:09

I also created an organisation openvti.

My user account is plnick

Re: A suggestion: Common Public E2 Plugin Repository (E2 OpenPlugins) #52 bacicciosat

• 540 posts

+100
Excellent

Posted 16 September 2011 - 22:22

I'm very pleased with the way it works.

I just took a glance and i start to understand your enthusiasm. It seems that github offers really interesting features.

@Sjaaki: i think we are ready. When you will create the main repo we will fork and start to commit.

Re: A suggestion: Common Public E2 Plugin Repository (E2 OpenPlugins) #53 Sjaaky

• 7,443 posts

+41
Good

Posted 16 September 2011 - 22:32

I'm thinking about restructuring the plugins to individual bb files. That needs some work and some discussion.
Basicly the questions plnick came up with.

Re: A suggestion: Common Public E2 Plugin Repository (E2 OpenPlugins) #54 bacicciosat

• 540 posts

+100
Excellent

Posted 16 September 2011 - 23:11

Ok.
Maybe we need a kind of basically rules for ppl that want to join.
Something like:
- license type (Gpl only)
- no binaries files
- no illegal stuffs

I don't like to spend time in these details but they are often needed to prevent future problems.

Re: A suggestion: Common Public E2 Plugin Repository (E2 OpenPlugins) #55 Sjaaky

• 7,443 posts

+41
Good

Posted 16 September 2011 - 23:31

Good point. Those rules may seem obvious now, but may save some trouble later on.

Re: A suggestion: Common Public E2 Plugin Repository (E2 OpenPlugins) #56 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,123 posts

+685
Excellent

Posted 17 September 2011 - 00:21

I want to add another rule... no tmpd challanges....

Re: A suggestion: Common Public E2 Plugin Repository (E2 OpenPlugins) #57 bacicciosat

• 540 posts

+100
Excellent

Posted 17 September 2011 - 09:27

Because i have seen horrible plugins that use to run in background or to put config files everywhere maybe we can adopt a little coding best practice too.
Like for example:

- Plugins have to live and die in their own context.
- Autostart functions and background running files are allowed only when it is strictly necessary
- All plugins files have to stay in plugin tree
- It is highly recommended to use standard subdirs names as follow:
-- "cfg" for all configuration files
-- "pskin" for all plugins skin and graphics files

Re: A suggestion: Common Public E2 Plugin Repository (E2 OpenPlugins) #58 ozkaradag

• 53 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 17 September 2011 - 11:34

Excellent idea.

Wowww.

Regards...

Re: A suggestion: Common Public E2 Plugin Repository (E2 OpenPlugins) #59 bacicciosat

• 540 posts

+100
Excellent

Posted 17 September 2011 - 11:52

another main concern is that everyone with write access to the git would have write access to everyone's plugin's wouldn't they ?
and not all images work the same, some have core fictions in E2 that others don't have, so you would have to take a branch and code arround the issue, so another reason having 1 plugin git does not make much sense.
surely it would be best to just have a website that has a list of open git's that everyone can pull and merge from.
i am all for open plugin's it just how best to maintain it.
andy.

I understand your point of view and your connection with git Pli but i think we are in a different context.
I think our plan (but have we a plan ?) is not to share our images sources or our image dependent plugins.
I think our plan is to build a Gpl plugins repository available for all sat community. Free to use for all machines and without any limitation like license restrictions, tpm checks and so on. In this perspective i don't think is such important to have separate and "team labeled" gits.

In this perspective to reach so ambitious objective i think that our work have to be as common as possible.
just my two cents.

Re: A suggestion: Common Public E2 Plugin Repository (E2 OpenPlugins) #60 Mamba0815

• 50 posts

Neutral

Posted 17 September 2011 - 16:57

All,

this definitively is a move into the right direction. Thumbs up! /images/smiley/more_happy/21.gif

I'd suggest to be rather quick with a first set of rules -or let's better say guidelines- in order to avoid later discussions when they get implemented too late. Often ideas like this one stumble because of minor things in the guideline definition.

Other than that: off the teams go! :D

Mamba

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users