Photo

Free command not working

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ligeza

• 3 posts

Neutral

Posted 26 September 2014 - 14:00

I was allways useing "free" command to check memory. In the newest pli version there is no command "free". How can I check info about free memory or is it possible to get beck this command? 

Re: Free command not working #2 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,611 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 26 September 2014 - 14:29

This is exactly why we removed it. You can not determine the amount of free memory with "free". It only leads to false assumptions...

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Free command not working #3 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,960 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 26 September 2014 - 15:17

The amount of "free memory" is far less relevant/interesting than most people think. Only when you start to get processes killed by the linux kernel's OOM-killer, this information may become interesting.

* Wavefrontier T90 with 28E/23E/19E/13E via SCR switches 2 x 2 x 6 user bands
I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: Free command not working #4 malakudi

• 1,449 posts

+69
Good

Posted 26 September 2014 - 16:38

cat /proc/meminfo

Re: Free command not working #5 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,960 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 26 September 2014 - 17:10

And then still you don't know anything...

I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: Free command not working #6 malakudi

• 1,449 posts

+69
Good

Posted 27 September 2014 - 22:27

And then still you don't know anything...

Sure, but I doubt anyone will remove /proc/meminfo from kernel sources.

If people want to run free, let them run it. Who cares?

Re: Free command not working #7 hemertje

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Core member
  • 33,471 posts

+118
Excellent

Posted 27 September 2014 - 22:46

we do, as we get the questions on this forum because of why this and why that... ;)

on the Glassfibre 1GB DVB-C...

Re: Free command not working #8 malakudi

• 1,449 posts

+69
Good

Posted 28 September 2014 - 08:38

OK, now you'll get questions based on /proc/meminfo. Remove that too.

Seriously, just ignore the questions.

Re: Free command not working #9 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,960 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 28 September 2014 - 08:44

I don't think it's very polite to ignore questions.

How would you feel if you had bought a device that has a button with a description you think you understand but it doesn't do what you expect? IMHO it's the right way to remove such a button.

Re: Free command not working #10 wimpie007

• 54 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 7 December 2014 - 11:13

I understand why it was removed, but people should at least have the choice of re-enabling it or reinstall it.

As of now, i can't quickly see if a certain movie causes a memory leak (bad subs for example, common problem on vu duo) and/or swap file usage.

Re: Free command not working #11 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,272 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 7 December 2014 - 11:24

Use the alternative instread....

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: Free command not working #12 wimpie007

• 54 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 7 December 2014 - 11:30

i do use meminfo now, but removing 'free' just won't help people from misinterpreting command-output.

I they don't find 'free', they will google and find the /proc/...

Re: Free command not working #13 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,960 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 7 December 2014 - 17:21

We hope that in the meantime, while googling, they get to read some background information as well and so they'll be better informed.

Re: Free command not working #14 christophecvr

• 3,131 posts

+140
Excellent

Posted 8 December 2014 - 14:11

Just use Systemtools there is an alternatif for free mem. But A more right note about the still avbl memory for applications. As indeed the free was not really representaf for that.

In despit the fact that strictly speaking Eric Slaghter and Littlesat are right. It's unfortunately just theory. You better say it's supposed to work like they said. In reallity it does not with more recent linux kernels. In the old kernels it did work like that on stb's.

With more recent kernels (all above 2.6.26) It does not by stb's. If You're free mem is low, You're box hangs and will need hard reboot if avbl memory is to low. Seems that freeing off buffers not in use anymore does not work like it should on stb's with recent kernels.

On pc this works ok. On stb's at least dm8000 not but even the vuduo2 does suffer from it. If You play a couple off dvd iso , recorded movies or audio after each other whitout reboot .

Typ:

After You played a dvd movie , audio or ...

Use the command trough telnet sync; echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

Or in system tools You can use command Clean Memory (when dvd iso playing iso playing audio playing or ... ist stopped)

You will not have problems with a stuck box anymore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users