Photo

Why are the NAS shares deleted after a reboot?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Bastelbox

• 71 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 18 January 2015 - 13:00

Hi,

yesterday I bought a VU+ Zero.

It's the second VU+ for me. My first one is a VU+ Solo2 that has no HDD inside. Instead of this the VU+ Solo2 is connected by CIFS to a Synology NAS. To let this work I configured automounts.xml in /etc/enigma2 and created folders in /media/net. Works without any issues for two years now.

Now I try to do the same thing on the tiny Zero: Created a user "vuzero" with read/write permissions to the stream folder, where the TV recordings are strored. The installation was successful and I could watch all films in "stream". But after a reboot the folders in media/net were gone. Nothing threre.

So I created the same folders again. but after a reboot they are deleted. I created the folders with root permissions with a ftp-client and in a terminal. It made no difference, all shared folders are away.

Do you have an idea, why this happens?

Thanks and regards

Bastelbox

Re: Why are the NAS shares deleted after a reboot? #2 MiLo

• PLi® Core member
  • 14,045 posts

+298
Excellent

Posted 18 January 2015 - 13:57

/media is in RAM, hence volatile, which means it will not survive a reboot.

Either use enigma2 to mount, or use /etc/fstab to create the mounts. Both will automatically create folders as needed.

Otherwise, you'll have to create a "volatile" package to pre-populate the /media/ RAM filesystem.
Real musicians never die - they just decompose

Re: Why are the NAS shares deleted after a reboot? #3 Bastelbox

• 71 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 18 January 2015 - 15:02

/media is in RAM, hence volatile, which means it will not survive a reboot.

Either use enigma2 to mount, or use /etc/fstab to create the mounts. Both will automatically create folders as needed.

Otherwise, you'll have to create a "volatile" package to pre-populate the /media/ RAM filesystem.

Ok, I understand. Is this different to the VU+ Solo2? Because it works there without any issues.

To which folder should the entry in the fstab link, if /media is part of the RAM? For example: Right now the fstab looks like this:
rootfs               /                    auto       defaults              1  1
proc                 /proc                proc       defaults              0  0
devpts               /dev/pts             devpts     mode=0620,gid=5       0  0
usbdevfs             /proc/bus/usb        usbdevfs   noauto                0  0
tmpfs                /var/volatile        tmpfs      defaults              0  0
#CIFS stream
//[LAN_IP_OF_SYNO]/stream etc/NASstream cifs username=[USER-ID_ON_SYNO],password=[PASSWD_ON_SYNO],sec=ntlmv2,iocharset=utf8,noperm,auto 0 0

But this doesn't work (the Syno fits with ntlmv2).

Regards

Bastelbox

Re: Why are the NAS shares deleted after a reboot? #4 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,617 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 18 January 2015 - 15:14

As MiLo said, the folder will be automatically created.

My boxes have several mounts in fstab, to different folders in /media, and these folders are all created on the fly without problems.

Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that you don't use folders in /media, but in /media/net? Perhaps those aren't properly detected? Or creation fails because /media/net doesn't exist either?

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Why are the NAS shares deleted after a reboot? #5 Bastelbox

• 71 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 18 January 2015 - 16:42

As MiLo said, the folder will be automatically created.

My boxes have several mounts in fstab, to different folders in /media, and these folders are all created on the fly without problems.

Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that you don't use folders in /media, but in /media/net? Perhaps those aren't properly detected? Or creation fails because /media/net doesn't exist either?

Yes, I guess, that's the problem. Something's destroyed in the Vu+ Zero system. There is no /media/net anymore and I don't find a way to recreate it. So i will flash again and will have a look, if it will work better.

Re: Why are the NAS shares deleted after a reboot? #6 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,617 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 18 January 2015 - 17:10

There hasn't been a /media/net for a very long time, what software version is your box running?

As MiLo said, /media is dynamically created in tmpfs (in memory), so NOTHING exists anymore, everything is created on the fly whenever it is referenced in fstab or automount.xml.

The point I'm trying to make is that perhaps the "on the fly" creation fails because /media/net needs to be created before you can create /media/net/mountpoint, and I can imagine that the logic that does this on-the-fly creation does not take care of recursive folder creation.

