• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Re: How replace sdb1 or sdc1 by a name? #21 blzr

• PLi® Core member
  • 2,269 posts

+118
Excellent

Posted 26 November 2014 - 16:09

If I type e2label /dev/sdc1, I see "BackupDisk", if I go in /media and type ls, I see sdc1 :unsure: .

tune2fs /dev/sdc1 -L BackupDisk give's the same result as e2label.

PS : blzr, my disk is connected with esata.

hmm...

maybe this 'mount by the label' feature just does not work with esata disks for some reason (not treated as removable/external device or something /?/)

I don't have any esata disk to test, maybe someone already tried or can test?

True sarcasm doesn't need green font...

Re: How replace sdb1 or sdc1 by a name? #22 sjlouis

• 1,538 posts

+3
Neutral

Posted 26 November 2014 - 16:39

Biki have one :lol: .

Since the last update, I haven't any more problems to connect my disk. Before, it was very difficult, The box saw it only one time for 4 or 5 tries :wacko: , even after a reboot.

Vu+ Ultimo 4K - OpenPli 8.3

Xtrend ET9200 - OpenPli 6.2

Re: How replace sdb1 or sdc1 by a name? #23 Pike_Bishop

• 1,130 posts

+72
Good

Posted 26 November 2014 - 22:01

hi sjlouis,

Biki, how do you see your external disc? With sdc1 or with a label?

with uuid in fstab :)

here my examples;

UUID=7ddeaea6-1123-4464-97ca-ae17fc476d4e	/media/hdd	ext3   rw,data=ordered   0  0
UUID=841E-F342	/media/usb	vfat	defaults	0 0
UUID=a8574e3a-d13a-4357-a272-e4e05851127a	/media/usb2	ext3   rw,data=ordered   0  0

so as you can see in my code my internal hdd is mountet to /media/hdd

my usb-stick is mountet to /media/usb

and my external usb hdd is mountet to /media/usb2

and i have also a external esata hdd which isn't in fstab because i need it only to backup my movies from my internal hdd

on it and so i mount it with a script (also with uuid) if required to mountpoint /media/hdd2

Biki have one :lol: .

Since the last update, I haven't any more problems to connect my disk. Before, it was very difficult, The box saw it only one time for 4 or 5 tries :wacko: , even after a reboot.

:D

regards

Biki3

Edited by Biki3, 26 November 2014 - 22:04.

Receiver: VU Ultimo 4K, Octagon SF8008 4K, Gigablue Quad 4K

Image: OpenPLI-8.3

Re: How replace sdb1 or sdc1 by a name? #24 sjlouis

• 1,538 posts

+3
Neutral

Posted 27 November 2014 - 09:09

Ok. Biki, the script's king :lol: .

Why do you give a name to the USB key? It's always USB.

How can you read the fstab table when you connect your external hard disk because it's necessary to boot the box? You boot the box every time you connect the disk?

Re: How replace sdb1 or sdc1 by a name? #25 MiLo

• PLi® Core member
  • 14,045 posts

+298
Excellent

Posted 27 November 2014 - 10:37

OpenPLi always checks /etc/fstab first when mounting a device. The file isn't just for booting.
Real musicians never die - they just decompose

Re: How replace sdb1 or sdc1 by a name? #26 sjlouis

• 1,538 posts

+3
Neutral

Posted 27 November 2014 - 11:52

Ok, thus Its needs to launch the script, it modifies the fstab table, the user switch on the external disk and after (a response?) the script launches the backup.

Re: How replace sdb1 or sdc1 by a name? #27 Pike_Bishop

• 1,130 posts

+72
Good

Posted 27 November 2014 - 16:28

Ok, thus Its needs to launch the script, it modifies the fstab table, the user switch on the external disk and after (a response?) the script launches the backup.

is this a question to me ?

if yes;

i didn't use a script to backup my movies i use the plugin moviearchiver for that.

and my script with which i mount my external esata hdd is only a mount script and independent from fstab.

if a hdd or usb-stick or whatever is mountet by fstab you still can mount it simultaneous with a script to an other mountpoint too

Why do you give a name to the USB key? It's always USB.

maybe nowadays it works without problems but this was not always so if users use more than one medium on the box

and therefore - sure is sure ;)

regards

Biki3

Edited by Biki3, 27 November 2014 - 16:30.

