Photo

Video refresh rate - multi

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Beanie

• 66 posts

Neutral

Posted 17 May 2015 - 04:49

Hello, can anyone advise if setting the TV refresh rate to "multi" (rather than 50Hz / 60Hz) currently works with VU+ hardware?

I want to set a specific output format to the TV (either 1080p or 720p) but have the refresh rate change to reflect the content being played.

Using OpenPLi 4 (not updated today due to crash issue) and VU+ Solo2, it seems to stay in 50Hz mode all the time, regardless of source.

I found an old thread here http://forums.openpl...ng-not-working/ that may or may not be the same problem.

Re: Video refresh rate - multi #2 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 17 May 2015 - 11:18

It will only work if you install and configure the autoresolution plugin. Otherwise the stb will convert the refresh rate.

* Wavefrontier T90 with 28E/23E/19E/13E via SCR switches 2 x 2 x 6 user bands
I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: Video refresh rate - multi #3 adri

• 372 posts

+5
Neutral

Posted 17 May 2015 - 15:56

Even when you have 'multi' selected in the setup?

You need the Autoresolution plugin, if you want to switch resulution, eg. switch between 720p, 1080i or 1080p.

If the refresh rate is set to 'multi'm shouldn't enigma2 change refresh rate if needed for content automatically, without the help of a plugin?

Re: Video refresh rate - multi #4 Beanie

• 66 posts

Neutral

Posted 17 May 2015 - 20:44

Thank Erik.

I've tried installing the autoresolution plugin, and configuring all resolutions/refresh rates to use 720p output, and setting the 720p refresh rate to multi within autoresolution, however the output still remains on 50Hz all the time.

I would prefer to output a single resolution (say 720p) and have the VU+ doing any scaling and deinterlacing because the TV takes a couple of seconds to change modes each time, which is a nuisence when changing between SD and HD channels.

Re: Video refresh rate - multi #5 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 17 May 2015 - 22:06

Last time I tried this (quite some time ago), that was a bug in PLi, while it did work under ViX. For testing purposes you might want to try ViX; if it works there it's not a driver issue (as ViX and PLi use the same drivers).

Re: Video refresh rate - multi #6 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,123 posts

+685
Excellent

Posted 17 May 2015 - 22:08

In the av setup menu you must also set it to multi....

Edited by littlesat, 17 May 2015 - 22:09.

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: Video refresh rate - multi #7 Beanie

• 66 posts

Neutral

Posted 17 May 2015 - 22:39

In the av setup menu you must also set it to multi....

Yes, I have it set to multi in both places (AV setup menu and Autoresolution plugin).

Re: Video refresh rate - multi #8 el bandido

• 360 posts

+13
Neutral

Posted 18 May 2015 - 23:45

I have never seen multi do anything except default to 50Hz. 

Re: Video refresh rate - multi #9 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:20

Last time I tried this (quite some time ago), that was a bug in PLi, while it did work under ViX. For testing purposes you might want to try ViX; if it works there it's not a driver issue (as ViX and PLi use the same drivers).

Re: Video refresh rate - multi #10 Beanie

• 66 posts

Neutral

Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:44

That's certainly what I am seeing, although I haven't yet tried ViX as Rob van der Does suggested.

Re: Video refresh rate - multi #11 Trial

• 1,127 posts

+34
Good

Posted 19 May 2015 - 07:45

Hi,

in OpenViX it switches between 24, 50 and 60Hz. I tried with various streams.

ciao

Re: Video refresh rate - multi #12 Beanie

• 66 posts

Neutral

Posted 21 May 2015 - 07:42

I have now tried flashing with OpenViX, and with the refresh rate set to multi, it does change automatically, depending on the source stream.

If I reflash with OpenPLi, it remains on 50Hz all the time, even when set to multi.

With Autoresolution turned on, and set to display status, the correct refresh rate of the stream is being identified, the output is correctly identified as multi, but the actual signal outputed doesn't change from 50Hz.

Re: Video refresh rate - multi #13 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 21 May 2015 - 11:44

Then indeed the bug in PLi is still there (and always has been).
And remember PLi and ViX use the very same drivers, so the cause must be elsewhere.

Re: Video refresh rate - multi #14 Trial

• 1,127 posts

+34
Good

Posted 21 May 2015 - 11:58

Hi Rob,

it is not neccessarily a bug in PLi. I found out that the resolution and frequency information from gstreamer are quite often not complete especially the frequency and progressive flag of streams or 3rd party formats is very often missing. You should see it if you stream or play foreign files from hdd and the infobar does not show something like 640x480i30. Without a proper progressive flag and the correct frequency the best multi mode cannot switch correctly.

Which file is responsible for frequency switching?

ciao

Edited by Trial, 21 May 2015 - 11:59.

Re: Video refresh rate - multi #15 Beanie

• 66 posts

Neutral

Posted 22 May 2015 - 02:51

I am seeing the correct info in the infobar (e.g. 720x480i30) but the signal outputted is 50Hz, not 60, which results in a jumpy picture with movement when the STB converts the frame rate (presumably by dropping frames).

Re: Video refresh rate - multi #16 Beanie

• 66 posts

Neutral

Posted 4 June 2015 - 04:21

Is there any other troubleshooting I can do to determine if this is a PLi bug, or something else (given it seems to work fine with OpenViX)?

If it is a PLi bug, what is the best way to report it - through the forum?

Re: Video refresh rate - multi #17 Trial

• 1,127 posts

+34
Good

Posted 4 June 2015 - 07:41

Hi,

it is not really a bug in OpenPLi because it does not make the switching at all. It relies on the driver. I am not sure about other companies but the driver of VU are also failing to switch frequency correctly. OpenViX has something like autoresolution and autoframerate build into the image and does not rely on driver.

ciao

Re: Video refresh rate - multi #18 Beanie

• 66 posts

Neutral

Posted 4 June 2015 - 10:31

Thanks. It was this post above that that was making me think that it was possibly a PLi bug, suggesting that the same drivers were used by ViX, which does sawp refresh rates correctly.

Can anyone else try this on non Vu+ hardware, and see what the result is?

Re: Video refresh rate - multi #19 Trial

• 1,127 posts

+34
Good

Posted 4 June 2015 - 11:47

Hi,

after that post I took a look into the source code.

ciao

Re: Video refresh rate - multi #20 Beanie

• 66 posts

Neutral

Posted 6 June 2015 - 22:09

Thanks - so you've definately confirmed this is a Vu+ driver issue? If so, how to notify Vu+ for a bug report?

Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users