• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Re: Good alternative to OpenPLI ? #21 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,273 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 5 December 2014 - 08:07

The backup option is something openpli has in a plugin (autoplugin). Openpli does not have panal+ or blur pannels... We try to integrate such stuff... But here autobackup is a bad example...

Edited by littlesat, 5 December 2014 - 08:09.

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: Good alternative to OpenPLI ? #22 athoik

• PLi® Core member
  • 8,458 posts

+327
Excellent

Posted 5 December 2014 - 08:18

Be aware that for non-Greek speaking people it is virtually impossible to register, which is required for downloading.

No, not at all, no register is required for downloading. Just click "Satdreamgr Images" on the front page.

Attached File  front_page.png   30.04KB   17 downloads

There is also a language selector but the skin choose to put that on the bottom right. I'll inform site admin to change that.

Attached File  bottom.png   4.13KB   16 downloads

Wavefield T90: 0.8W - 1.9E - 4.8E - 13E - 16E - 19.2E - 23.5E - 26E - 33E - 39E - 42E - 45E on EMP Centauri DiseqC 16/1
Unamed: 13E Quattro - 9E Quattro on IKUSI MS-0916

Re: Good alternative to OpenPLI ? #23 MiLo

• PLi® Core member
  • 14,045 posts

+298
Excellent

Posted 5 December 2014 - 08:30

- What is OpenPLI based on? Scratch rewrite?

OpenPLi is based on OpenEmbedded "core". This is also the heart of Yocto (formerly known as Poky) and it's basically a system to build Linux distributions for any kind of hardware.

This means that OpenPLi can run on any hardware that can run Linux. This is not limited to certain brands or chip types, you could run it on an Android device, a Beagleboard or even on an FPGA softcore.

The "enigma2" application, which is basically the thing that you see on your TV screen and interact with, requires that the system has video output (a.k.a. framebuffer) and that it supports DVB (digital video broadcasting) through video4linux. This is the requirement that is kinda hard to fullfill without dedicated hardware like DVB tuners and hardware decoders, so that's why only settop boxes run OpenPLi.

I guess if these images use the OpenPLI source code but compile with a different C library, it should work fine. But for how long?

C libraries are backward and forward compatible. A good example is CCcam, which is an ancient binary compiled in someone's attic using a development environment which probably doesn't exits any more. It still runs fine on the latest systems.

Which doesn't change the fact that any project without soruce code is doomed to fail some day.
Real musicians never die - they just decompose

Re: Good alternative to OpenPLI ? #24 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 5 December 2014 - 09:23

Be aware that for non-Greek speaking people it is virtually impossible to register, which is required for downloading.

No, not at all, no register is required for downloading. Just click "Satdreamgr Images" on the front page.

Well, I tried to download a plugin (SDG-imagedownloader), but I was directed to the login page.

Re: Good alternative to OpenPLI ? #25 athoik

• PLi® Core member
  • 8,458 posts

+327
Excellent

Posted 5 December 2014 - 09:56

Again downloads are under "Satdreamgr Images" page, just use find.

Attached File  imgd.png   13.28KB   14 downloads

Now if there are downloads attached in posts, I guess you have to register, just like in OpenPLi forum. Please if you have suggestions about "SatdreamGR" forum, post them there, a moderator/admin will answer.

Wavefield T90: 0.8W - 1.9E - 4.8E - 13E - 16E - 19.2E - 23.5E - 26E - 33E - 39E - 42E - 45E on EMP Centauri DiseqC 16/1
Unamed: 13E Quattro - 9E Quattro on IKUSI MS-0916

Re: Good alternative to OpenPLI ? #26 janejak

• 284 posts

+11
Neutral

Posted 5 December 2014 - 11:22

Well, I tried to download a plugin (SDG-imagedownloader), but I was directed to the login page.

u find it here: http://sgcpm.com/

Re: Good alternative to OpenPLI ? #27 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 5 December 2014 - 11:24

Thanks.

Re: Good alternative to OpenPLI ? #28 Marc-UK

• 39 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 5 December 2014 - 21:19

Yes, that is the distribution site. You can find images under the link "SatDreamGr Images" available on front page.

We also have an English Section for non Greek users: http://www.satdreamg...English-Section

Finally our releases/improvements are announced here usually in Greek and English.

Strange... I changed the forum language to English (bottom right of the page) and registered in a few minutes

Re: Good alternative to OpenPLI ? #29 Marc-UK

• 39 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 5 December 2014 - 21:27

But I am confused with how development forked from the original DMM image:

- What is OE? Open Embedded?

- Is OpenDreambox / Dreambox Update the same thing as OE?

- Correct. it is the linux distrubution used on the box (like you would use Fedora or Ubuntu on a PC)

- No clue, looks like it being maintained by DMM (so it's not that open at all?)

- It is a fork of the last available GPL version of Enigma2, years ago, on top of our own OE environment

OpenPLi is based on OpenEmbedded "core". This is also the heart of Yocto (formerly known as Poky) and it's basically a system to build Linux distributions for any kind of hardware.

This means that OpenPLi can run on any hardware that can run Linux. This is not limited to certain brands or chip types, you could run it on an Android device, a Beagleboard or even on an FPGA softcore.