Re: How replace sdb1 or sdc1 by a name? #28 sjlouis

• 1,538 posts

+3
Neutral

Posted 27 November 2014 - 18:46

Ok Biki.

Otherwise with UUID in fstab, I have now my disk name (finally I call it Disk-Backup) in the Movie Player. But I have to reboot the box otherwise I still have sdc1.

But when I switch off the disk, Disk-Backup remains in the MoviePlayer list while if there is not the command in fstab, sdc1 disappears of the MoviePlayer list. Is it normal?

Re: How replace sdb1 or sdc1 by a name? #29 Pike_Bishop

• 1,130 posts

+72
Good

Posted 27 November 2014 - 19:37

Hi sjlouis,

But when I switch off the disk, Disk-Backup remains in the MoviePlayer list while if there is not the command in fstab, sdc1 disappears of the MoviePlayer list. Is it normal?

hmm i don't know but it isn't a problem i think.

maybe Disk-Backup disappears if you refresh your movie list.

as example; i use EMC and i mount a external disc to /media/usb2 and then i make a link for this external disc to the moviedir (media/hdd/movie) which is on my internal disc

so that i can see and play my movies from the exterrnal disc also with EMC - the link has the name External_hdd

and now i umount this external disc and also remove the link (with a script) and then i open EMC i still can see the Link with name External_hdd

if i then refresh the movielist in EMC the link with name External_hdd is gone.

but i don't know if there is a option to refresh the movie list in movie Player.

you switch off your disc with a button on the disc case, but before you switch off to keep in mind umount the disc, otherwise you can have data loss on the disc - that's important.

regards

Biki3

Re: How replace sdb1 or sdc1 by a name? #30 sjlouis

• 1,538 posts

+3
Neutral

Posted 27 November 2014 - 20:14

To refresh the Movie list, I exit Movie Player.

I switch off the disk when I'm sure there is no writing or reading in progress.

It's a little problem because when I see the disk in the list, I'm sure it's seen by the box. If it isn't in the list, the box doesn't see it and my backup will do a copy on an imaginary directory.

Re: How replace sdb1 or sdc1 by a name? #31 sjlouis

• 1,538 posts

+3
Neutral

Posted 29 November 2014 - 17:20

I've done some tries and it's a little astonishing :

- When I reboot the box with the fstab modified, Movie Player sees the new name even if I haven't plugged the disk and I can also see it from Windows Explorer while the plugin Dream-Explorer don't see it nor the system initializer (from the settings menu).

- When I connect the disk, no change for Movie Player and Windows Explorer except that I can see the contents of the disk ;) . Dream-Explorer sees "external storage sdc" (or sdb) :blink: .

- When I added another line for another disk, I have big problems and crashes, then I examined what I have written in fstab :

UUID=0e43c540-a28e-4e09-9ba8-0177b38cb4cf /media/hdd-backup auto defaults 0 0

UUID=5537e3aa-12aa-4ec0-a822-c31b0a13a02a /media/hdd-supplem auto defaults 0 0

It was similar as I saw in fstab but it was not the same thing than Biki. Then I replaced it with :

UUID=0e43c540-a28e-4e09-9ba8-0177b38cb4cf /media/hdd-backup ext4   rw,data=ordered   0  0
UUID=5537e3aa-12aa-4ec0-a822-c31b0a13a02a /media/hdd-supplem ext4  rw,data=ordered   0  0

And it works, it seems I have no crashes any more. But these names appears even if the disk aren't be connected and it doesn't change if I connect them. A little surprising. At least, the name remains the same if I boot (sdb) or not (sdc), that' what I wanted but if somebody have an explanation for the fact the name appears always, it wouls be more convenient.

Thank you :) .

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users