So I suggest you  use a mountpoint in /media for the time being, while MiLo confirms or denies my assumption. ;)

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: Why are the NAS shares deleted after a reboot? #7 Bastelbox

• 71 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 18 January 2015 - 21:44

So, finally I flashed a new image (nightly build from tonight), and it seems to work now with the automount.xml. Dunno what went wrong with the previous installation...

I'm sorry, but my english is not really good. Did I understand you right, when I say:

- it's not necessary to create the share folders in /media anymore ?

- 'cause they will be build up on-the-fly after every boot ?

- e.g. the share should be named /media/net/NASstream -> so I don't have to create neither /media/net nor /media/net/NASstream. The only requirement is to set the entry /media/net/NASstream in the /media/net/NASstream or in /etc/fstab ?

Regards

Bastelbox

Re: Why are the NAS shares deleted after a reboot? #8 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,617 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 18 January 2015 - 22:32

I am not sure it will automatically create /media/netNASstream, I am very sure it will create /media/NASstream.

Other than that, you are correct, you have understood it fine. ;)

Re: Why are the NAS shares deleted after a reboot? #9 Bastelbox

• 71 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 19 January 2015 - 21:32

Ok, switched on the VU+ Zero today and the network shares are missing again.  :(

But now I'm one step further. When I press "connect again" (german: erneut verbinden) in the Mountmanager the shares are back and everything's fine. But it doesn't work automatically.

Here's the automounts.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<mountmanager>
<cifs>
 <mount>
  <active>True</active>
  <hdd_replacement>False</hdd_replacement>
  <ip>XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX</ip>
  <sharename>NASstream</sharename>
  <sharedir>stream</sharedir>
  <options>rw</options>
  <username>[USER]</username>
  <password>[PASS]</password>
 </mount>
</cifs>
<cifs>
 <mount>
  <active>True</active>
  <ip>XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX</ip>
  <sharename>NASmusic</sharename>
  <sharedir>music</sharedir>
  <options>ro</options>
 </mount>
</cifs>
<cifs>
 <mount>
  <active>True</active>
  <ip>XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX</ip>
  <sharename>NASbilder</sharename>
  <sharedir>bilder</sharedir>
  <options>ro</options>
 </mount>
</cifs>
</mountmanager>

The automatically "on-the-fly" built folders are /media/net/NASstream, /media/net/NASbilder und /media/net/NASmusic.

However: I have the same automounts.xml for the VU+ Solo2 (only differences are username and password of course) and works since nearly two years now without any issues. And I never had to reconnect the shares manually. Maybe that's an issue in the Zero's image?

Thanks and regards

Bastelbox

Re: Why are the NAS shares deleted after a reboot? #10 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,617 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:48

You can try to add "sec=ntlm" to the options, for some combinations this is required due to changes in the samba version used.

Re: Why are the NAS shares deleted after a reboot? #11 Bastelbox

• 71 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 20 January 2015 - 21:08

Thanks, but I'm not sure if this will fix it (read this - incl your posts- also here: http://forums.openpl...e-doesnt-mount/). Because both boxes have exactly the same kernel version and built date. And it works without any issues on the solo2. 

Today I read the log in /var/log, but there no entries that point on the mounts.

I still think about, that it could be a network issue. Maybe the VU+ Zero wants to connect to the NAS-folders, but there isn't any network connection yet.

Here are the Infos from the WebIF of the Solo2:

VU+ Solo2

OE-System: PLi-OE
Distribution: openpli
Firmware-Version: 4.0
Treiberversion: 3.13.5+20150109-r0.0
Kernelversion: 3.13.5
GUI-Version: 2015-01-18

DHCP: True
IP-Adresse: XXX.XXX.XXX.12/24
Subnetzmaske: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: XXX.XXX.XXX.1
MAC-Adresse: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:79

And here from the VU+ Zero:

VU+ Zero

OE-System: PLi-OE
Distribution: openpli
Firmware-Version: 4.0
Treiberversion: 3.13.5+20150109-r0.0
Kernelversion: 3.13.5
GUI-Version: 2015-01-18

