Re: GStreamer 1.0 #1301 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 17 May 2015 - 16:51

++1

* Wavefrontier T90 with 28E/23E/19E/13E via SCR switches 2 x 2 x 6 user bands
I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: GStreamer 1.0 #1302 athoik

• PLi® Core member
  • 8,458 posts

+327
Excellent

Posted 17 May 2015 - 17:39

As I said, The registry cache file is loaded from $XDG_CACHE_HOME/gstreamer-$GST_API_VERSION/registry-$ARCH.bin (where $XDG_CACHE_HOME defaults to $HOME/.cache) or the file listed in the GST_REGISTRY env var.

But there other programs that depend on $HOME..
Wavefield T90: 0.8W - 1.9E - 4.8E - 13E - 16E - 19.2E - 23.5E - 26E - 33E - 39E - 42E - 45E on EMP Centauri DiseqC 16/1
Unamed: 13E Quattro - 9E Quattro on IKUSI MS-0916

Re: GStreamer 1.0 #1303 pieterg

• PLi® Core member
  • 32,766 posts

+245
Excellent

Posted 18 May 2015 - 14:41

building the cache takes a long time (several seconds), so if gstreamer itself knows when the cache should be invalidated, I'd prefer to keep it on non-volatile storage.

Re: GStreamer 1.0 #1304 MastaG

• 1,531 posts

+118
Excellent

Posted 18 May 2015 - 23:40

But how far will it grow?

If it will exceed 2Mbyte, then I'd say to just accept the two seconds and move it to /tmp.

It will only regenerate after a reboot and a 'normal' user does not reboot his receiver every day right?

Re: GStreamer 1.0 #1305 peteru

• 36 posts

+5
Neutral

Posted 19 May 2015 - 03:10

That's a waste of 2MB or more of RAM for a cache that's going to be lost. Why clear it at all? Let gstreamer manage it's resources - if there are issues with that, then report those issues and fix them, rather than implement hacks.

Why would a normal user not reboot every day? Deep standby will result in a reboot and plenty of users do that.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."

Re: GStreamer 1.0 #1306 christophecvr

• 3,131 posts

+140
Excellent

Posted 19 May 2015 - 06:14

building the cache takes a long time (several seconds), so if gstreamer itself knows when the cache should be invalidated, I'd prefer to keep it on non-volatile storage.

That's right , and idem dito for remarks of peteru.

There is only one time that the gstreamer registry files needs to be removed.

That is by every change off a gstreamer component.

With change I mean when You updated ,remove or add a gstreamer plugin.

I think also for enigma2 update/change (not shure off this one).

This can be done by adding to the concerned bitbake file :

pkg_preinst_${PN}_prepend () {
	if [ -d "/home/root/.cache/gstreamer-1.0" ]
	then
		rm -rf "/home/root/.cache/gstreamer-1.0"
	fi
}

To have it clean at a standard boot it would be A nice idea to adapt the enigma2.sh and change the line :

rm -fR /home/root/.gstreamer-0.10

to :

rm -fR /home/root/.cache/gstreamer-1.0

Re: GStreamer 1.0 #1307 MiLo

• PLi® Core member
  • 14,042 posts

+298
Excellent

Posted 19 May 2015 - 07:53

Wouldn't that just kill the cache file on every boot? Then you might as well put it in RAM.

(I also don't like the hard-coded '/home/root' in there. Isn't there some solution that would not be Enigma2 specific, i.e. one that could be sent to oe-core or videolan and fix the problem at its root?)
Real musicians never die - they just decompose

Re: GStreamer 1.0 #1308 pieterg

• PLi® Core member
  • 32,766 posts

+245
Excellent

Posted 19 May 2015 - 08:12

I think the 'rm cache' file is an ancient leftover from when we were using static caps for dts downmixing.
Imho the only case when the cache becomes invalid is when an element changes static caps.
We don't do that anymore

Re: GStreamer 1.0 #1309 christophecvr

• 3,131 posts

+140
Excellent

Posted 19 May 2015 - 08:49

Wouldn't that just kill the cache file on every boot? Then you might as well put it in RAM.

(I also don't like the hard-coded '/home/root' in there. Isn't there some solution that would not be Enigma2 specific, i.e. one that could be sent to oe-core or videolan and fix the problem at its root?)

Yes when this change is done indeed it should kill the cache on every reboot. But as far is I tested , this removal is not needed at all. I even don't know why its in.

Perhaps like pieterg told because off the change off static caps when using dtsdownmix which is now done (in gst-1.0) with a caps query filter.

The removal must well be done by each gst component change.

Concerning the /home/root.

Gstreamer is working like it is done in linux everywhere caching of files into the users home dir. Gstreamer should only by initiated by the user not globally (it's not a deamon).

The stb is a case apart, we are working as root user .

Gstreamer should only be started after that the users home dir is set. And actually this goes up for all programs using user related caches which have the goal to be kept on reboot.

At this time the only good working thing is setting the $HOME in enigma2.sh like athoik did. For an stb it's no problem at all since there is only one user and that's the root user.

