• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

Re: Discovered some "bugs" #41 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,598 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 8 April 2014 - 14:59

There is no (technical) need to force a restart, for nothing. Only poor design and/or implementation can cause this requirement. The only thing that needs to be loaded at boottime is the kernel (otherwise you don't have a running OS). All other things can be loaded afterwards, and unloaded, replaced, and loaded again.

You can install or upgrade packages like MySQL or Apache without requiring a restart (not of the OS, and not of the application), so any other tool can do the same...

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Discovered some "bugs" #42 MiLo

• PLi® Core member
  • 14,045 posts

+298
Excellent

Posted 8 April 2014 - 15:02

And what about plugins that install system files? Or bring dependencies that do?

No problem, they'll just install themselves and be available. No need to reboot.
Real musicians never die - they just decompose

Re: Discovered some "bugs" #43 MiLo

• PLi® Core member
  • 14,045 posts

+298
Excellent

Posted 8 April 2014 - 15:05

And even more: why would this have been committed if not required?

Being there does not mean that I agree. The alternative was hordes of angry "I cannot install my plugins" reactions.

Also note that the current behaviour is the opposite of what the author of that patch did, a plugin must explicitly set needsRestart to "True".

Re: Discovered some "bugs" #44 MiLo

• PLi® Core member
  • 14,045 posts

+298
Excellent

Posted 8 April 2014 - 15:08

Replacing a library that has been mapped into the E2 process is a valid reason for restarting Enigma2. Not for restarting the whole system though. And since such libraries should be in separate packages, it would upgrade with the rest of the system, not just when you install a plugin. Installing or removing such libraries is not a problem, if you remove a file while in use by a process, it won't really go away until that process ends.

Re: Discovered some "bugs" #45 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 8 April 2014 - 15:18

.... a plugin must explicitly set needsRestart to "True".

I thought this was what we're talking about?

Re: Discovered some "bugs" #46 The_Raven

• 204 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 8 April 2014 - 16:34

No we are talking about why my recordings are not working! :lol:

I think it's a bug.

But this thing with the plugins is cool. Why do a restart if no restart is needed? But if a restart is needed, do it. :)
 But i think a lot of plugins have to be rewritten.

Re: Discovered some "bugs" #47 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 8 April 2014 - 17:40

Maybe there should be a better distinction between 'system plugins' and 'extensions' then?

And about the NFS-server: what if that's in kernel? Then certainly a reboot would be required on updating it?

Re: Discovered some "bugs" #48 MiLo

• PLi® Core member
  • 14,045 posts

+298
Excellent

Posted 8 April 2014 - 18:57

Installing a plugin will never upgrade the kernel. The kernel upgrades on its own.

Re: Discovered some "bugs" #49 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 9 April 2014 - 14:10

And what about plugins that install system files? Or bring dependencies that do?

No problem, they'll just install themselves and be available. No need to reboot.

I'm not sure if it's a valid comparison, but I must agree: on installing some two hundred apps on my Android phone, not one restart was required. Neither on de-installing them (as I did with most).

Re: Discovered some "bugs" #50 The_Raven

• 204 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 1 May 2014 - 09:27

Back to the "recording-problem":

1. Why is "Record" and "Recording paths" separately listed in setup-menu? If you ask me, "Recording paths" should be in a sub menu of Record.

2. "Recording paths" is not working. Can please someone test if he could change anything? I can only view, but not change the path.

Re: Discovered some "bugs" #51 The_Raven

• 204 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 1 May 2014 - 09:36

Hm, can not edit my previous posting, so sorry for double post.

3. In "Mounts Editor" the remote control is not working correct. I can only write numbers, but no letters. If you try to edit "Mount options" for example.

Re: Discovered some "bugs" #52 ims

• PLi® Core member
  • 13,624 posts

+212
Excellent

Posted 1 May 2014 - 09:38

Back to the "recording-problem":

1. Why is "Record" and "Recording paths" separately listed in setup-menu? If you ask me, "Recording paths" should be in a sub menu of Record.