DHCP: True
IP-Adresse: 0.0.0.0/0
Subnetzmaske: 0.0.0.0
Gateway: 0.0.0.0
MAC-Adresse: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:2b

So, this is strange. The WebIF shows that VU+ Zero has no proper network connection: no IP-adress and no Subnet-mask. But in fact: it has:

root@vuzero:~# ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:2b 
          inet addr:XXX.XXX.XXX.9  Bcast:XXX.XXX.XXX.255  Mask:255.255.255.0

- Is there a way to get a full boot.log (the file in /var/log is a 0 bit file)?

- Does anyone has the VU+ Zero and a CIFS connection to a NAS and similar behaviour?

Thanks and regards

Bastelbox

Re: Why are the NAS shares deleted after a reboot? #12 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,617 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 20 January 2015 - 23:20

There are several reports of problems with the network interface of the Zero. Perhaps you have that problem too?

Re: Why are the NAS shares deleted after a reboot? #13 The_Raven

• 204 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 11 February 2015 - 19:16

Sorry for "hijacking" this thread, but is it possible to remount the shares of network manager (automounts.xml) from console?

I have written a small script to power up my NAS from VU+ and like to mount the shares when the NAS is up.

Re: Why are the NAS shares deleted after a reboot? #14 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,617 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 11 February 2015 - 20:12

Afaik this code is part of Enigma, so you'll need to restart Enigma for this (using init 4 / init 3).

Re: Why are the NAS shares deleted after a reboot? #15 MiLo

• PLi® Core member
  • 14,045 posts

+298
Excellent

Posted 12 February 2015 - 13:17

There's a "remount" option in the network menu which will attempt to mount everything again.

Re: Why are the NAS shares deleted after a reboot? #16 The_Raven

• 204 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 12 February 2015 - 13:35

Yes i know, but i like to do it in the script so i need command line. I think i do it with a "work a round" (create the folders and do a normal mount command) ;)

Thx for the answers WanWizard & MiLo.

Edited by The_Raven, 12 February 2015 - 13:36.

Re: Why are the NAS shares deleted after a reboot? #17 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,617 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 12 February 2015 - 14:05

I personally never use the automount.

I just use fstab entries. OpenPLi will automatically create the required mountpoints, and mount the remote filesystems.

Re: Why are the NAS shares deleted after a reboot? #18 theparasol

• 4,157 posts

+198
Excellent

Posted 12 February 2015 - 18:11

My /etc/fstab entry for my nas:

//192.168.1.203/NAS  /media/hdd           cifs       user=guest,password=

@Camping: ZGemma H.2S, Technisat Multytenne 4-in-1 @Home: Edision Mini 4K, Wave Frontier T55, EMP Centauri EMP DiSEqC 8/1 switch, 4x Inverto Ultra Black single LNB

Re: Why are the NAS shares deleted after a reboot? #19 MiLo

• PLi® Core member
  • 14,045 posts

+298
Excellent

Posted 3 March 2015 - 15:39

A funky way to create mount points is to have commented-out fstab entries. The script that parses fstab for mountpoints does not understand comments, so if you have an /etc/fstab line like this:

#bogus /media/something bogus bogus

this should create the /media/something directory (mountpoint) at boot time. Try it, I don't know if this is still the case, but it's a rather convenient way since fstab also gets placed into the autobackup.

Re: Why are the NAS shares deleted after a reboot? #20 The_Raven

• 204 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 6 March 2015 - 19:56

Hm, does not work like expected!

I have 3 shares. With # in front it creates the first share-folder, but delete it soon after creation! Then it goes to the next share-folder, create it but also delete it after creation. The last share does not delete and stays there.

Then i removed the # in front. Problem: If the share (NAS) is down, the box will not boot! It hangs at boot, i think because the box trys to mount the share. Maybe i have to wait until timeout (120s each share?) is reached.

Now i added the parameter "noauto". I think it's ok this way, but i have to test it now.

Edited by The_Raven, 6 March 2015 - 19:56.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users