Multi videofrequency switching not working

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 TimoJ

• 22 posts

+3
Neutral

Posted 31 October 2013 - 21:34

I'm using VU+ Duo2 with OpenPLi-4.0-beta-vuduo2-20131031. For some reason hdmi-output does not change to 60Hz when Multi is selected for refresh frequency and I watch 720p30 source. I have to manually select 60Hz. It worked fine with Openatv but not with OpenPLi. Is this a known bug?

Re: Multi videofrequency switching not working #2 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 1 November 2013 - 06:08

Yes it is: on all VU-hardware multi doesn't work but is fixed to 50Hz.

In the images of the 'Open Embedded Alliance' a major recode has taken place, with the result that VideoMode is no longer a DM-plugin, but a function embedded in the image. In the recoding process two major VU-bugs have been fixed:

1- the one you mentioned (Multi not working)

2- the (rather random) aspect ratio issue (not displaying the correct aspect ratio on file playback).

And as a bonus AutoResolution has been embedded (a basic function that matches output resolution to the resolution of the video-contents, thus leaving scaling to the TV rather then to the STB).

Re: Multi videofrequency switching not working #3 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,284 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 1 November 2013 - 08:06

Having a plugin as bonus is not always a bonus....

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: Multi videofrequency switching not working #4 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 1 November 2013 - 08:28

Indeed. But as far as I know all E2-images, including PLi, use this DM-plugin.

And in the end the issue was not in the VU-drivers, as has always been claimed, but in exactly that plugin.

Re: Multi videofrequency switching not working #5 pieterg

• PLi® Core member
  • 32,766 posts

+245
Excellent

Posted 1 November 2013 - 09:29

Correction, on other hardware it works without the plugin. The plugin (or integration of 'autoresolution' support in e2) can work around refreshrate and aspectratio switching problems in the drivers, because userspace overrides the driver decisions.

Re: Multi videofrequency switching not working #6 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 1 November 2013 - 09:40

So in PLi the plugin 'VideoMode' isn't present?

I can't check atm as I'm moving.

Re: Multi videofrequency switching not working #7 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 1 November 2013 - 11:14

Correction, on other hardware it works without the plugin. The plugin (or integration of 'autoresolution' support in e2) can work around refreshrate and aspectratio switching problems in the drivers, because userspace overrides the driver decisions.

Hmm, you confuse me; according to your GiT you pre-install enigma2-plugin-systemplugins-videomode on all your images (see http://sourceforge.n...nigma2-image.bb ).

So why would you do that if it's not required?

Re: Multi videofrequency switching not working #8 pieterg

• PLi® Core member
  • 32,766 posts

+245
Excellent

Posted 1 November 2013 - 13:10

'VideoMode' does not set refreshrate and aspectratio on-the-fly, it merely allows you to adjust policies, and lets the drivers make runtime decisions based on those policies.
'AutoResolution' (which is not installed by default) does make on-the-fly adjustments, and can be used to override driver decisions.

Re: Multi videofrequency switching not working #9 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 1 November 2013 - 13:28

'VideoMode' does not set refreshrate and aspectratio on-the-fly, it merely allows you to adjust policies, and lets the drivers make runtime decisions based on those policies.

Yes, that is correct.

And as I said this DM-plugin is no longer required in OE-A images as setting those policies has now been embedded in the image (and as a result now also 'multi' works on VU's and they no longer suffer from the aspect ratio issue).

Re: Multi videofrequency switching not working #10 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,284 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 1 November 2013 - 13:38

as setting those policies has now been embedded in the image

As far I can see they do not change the policies at all...

They just change the output to the TV based on the content of the current played service and therefore they do work-a-round the configured policy of the drivers.

Edited by littlesat, 1 November 2013 - 13:40.

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: Multi videofrequency switching not working #11 TimoJ

• 22 posts

+3
Neutral

Posted 1 November 2013 - 13:48

I'm now testing with OpenVix 3.0 774 kernel 3.3.8 and 'multi' still doesn't work. Autoresolution works and switches output to 720p. So is OpenAtv currently the only one where multi actually works?

Will this fix also come to OpenPLi?