The "enigma2" application, which is basically the thing that you see on your TV screen and interact with, requires that the system has video output (a.k.a. framebuffer) and that it supports DVB (digital video broadcasting) through video4linux. This is the requirement that is kinda hard to fullfill without dedicated hardware like DVB tuners and hardware decoders, so that's why only settop boxes run OpenPLi.

I guess if these images use the OpenPLI source code but compile with a different C library, it should work fine. But for how long?

C libraries are backward and forward compatible. A good example is CCcam, which is an ancient binary compiled in someone's attic using a development environment which probably doesn't exits any more. It still runs fine on the latest systems.

Which doesn't change the fact that any project without soruce code is doomed to fail some day.

Thank you both, it is clear now.

One more question then: How often do you re-embed the changes from OE in the OpenPLI image? Seems like OE is also quite active.

Re: Good alternative to OpenPLI ? #30 hemertje

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Core member
  • 33,471 posts

+118
Excellent

Posted 6 December 2014 - 09:24

It depends on the progress and features
There is no regular time to update

on the Glassfibre 1GB DVB-C...

Re: Good alternative to OpenPLI ? #31 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,960 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 6 December 2014 - 09:26

Quite often actually, lately, exactly for that reason.

* Wavefrontier T90 with 28E/23E/19E/13E via SCR switches 2 x 2 x 6 user bands
I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: Good alternative to OpenPLI ? #32 peba

• 17 posts

Neutral

Posted 14 December 2014 - 18:32

I want to come back to the begin of this discussion:

Why changing to another image?

My 800se was is running fine with an older build of OpenPLi-4.0.

As I read this thread I installed the latest build OpenPLi-4.0-beta-dm800se-20141213 and the box ist still running fine.

Edited by peba, 14 December 2014 - 18:32.

Re: Good alternative to OpenPLI ? #33 mimisiku

• 5,461 posts

+114
Excellent

Posted 14 December 2014 - 18:47

Seems they've got it licked. The red notice has been removed for all DM downloads. Reports show that the Nightly builds are working again on these boxes....
Met één been in het graf..... Helaas

Re: Good alternative to OpenPLI ? #34 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,612 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 15 December 2014 - 01:20

Yup. After loosing pounds in sweat and tears... ;)

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Good alternative to OpenPLI ? #35 Marc-UK

• 39 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 21 December 2014 - 16:45

Yes, that is the distribution site. You can find images under the link "SatDreamGr Images" available on front page.

We also have an English Section for non Greek users: http://www.satdreamg...English-Section

Finally our releases/improvements are announced here usually in Greek and English.

Thank you Athoik. I registered and downloaded your image. I'll give it a try over Xmas vacation

Done. Replaced my OpenPLI image with SatDreamGr this afternoon: Image is slick and seems stable.

Forum and moderators are responsive. Thank you

Re: Good alternative to OpenPLI ? #36 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,612 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 21 December 2014 - 17:30

And why exactly did you? SatDreamGr is based on OpenPLi after all? The temporary issues with DM images we had are already solved...

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: Good alternative to OpenPLI ? #37 Marc-UK

• 39 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 21 December 2014 - 18:26

And why exactly did you? SatDreamGr is based on OpenPLi after all? The temporary issues with DM images we had are already solved...

Many reasons but most important:

- They have Dreamboxes to test their images, so they should not put a broken one online

- They have some Dreambox specific tuning

- They do not operate in a blind daily mode (ie. by automatically generating untested images every day); they chose what they incorporate before compiling. At least that's my understanding

I used OpenPLI for 1.5 years and was pleased with it. I will continue to monitor this forum and OpenPLI, but I cannot afford to brick my box and spend hours fixing. If I could afford a second box, I would be more comfortable to "play" with daily builds. I want a stable installation, not to take part in a large scale beta test.

Let's see how it goes ;)

Re: Good alternative to OpenPLI ? #38 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,612 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 21 December 2014 - 18:48

They use OpenPLi source, so any issue in OpenPLi becomes an issue there too. And Athoik, who is behind those images, works very hard on fixing OpenPLi directly.

If your box is bricked, it is because YOU updated without knowing what you update to. You can not blame your image maker for doing something stupid.

I never blindly update my main viewing box either, only if I'm absolutely sure there are no issues. And I always have the previous image and/or a backup available should I need to restore.

Re: Good alternative to OpenPLI ? #39 theparasol

• 4,157 posts

+198
Excellent

Posted 21 December 2014 - 18:55

The guy is talking about hours to fix his bricked box... Whats he doing with it that takes hours? Talk to the box to get things running spontanious again?

...Like flashing a working backup back is something like a 5 minutes job!

@Camping: ZGemma H.2S, Technisat Multytenne 4-in-1 @Home: Edision Mini 4K, Wave Frontier T55, EMP Centauri EMP DiSEqC 8/1 switch, 4x Inverto Ultra Black single LNB

Re: Good alternative to OpenPLI ? #40 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,612 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 21 December 2014 - 18:59

That requires having a backup offcourse. If not it means finding an image file that works, and going through the setup again.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users