• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

Re: Discovered some "bugs" #21 The_Raven

• 204 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 5 April 2014 - 08:09

1. Ah ok, a feature!

2. I check again and report, thx for testing. :)

Re: Discovered some "bugs" #22 The_Raven

• 204 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 5 April 2014 - 09:31

Tested and something is strange...

If i go to "Einstellungen" -> "Aufnahmepfade" (in english i think recording path) i can not change anything. :o

Selecting an entry works, but after that i can not edit.

Can you edit this things?

Re: Discovered some "bugs" #23 ims

• PLi® Core member
  • 13,624 posts

+212
Excellent

Posted 5 April 2014 - 10:07

If a plugin requires a restart to work, the plugin is broken.

Do you want tell, that there is theoretical possibility, that when is plugin changed, then must not be restarted GUI and there does exist way for reload plugin's code only ?

Kdo nic nedělá, nic nezkazí!

Re: Discovered some "bugs" #24 MiLo

• PLi® Core member
  • 14,045 posts

+298
Excellent

Posted 5 April 2014 - 10:23

After installing a plugin, there is no reason whatsoever to reboot. There's nothing to justify that.

Once loaded, it's quite hard to unload a Python plugin. Existing objects will also keep modules referenced, so all existing references will keep using the code that was present when they loaded.

To re-load a module after changing it, you'll have to get rid of all references (also in sys.modules) first. For simple plugins that are activated via menu items, this is doable.
Real musicians never die - they just decompose

Re: Discovered some "bugs" #25 The_Raven

• 204 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 5 April 2014 - 10:28

But some plugins need a restart, otherwise they don't work. Manual fan control for example. The menu entry is only there after a gui restart.

Re: Discovered some "bugs" #26 MiLo

• PLi® Core member
  • 14,045 posts

+298
Excellent

Posted 5 April 2014 - 10:55

That's a bug in the plugin then. That's the message I'm trying to get accross. If it needs a reboot to work, it's broken. Contact the author and complain about it.

Re: Discovered some "bugs" #27 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,269 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 5 April 2014 - 12:14

The plugin must tell if a restart of enigma2 is required... As most plugins do not need this...

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: Discovered some "bugs" #28 MiLo

• PLi® Core member
  • 14,045 posts

+298
Excellent

Posted 5 April 2014 - 15:09

Totally disagree. A plugin must NEVER require a reboot. There shouldn't even be an interface to require it.

Re: Discovered some "bugs" #29 Pedro_Newbie

• 4,631 posts

+225
Excellent

Posted 5 April 2014 - 15:52

But sometimes when you install a plugin it doesn't show up in the plugin list but only after you refresh the list, by for instance pushing the red button for remove and then immediately closing this screen, then it shows up.

Is there a clever way during install to accomplish this e.g. in a postinst script?

Re: Discovered some "bugs" #30 MiLo

• PLi® Core member
  • 14,045 posts

+298
Excellent

Posted 5 April 2014 - 16:15

That sounds like a bug in the plugin list - it should refresh when you install a new one.

Re: Discovered some "bugs" #31 The_Raven

• 204 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 6 April 2014 - 19:24

Checked again and if a NFS-Share is mounted, recording to internal harddisk is not working! Are you absolutely sure it works for you? Have you tried with a NFS-Share or with a CIFS?

Re: Discovered some "bugs" #32 MiLo

• PLi® Core member
  • 14,045 posts

+298
Excellent

Posted 7 April 2014 - 08:07

Maybe you set the "Replace HDD" option?

Re: Discovered some "bugs" #33 The_Raven

• 204 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 7 April 2014 - 17:07

Ha! MiLo you are great! :)

If the option "Replace HDD" under network is set to "no" it does not work (message "Switching to channel for recording" or something (i can tell you the message in german if it helps), but no recording, maybe because the NFS-Share is RO), but if it's set to "yes" the recording starts to HDD!!! :huh: And if it's set to "no" and i edit the timer i see the recording path points to my NAS!

I'm really sure this is not since the beginning, i never had this problem before (if i remember it appears since 3-4 months)

Re: Discovered some "bugs" #34 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 8 April 2014 - 11:36

Totally disagree. A plugin must NEVER require a reboot. There shouldn't even be an interface to require it.

And what about plugins that install system files? Or bring dependencies that do?

Re: Discovered some "bugs" #35 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 8 April 2014 - 11:48

And even more: why would this have been committed if not required?

Commit: 367c104e1d3716861c87905575d0bc729342d79c [367c104]
Parents: 33e4aeedec
Author: acid-burn <acid-burn@opendreambox.org>
Date: 7 February 2011 13:15:40 GMT

PluginSystem: implement new PluginDescriptor option "needsRestart" to define if a plugin needs an enigma2 restart after installation.
Now new installed plugins are only direct accessible after installation if needsRestart=False is defined inside the plugins PluginDescriptor.
fixes #670

And see here: http://sourceforge.n...DBurn/plugin.py: you use it yourself!

Edited by SatKiekerd, 8 April 2014 - 11:49.

Re: Discovered some "bugs" #36 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,588 posts

+1,738
Excellent

Posted 8 April 2014 - 12:50

Author: acid-burn <acid-burn@opendreambox.org>

What do you mean by "you use it yourself"? This is clearly third-party stuff, do you expect us to rewrite it?

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Discovered some "bugs" #37 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 8 April 2014 - 12:56

Anyway, it's an open plugin on the PLi-feeds.
And what about my two questions?

Re: Discovered some "bugs" #38 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,588 posts

+1,738
Excellent

Posted 8 April 2014 - 13:00

I don't know, I am not a plugin builder.

But my 2ct:

A plugin should not introduce system files. If it has system dependencies, those system packages should install themselfs. In Linux the only reason for a reboot is a swap of kernel version. Everything else can be done without reboot. I agree with Milo that if it can't, it's a design or development issue either of the plugin, or the package it depends on.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Discovered some "bugs" #39 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 8 April 2014 - 13:58

A plugin should not introduce system files.

If you would have said 'A plugin should not change existing system-files' I would fully agree.
But not being allowed to introduce system-files would prevent a lot of plugins from adding functionality. Which after all is the very reason to use a plugin in the first place.

If it has system dependencies, those system packages should install themselfs.

They do, if they are dependencies. That's the way installing a plugin works. And dependencies often introduce system-files.

And as system-files are being loaded on boot time (or at E2 start) a reboot (or E2 restart) is required in those cases.

If you would like no plugin to introduce any system-file at all, you should act upon every request from any plugin-builder to add system-files to your default image.

Re: Discovered some "bugs" #40 MiLo

• PLi® Core member
  • 14,045 posts

+298
Excellent

Posted 8 April 2014 - 14:58

If you install (for example) a new NFS server version, the package will stop the running server before installing new files, and start the server when done.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users