Ubuntu 14.04 and detached submodules

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Gandalf

• 66 posts

Neutral

Posted 21 September 2014 - 11:38

Hello,

I used to compile my openpli out of an old machine, but I have now upgraded this machine, and therefore installed a more recent Ubuntu 14.04 (x86), which includes a different version of git than my old machine.

With this new version comes a new behavior that I do not understand, maybe it is an issue, maybe not, but I tought I'd rather ask.

When I run the make command, a git submodule sync and git submodule update --init is performed. That seems to go well (ie the content of the submodules gets there), but those branch become detached. For exemple, meta-oppenembedded gives that :

dreambox@ubuntu:~/openpli/openpli-oe-core/meta-openembedded$ git branch -a
* (detached from 5f532a9)
  master
  remotes/origin/HEAD -> origin/master
  remotes/origin/daisy
  remotes/origin/danny
  remotes/origin/danny-next
  remotes/origin/denzil
  remotes/origin/denzil-next
  remotes/origin/dora
  remotes/origin/dylan
  remotes/origin/dylan-next
  remotes/origin/master
  remotes/origin/master-next

Is that an issue at all ? When I do make update later on, will it be stuck on that revision or will it track changes the way is used to ?

Thanks in advance to help me understand what's going on, I must say git is still a little mystery for me :D

G

Re: Ubuntu 14.04 and detached submodules #2 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 25 September 2014 - 09:18

This is absolutely expected and normal behaviour.

If you'd like to work in a submodule, you're supposed to clone it (somewhere else), you're not supposed to work in the submodule.

Edited by Erik Slagter, 25 September 2014 - 09:19.

* Wavefrontier T90 with 28E/23E/19E/13E via SCR switches 2 x 2 x 6 user bands
I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users