Bricked my DM800 with OTA Update?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 toxstoxs

• 33 posts

Neutral

Posted 22 November 2014 - 08:59

Hi everyone.
yesterday by case I went trought menu settings and saw that my system was pretty old and out of date..

I made the update as I did several times in past and, after reboot it sadly stop with a CA not Found.

it's not even working the flashing procedure of pressing the power button and switch on the box

I tried also from service USB port to force the dhcp to get the lan address but it hang with a distortion of LCD image where I can hardly see again the words CA not found.

Did I blow up my box with a OTA? is that possible?

can anyone advise some tricks or solution?

thanks in advance for any help.

Re: Bricked my DM800 with OTA Update? #2 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,614 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 22 November 2014 - 09:24

CA not Found means a security (chip) failure.

What DM800 is it? Original or a Clone?

This is a common issue when trying to use OpenPLi on a clone box...

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Bricked my DM800 with OTA Update? #3 toxstoxs

• 33 posts

Neutral

Posted 22 November 2014 - 09:28

regular DM800 I've 2 of them. the security SIM is placed and original.
I know there are boxes sold with cheap solution such Ferrari or Sim 2.10. it's not my case.

and if it mean a security problem... it can be caused from a simple online update?
the box were working perfectly for weeks with a system updated in the same way from OpenPLI.
I'm very concerned about what's happened.

thanks

Edited by toxstoxs, 22 November 2014 - 09:31.

Re: Bricked my DM800 with OTA Update? #4 athoik

• PLi® Core member
  • 8,458 posts

+327
Excellent

Posted 22 November 2014 - 09:42

DM800 has no OE updates, maybe you have DM800se?
Wavefield T90: 0.8W - 1.9E - 4.8E - 13E - 16E - 19.2E - 23.5E - 26E - 33E - 39E - 42E - 45E on EMP Centauri DiseqC 16/1
Unamed: 13E Quattro - 9E Quattro on IKUSI MS-0916

Re: Bricked my DM800 with OTA Update? #5 toxstoxs

• 33 posts

Neutral

Posted 22 November 2014 - 09:51

DM800 has no OE updates, maybe you have DM800se?

Surely yes... my fault to be soo general on the model...

DM800 se

Re: Bricked my DM800 with OTA Update? #6 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,614 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 22 November 2014 - 09:57

Then you ignored the warning you get before you update. The image is broken at the moment. Only option is to flash the box serially, with an older image.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: Bricked my DM800 with OTA Update? #7 toxstoxs

• 33 posts

Neutral

Posted 22 November 2014 - 10:09

Yes... it's true..

now that you say me.. i confirm you that (as happen also in some update in past) i saw a warning that the image could be UNSTABLE

but i never had problem before so.. i confidently went on.

Also because UNSTABLE i thought didn't mean BROKED or able to BICK. :D

Re: Bricked my DM800 with OTA Update? #8 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,614 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 22 November 2014 - 10:33

There are two warnings.

The first one ("you are using beta software that might be unstable") you should always get.

Besides that one, we can enable, on our website, a notice or an alert per box (http://openpli.org/d...eambox/dm800se/ for the 800SE), that is also displayed on the box, with the message not to upgrade.

With a notice, we mean some part of the box will not function, but it's primary function (watching TV) is operational. An alert means it's broken, do not update. It is displayed on the website in red.

Re: Bricked my DM800 with OTA Update? #9 toxstoxs

• 33 posts

Neutral

Posted 22 November 2014 - 10:50

i'm totally honest...

yes i been drinking a bit with friends yesterday evening.. but i were surely not drunk.. :)

And i didn't saw any Red warning message saying DO NOT UPGRADE.. :)

Anyway... i believe all is like you said.. but at the moment.. i'd like to know how i can fix the box.. :D

Re: Bricked my DM800 with OTA Update? #10 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,614 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:23

You'll need DreamUp, the dreamup USB driver (can be downloaded from the Dream website) and a correct microUSB cable. And and old image, let's say from around the 15th.

Re: Bricked my DM800 with OTA Update? #11 rolf2

• 17 posts

Neutral

Posted 22 November 2014 - 14:08

just use dreamup to flash seconstage boot loader, that's all. No need to reflash all image

Re: Bricked my DM800 with OTA Update? #12 mimisiku

• 5,461 posts

+114
Excellent

Posted 23 November 2014 - 11:53

Don't get me wrong! Have been a fan of OpenPli since the transition fron Pli into OpenPli. Respect all developers and since the service is provided for free you can't realy 'moan' when somethings goes wrong. This being said:
I have left OpenPli for a simple reason: in the earlier years most images were tested before being sent out to the public. Off course, small errors were possible but never ever so serious that a box was bricked. Last year this happened more and more. After some argumenting with mods here their answer is 'more or less'. Well don't upgrade, or why update every day? My response: well, if we are not allowed to update why send out the updates every day? I fully understand that those nightly builds don't change much.. But still. OpenPli simply use their audience as guinea pigs. And that's not acceptable...