2. "Recording paths" is not working. Can please someone test if he could change anything? I can only view, but not change the path.

ad 2) works. You can change it, when you have some path created. Press OK on some item in this menu and select some dir. Then you will to have added one

ad 1) It is better imho, because Recording paths is not Recordings/Playback behaviour.

ad 3) "Mount editor" is too broad, can you be more precise ? Where and what is not possible ?

Edited by ims, 1 May 2014 - 09:42.

Kdo nic nedělá, nic nezkazí!

Re: Discovered some "bugs" #53 The_Raven

• 204 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 1 May 2014 - 09:59

Wow, thx for ultra fast response! :)

1) Ok, but then it should stick together in setup menu to get a better overview and you find it better.

2) Hm, maybe im to stupid... I go to Setup -> Recording paths -> Default movie location. It opens a new dialog "Select location". But i can not do anything there?! Navigation does not work, only "ok" to leave the menu, "red", "green" or "blue" key.

3) Menu -> Setup -> System -> Network -> MountManager -> Mountpoints management -> ok to edit a mount point. Go to "Mount options" and try to edit it (rw,nolock,tcp...). I can only write numbers from 0-9 and no letters (like a old mobile phone).

Re: Discovered some "bugs" #54 ims

• PLi® Core member
  • 13,624 posts

+212
Excellent

Posted 1 May 2014 - 10:10

ad 2) Bouq+/Bouq- there swapping between "tree" and between bookmarks.

ad 3) tried, works well ( and with TEXT button can be switched into keyboard too)

May be, you are using some old version image ? What box, what image ?

Edited by ims, 1 May 2014 - 10:15.

Re: Discovered some "bugs" #55 The_Raven

• 204 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 1 May 2014 - 10:47

Box is a VU+ Ultimo with latest openpli (updated today).

2) OMG, ok, this way it works! It was an "Error 2" -> Problem is sitting 2m in front of television :rolleyes:

3) Keyboard is working with text button, but now (after a reboot) input with remotecontrol (not keyboard) is not working anymore. And after i press a button on the remote (normal, "non keyboard mode"), i can not use keyboard. Then i have to leave the menu and join again -> keyboard is working until i make again a input with "non keyboard mode".

4) Why is it not possible to change the EPG-Path by GUI? Can you not put it in Setup -> System -> EPG Settings?

Re: Discovered some "bugs" #56 ims

• PLi® Core member
  • 13,624 posts

+212
Excellent

Posted 1 May 2014 - 10:54

ad 3) i will see on it on vuultimo later

ad 4) Why it is needed ?

Re: Discovered some "bugs" #57 The_Raven

• 204 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 1 May 2014 - 10:59

3) THX, maybe it's an ultimo or VU problem

4) It's default on HDD and i like to but it on usb or internal flash (367MB free, so no problem). Why is record path or other settings needed? ;)

Recording with a connected NFS-Share is now working. Strange. I keep an eye on it.

Re: Discovered some "bugs" #58 ims

• PLi® Core member
  • 13,624 posts

+212
Excellent

Posted 1 May 2014 - 11:06

ad 3) may be, there was some problems with drivers for RC ...

ad 4) it is default on first recording device, imho. There is not needed change it. It is used on start Eě and on restart E2 only.

Different records paths - as is there wroted ...f.eg. when you want timeshift temp file in different dir, Instant recordinding to different path etc...

Re: Discovered some "bugs" #59 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,598 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 1 May 2014 - 11:20

The EPG path has a setting in the E2 config, but indeed there is no GUI item for it so you can change it. I have always found that odd as well.

It would be handy, since there are cases (for example /media/hdd is a NAS mount) that you don't want the epg.dat to be saved on /media/hdd.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Discovered some "bugs" #60 ims

• PLi® Core member
  • 13,624 posts

+212
Excellent

Posted 1 May 2014 - 11:35

ok, then there is possible use HDDSleep plugin ( do not activate sleep via this plugin) and there is possible set EPG path to different disks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users