Photo

Dynamic DNS setup

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 flash

• 9 posts

Neutral

Posted 12 January 2007 - 17:12

Could someone please point me to a HOW TO to setup a dyndns updater on the Garnet image.
I looked though the plugins but didnt see one. I found the TuxDns on the web and i have it on the dreambox. I can run it in telnet and it works.
Where is the init script located for the garnet image so that i can add a call to the TuxDns app to update my DNS.
If someone has another app to use instead please let me know.
Great image BTW.
Cheers

Re: Dynamic DNS setup #2 dAF2000

• PLi® Ex-Leden
  • 14,151 posts

+52
Good

Posted 12 January 2007 - 17:14

There's a inadyn plugin (in case you don't want to edit the config files by hand) and a inadyn service (in extra services, I thought). You always need to download the inadyn service. In PLi setup / services to run, you can enable the inadyn service to startup after each reboot.

Re: Dynamic DNS setup #3 hemertje

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Core member
  • 33,471 posts

+118
Excellent

Posted 12 January 2007 - 17:15

download the plugin from our pli setup - downloads - plugin

select the plugin via the yellow button and insert your settings

thats it, no need to use external stuff as it is automaticly started if you use our dns plugin

Re: Dynamic DNS setup #4 flash

• 9 posts

Neutral

Posted 12 January 2007 - 17:27

Ok thats great. Cant understand how i didnt see that in the menus. One complication now is that i am no longer in the same country as the dreambox. Is there any way i can do this though telnet or the web front end! And if not could someone tell me the init file location and i will have to add the tuxdns there for now until i am back at the dreambox location.

Re: Dynamic DNS setup #5 dAF2000

• PLi® Ex-Leden
  • 14,151 posts

+52
Good

Posted 12 January 2007 - 17:31

It's possible in telnet but that takes a lot of commands. Not really a solution. The web interface does work of course, but in that case there needs to be a port forward in your modem/router. That has nothing to do with PLi, but just to publish the webinterface on internet.

Re: Dynamic DNS setup #6 flash

• 9 posts

Neutral

Posted 12 January 2007 - 18:17

dAF2000 wrote:
It's possible in telnet but that takes a lot of commands. Not really a solution. The web interface does work of course, but in that case there needs to be a port forward in your modem/router. That has nothing to do with PLi, but just to publish the webinterface on internet.

I did forward the port on the router luckily! Using the Remote Control to navigate though the menus. Its slow but getting there. When i try to install Inadyn i just get the "Downloading inadyn 1.96... waiting..." screen. Nothing else happens. Does anyone know the server it makes a connection to for this download. Just want to be sure that it is active.
Thanks

Re: Dynamic DNS setup #7 dAF2000

• PLi® Ex-Leden
  • 14,151 posts

+52
Good

Posted 12 January 2007 - 18:22

The servers are online for sure (just tried it). The problem you're facing now is that the Dreambox screen updates faster than you can receive by internet. Just press OK or something like that and you'll see it is installed (hopefully).

Re: Dynamic DNS setup #8 flash

• 9 posts

Neutral

Posted 12 January 2007 - 18:59

dAF2000 wrote:
The servers are online for sure (just tried it). The problem you're facing now is that the Dreambox screen updates faster than you can receive by internet. Just press OK or something like that and you'll see it is installed (hopefully).

Thats what i have been doing. Just clicking OK over and over and the screen does not change. As soon as i click Cancel i get a dialog saying. I think there may be something wrong with my DNS settings or the domain server is down! Can ping an ip but not a web address. Anyway thanks for the help. If i dont manage to get it installed and have to set it up manually what is the locaiton of the init script that i could add a command to spawn the dnsupdater

Re: Dynamic DNS setup #9 flash

• 9 posts

Neutral

Posted 15 January 2007 - 18:30

Almost there.
I managed to get the inadyn installed though the web remote screen and also the config utility.
I edited the config though telnet as could not enter though web front end.
i then restarted the box and i was hoping for the inadyn application to be started automatically but it wasn't. I loaded the inadyn config utility and when i exited the utility the inadyn then started. But if i restart the box again it will be gone. What file do i check / edit to make sure this is started if the box is restarted. Thanks.

Re: Dynamic DNS setup #10 dAF2000

• PLi® Ex-Leden
  • 14,151 posts

+52
Good

Posted 15 January 2007 - 19:05

Did you enable inadyn in "services to run" (PLi image setup)?

Re: Dynamic DNS setup #11 flash

• 9 posts

Neutral

Posted 15 January 2007 - 20:50

Thats what i was missing. Thanks. All working perfectly now. Cheers.

Re: Dynamic DNS setup #12 black milk

• 1 posts

Neutral

Posted 14 February 2007 - 23:34

Good evening to all,
I would like to congratulate the PLi team for another great image.
I think that the inadyn plugin does not work when the dreambox (7000) is at standby mode. If you spare some time please check it out.
Thanks again, B

Re: Dynamic DNS setup #13 dAF2000

• PLi® Ex-Leden
  • 14,151 posts

+52
Good

Posted 14 February 2007 - 23:42

Good evening to all,
I would like to congratulate the PLi team for another great image.
I think that the inadyn plugin does not work when the dreambox (7000) is at standby mode. If you spare some time please check it out.
Thanks again, B

I assume it also works in standby mode (but never checked that explicitly). First you could check in telnet by "ps" if inadyn is still running while the box is in standby. I'll check it here too, but I'm now almost sure it will still work in standby.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users