Another 2 cents:
Why in God's name embedding an SSL that hasn't changed since 2011 anyway?? They say BitBake insists on it, but why not take that section out of BitBake then?? Bootloaders should be offered seperately and by the original manufacturer only simply because of the risk involved...
Met één been in het graf..... Helaas

Re: Bricked my DM800 with OTA Update? #13 athoik

• PLi® Core member
  • 8,458 posts

+327
Excellent

Posted 23 November 2014 - 11:58

Regarding your 2 cents tell DMM to learn how static build work... Then provide binaries that do not depent on ancient libraries.

Honestly DMM is ignoring us... so time to ingore then too?...
Wavefield T90: 0.8W - 1.9E - 4.8E - 13E - 16E - 19.2E - 23.5E - 26E - 33E - 39E - 42E - 45E on EMP Centauri DiseqC 16/1

Re: Bricked my DM800 with OTA Update? #14 zeros

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,635 posts

+61
Good

Posted 23 November 2014 - 12:56

Please tell, if this update is ready for use also with dreamboxes!!!
After reflashing with DreamUp all OK again. But the image is older than in feed. 
I also got with my Dreambox DM7020 HD  "2nd failed!" and "Wait"...

DM920UHD DVB-S2X TRIPLE tuner + Triple M.S tuner DVB-S2X, DVB-T2/T, QboxHD, QboxHD Mini, Icecrypt T2300HD,
Qviart Lunix3 4K, Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 4GB & 8GB

Vertex 4K60 4:4:4 600MHz

Re: Bricked my DM800 with OTA Update? #15 theparasol

• 4,157 posts

+198
Excellent

Posted 23 November 2014 - 13:13

Please tell, if this update is ready for use also with dreamboxes!!!

Checkout here...

http://openpli.org/d...eambox/dm800se/

As long as the message "Errors have been reported for this receiver, please see the issues thread in the forums: NL / EN / DE" is stated there dont update!!!

@Camping: ZGemma H.2S, Technisat Multytenne 4-in-1 @Home: Edision Mini 4K, Wave Frontier T55, EMP Centauri EMP DiSEqC 8/1 switch, 4x Inverto Ultra Black single LNB

Re: Bricked my DM800 with OTA Update? #16 mimisiku

• 5,461 posts

+114
Excellent

Posted 23 November 2014 - 18:49

Regarding your 2 cents tell DMM to learn how static build work... Then provide binaries that do not depent on ancient libraries.

Unfortunately, I am just a lonely consumer without any power (read lots of money laying around) so DMM will give a flying fart about my 2 cents (and probably yours too)
Met één been in het graf..... Helaas

Re: Bricked my DM800 with OTA Update? #17 athoik

• PLi® Core member
  • 8,458 posts

+327
Excellent

Posted 23 November 2014 - 18:57

At least

Unfortunately, I am just a lonely consumer without any power (read lots of money laying around) so DMM will give a flying fart about my 2 cents (and probably yours too)

To be honest you still have OpenPLi images because some (community) people still spend time to fix isuess.

OpenPLi statement (http://openpli.org/n...ultimedia-stbs/) is crystal clear, when DMM images stop to build then this will be the end, for those boxes.

Re: Bricked my DM800 with OTA Update? #18 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,614 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 23 November 2014 - 23:36

@mimisiku,

You can simply can't please everyone. When we had controlled releases, everyone complained that it took way to long for bugs to be fixed, because you had to wiat for the next release. But as you said,  stuff was a lot more tested.

Then PLi became OpenPLi, and every change was immediately (= next day if the build succeeded ;)) available, but with the downside that it wasn't properly tested, the buildserver just grabbed the source as it was available. Also, instead of using controlled forks of everything external, the build server uses the external source directly. Again, always the latest code, but with the downside that is could be broken too (or break the build because of that). And don't forget there's a lot more hardware to support than "in the old days".

So, now people complain again, even though everyone knows it's untested and it might not work.

We are aware of this, and very busy determining how to progress, and make both groups equally happy... :)

Re: Bricked my DM800 with OTA Update? #19 rolamento

• 14 posts

Neutral

Posted 24 November 2014 - 00:20

Hi all,

I had exactly the same problem and crashed my DM500HD upgrading to the latest beta.

i already fix it with dreamup.

Before flashing OpenPLI  again to the last working beta version, i have downloaded the old flash contents from the boot GUI that returned a 60MB file called "FLASH".

Now i want to unpack it to access my old settings, do you know if there is anyway to open it?

Thank you for your help.

Re: Bricked my DM800 with OTA Update? #20 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,960 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 24 November 2014 - 15:22

To be honest you still have OpenPLi images because some (community) people still spend time to fix isuess.

Yes, Thanks athoik!

* Wavefrontier T90 with 28E/23E/19E/13E via SCR switches 2 x 2 x 6 user bands
I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users