Think that modifying enigma2 in such way that gstreamer is only initiated after that the $HOME dir is set would be the right solution, but where to do that ?

Re: GStreamer 1.0 #1310 MiLo

• PLi® Core member
  • 14,042 posts

+298
Excellent

Posted 19 May 2015 - 19:24

A simple "HOME=/home/$USER" in enigma2.sh should do the trick.

That script launches from /etc/inittab, which doesn't "log on" like interactive shell does, and hence may lack some variables. Since users will never call it, setting $HOMe in there is just fine.
Real musicians never die - they just decompose

Re: GStreamer 1.0 #1311 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 19 May 2015 - 19:28

Which will only work if root has it's home on /home, which usually isn't the case (/root).

I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: GStreamer 1.0 #1312 athoik

• PLi® Core member
  • 8,458 posts

+327
Excellent

Posted 19 May 2015 - 20:30

So my patch does the work, since it will run only if /home/root exists.
Wavefield T90: 0.8W - 1.9E - 4.8E - 13E - 16E - 19.2E - 23.5E - 26E - 33E - 39E - 42E - 45E on EMP Centauri DiseqC 16/1
Unamed: 13E Quattro - 9E Quattro on IKUSI MS-0916

Re: GStreamer 1.0 #1313 christophecvr

• 3,131 posts

+140
Excellent

Posted 19 May 2015 - 20:31

Which will only work if root has it's home on /home, which usually isn't the case (/root).

By an stb the root dir is under /home. This so and is correct since we are working as root user by an stb. And there is only one user and that is the root user also the superuser.

By a pc You work with a user and NEVER should use the root (if it exist). If the root user exist it's meant only and should only be used for system maintenance never run a program as root user, never compile as root user .

At boot time some programs which are made to start as a deamon may have the need in for some caches that's especially for better performance and faster boot. There its' normal that they use root dir for the caches and since there is no root user logged in the root map is set under /  .  That's pretty logic and normal.

The udev rules are not there for nothing but very crucial and needs to be used in a correct way.  A program should only and only be executed as a user never as super user and never deamonise a standard program on a (linux)pc.

Re: GStreamer 1.0 #1314 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 20 May 2015 - 17:59

Christophe, are you really serious trying to lecture me about unix???

Re: GStreamer 1.0 #1315 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 20 May 2015 - 18:05

So my patch does the work, since it will run only if /home/root exists.

Okay, you win :D

Re: GStreamer 1.0 #1316 MastaG

• 1,531 posts

+118
Excellent

Posted 20 May 2015 - 20:06

Sooooooo simply setting $HOME from the enigma2.sh is the solution.
Everything else is spawned from the enigma process and will automatically get the variable as well.
Solved!

Now lets start fixing up master-next-gst1 so we can finally merge it into master:p

Re: GStreamer 1.0 #1317 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 21 May 2015 - 14:05

I merged (again) the OE from master to gst, maybe it helps.

Re: GStreamer 1.0 #1318 gorski

• 1,699 posts

+46
Good

Posted 2 June 2015 - 00:21

So, any developments in the meantime, please? :)

Thanx!!! ;)

<span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'>"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the guidance of another. This immaturity is self-incurred if its cause is not lack of understanding, but lack of resolution and courage to use it without the guidance of another. The motto of enlightenment is therefore: Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!</span><br /> <br /><span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'>Laziness and cowardice are the reasons why such a large proportion of men, even when nature has long emancipated them from alien guidance..." I. Kant, "Political writings" (1784)</span><br /> <br /><span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'><a class='bbc_url' href='<a class='bbc_url' href='http://eserver.org/p...lightenment.txt'>http://eserver.org/p...ent.txt</a>'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.english.upenn.edu/~mgamer/Etexts/kant.html</a>'>http://www.english.upenn.edu/~mgamer/Etexts/kant.html</a></a> - the jolly text on Enlightenment, at the basis of Modernity...</span>

Re: GStreamer 1.0 #1319 MastaG

• 1,531 posts

+118
Excellent

Posted 2 June 2015 - 08:36

I'm using gst-1 with the recipes to use the gstreamer head git posted a few pages back by Athoik.

It's working great here :)

Re: GStreamer 1.0 #1320 gorski

• 1,699 posts

+46
Good

Posted 2 June 2015 - 08:40

Usually no news is good news, otherwise people would have been complaining.... :D

Keep up the great work, guys! :)

<span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'>"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the guidance of another. This immaturity is self-incurred if its cause is not lack of understanding, but lack of resolution and courage to use it without the guidance of another. The motto of enlightenment is therefore: Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!</span><br /> <br /><span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'>Laziness and cowardice are the reasons why such a large proportion of men, even when nature has long emancipated them from alien guidance..." I. Kant, "Political writings" (1784)</span><br /> <br /><span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'><a class='bbc_url' href='<a class='bbc_url' href='http://eserver.org/p...lightenment.txt'>http://eserver.org/p...ent.txt</a>'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.english.upenn.edu/~mgamer/Etexts/kant.html</a>'>http://www.english.upenn.edu/~mgamer/Etexts/kant.html</a></a> - the jolly text on Enlightenment, at the basis of Modernity...</span>

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (2)