Re: Multi videofrequency switching not working #12 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 1 November 2013 - 13:50

As far I can see they do not change the policies at all...

They just change the output to the TV based on the content of the current played service and therefore they do work-a-round the configured policy of the drivers.

Maybe you look not good then?

The functionality of the old DM VideoMode plugin has been recoded and embedded in the image, with the result as I mentioned above.

Completely apart from that also a kind of mini-AutoResolution has been embedded (only a few settings; this allows output-res to match contents-res; can be enadbled/disabled). But as I said: this is completely apart from the policy-setting.

Edited by SatKiekerd, 1 November 2013 - 13:52.

Re: Multi videofrequency switching not working #13 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 1 November 2013 - 13:51

I'm now testing with OpenVix 3.0 774 kernel 3.3.8 and 'multi' still doesn't work.

Will this fix also come to OpenPLi?

Then I suggest you to report your issue on the relevant forum.

Re: Multi videofrequency switching not working #14 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 1 November 2013 - 14:05

I'm now testing with OpenVix 3.0 774 kernel 3.3.8 and 'multi' still doesn't work. Autoresolution works and switches output to 720p. So is OpenAtv currently the only one where multi actually works?

LOL     O-ATV uses the ViX-code  ;)

Re: Multi videofrequency switching not working #15 TimoJ

• 22 posts

+3
Neutral

Posted 1 November 2013 - 14:36

LOL     O-ATV uses the ViX-code  ;)

I'll have to go back to OpenAtv image and check if it actually works or if I just remembered how it works with my Dreambox 8000...

Edited by TimoJ, 1 November 2013 - 14:36.

Re: Multi videofrequency switching not working #16 pieterg

• PLi® Core member
  • 32,766 posts

+245
Excellent

Posted 1 November 2013 - 14:50

And as I said this DM-plugin is no longer required in OE-A images as setting those policies has now been embedded in the image (and as a result now also 'multi' works on VU's and they no longer suffer from the aspect ratio issue).

I know, you explained that earlier in this thread.

But I was responding to this remark:

And in the end the issue was not in the VU-drivers, as has always been claimed

Just for the record, because I feel that the 'as has always been claimed' part points a finger at us.
The issue was in the drivers, and still is, but VIX is using autoresolution functionality to override driver decisions.
Agreed?

Re: Multi videofrequency switching not working #17 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 1 November 2013 - 15:01

And in the end the issue was not in the VU-drivers, as has always been claimed

Just for the record, because I feel that the 'as has always been claimed' part points a finger at us.
The issue was in the drivers, and still is, but VIX is using autoresolution functionality to override driver decisions.
Agreed?

Nope:
1- I was also pointing at myself, as I was also convinced that to be a driver issue;
2- VIX is not using autoresolution: the user can make the policy settings as before (but the coding behind that has been completely overhauled (and is now embedded)). If he does so, the previous bugs (multi fixed to 50Hz and random wrong aspect ratio) are over & done with.

Completely apart from that the user can set the embedded mini-auto resolution to enabled. Also then he won't be confronted with the named bugs.

So:
1- autoresolution has nothing to do with it; it's an extra and optional setting.
2- all VU's using OE-A images no longer suffer from the named bugs.

Re: Multi videofrequency switching not working #18 TimoJ

• 22 posts

+3
Neutral

Posted 1 November 2013 - 15:03

I just switched back to OpenATV and now 'multi' works. I don't need to activate autoresolution, just 'multi'.

Re: Multi videofrequency switching not working #19 pieterg

• PLi® Core member
  • 32,766 posts

+245
Excellent

Posted 1 November 2013 - 15:12

So:
1- autoresolution has nothing to do with it; it's an extra and optional setting.

(part of) the autoresolution plugin has been ported to e2, that's why I called it 'autoresolution' functionality (even though it only handles refreshrate and aspectratio).

Re: Multi videofrequency switching not working #20 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,284 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 1 November 2013 - 15:38

2- all VU's using OE-A images no longer suffer from the named bugs.

Can I carefully conclude that VU could thank the OE-alliance team for masking out how the VU drivers do perform?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users