Disable LNB Voltage in Satellite setup

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 jpuigs

• 1,143 posts

+32
Good

Posted 5 July 2015 - 23:40

Some years ago, I remember to have seen a way of disabling LNB Power in earlier DreamBox machines.

Since then, I've never seen it again in OpenPLi or DMM images satellite configuration menus.

In my home, I have several private dishes, but there is a "shared" one  which gives everybody Astra's 19 East Vertical Low Band, band where spanish CANAL PLUS broadcasts its services.

Then people who subscribe, doesn't need to add a private dish to access C+ services.

It's a very commom setup in Spain.

With this setup, you don't need to send 14/18 V., because you'll always get the same band/polar. The common amplifier gives the 14 v. to the LNB.

So, is it possible to add another LNB type which sends 0 V. from input cable ? 

Some other receivers (not enigma2) have an option to turn ON-OFF lnb power.

Enigma is getting old....

Spoiler

Re: Disable LNB Voltage in Satellite setup #2 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 6 July 2015 - 14:58

There was an option for some models to switch off power to the lnb when going to standby mode. There has never been an option (module or enigma) to disable power to the lnb when the lnb is being used.

* Wavefrontier T90 with 28E/23E/19E/13E via SCR switches 2 x 2 x 6 user bands
I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: Disable LNB Voltage in Satellite setup #3 jpuigs

• 1,143 posts

+32
Good

Posted 6 July 2015 - 19:14

Yes, I know there were an option (in dvb modules) to turn on or off LNB power when in stand by, but that's not I mean.

According to this site .... some time ago it was available....

http://www.geekzone..../BarTender/3970

.... Option 3: Live in an apartment building with a single Satellite dish suppling the whole building.

If this is your situation then you should make sure that LNB Power is turned off.....

LNBPowerOff.png

Anyway, is is possible to do it ?

If we don't need the power when working on some cases, we have to add DC blockers to LNB cable.

Spoiler

Re: Disable LNB Voltage in Satellite setup #4 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 7 July 2015 - 09:59

Does sending 13/18v actually 'hurt' the setup?

I could imagine that this setup, with it's own common amplifier, isn't even 'listening' to this signal at all.

Re: Disable LNB Voltage in Satellite setup #5 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 7 July 2015 - 12:28

"Voltage" here means "voltage mode" and that means choose between 13/18V or use 13V only. The latter is better if you use a multiswitch. Multiswitches are driven using DiSEqC command's, so voltage mode and tone burst only disturb the DiSEqC commands.

Of course you could always solder a small ceramic capacitor between tuner and cable, that will block the DC current.

I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: Disable LNB Voltage in Satellite setup #6 jpuigs

• 1,143 posts

+32
Good

Posted 7 July 2015 - 15:44

I know that I can solder a capacitor, but instead of that, I buy a DC blocker, it's prettier.

But, my question again...

Is it possible to create a new type of LNB, in satellite setup, let's call it "unpowered LNB" which have only one adjustement L.O.F value (9750 Mhz, f.i.), and no 22 khz, no 13/18, no toneburst ??

Edited by jpuigs, 7 July 2015 - 15:45.

Spoiler

Re: Disable LNB Voltage in Satellite setup #7 malakudi

• 1,449 posts

+69
Good

Posted 7 July 2015 - 18:17

The voltage setting can get a zero (0) value. It is supported by DVB API (I have used it also on different linux tuning programs like dvblast). So it is only needed to implement this in the enigma2 interface. Now the options are: 13V/18V/Polarization. It should be changed to include option 0V.

While DVB API support this, I don't really know if the closed source tuner drivers in the STBs support it too. I guess they would support it, but I can't be sure.

Re: Disable LNB Voltage in Satellite setup #8 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 7 July 2015 - 19:13

I don't believe the drivers will support it, but try anything once!

Re: Disable LNB Voltage in Satellite setup #9 jpuigs

• 1,143 posts

+32
Good

Posted 7 July 2015 - 20:28

While DVB API support this, I don't really know if the closed source tuner drivers in the STBs support it too. I guess they would support it, but I can't be sure.

I don't believe the drivers will support it, but try anything once!

When box is in standby, LNB voltage is 0 (on  my xtrend's), so sure it is a way it supports it.

Spoiler

Re: Disable LNB Voltage in Satellite setup #10 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 8 July 2015 - 13:41

The hardware supports it. That's something else than a driver willing to do it on enigma's request.

Re: Disable LNB Voltage in Satellite setup #11 rhinoceros

• 569 posts

+23
Neutral

Posted 17 July 2015 - 21:44

When the LNB is reached through a multi-switch there should be no DC. I don't think it will damage any multi-switch but it should not be there nontheless. The power of the multi-switch is driving the LNB. Besides other tuners (from other users) could also be sending DC signals and these could be conflicting.

I have an ET9000. I remember that in the early days of the driver development, there was continuous DC power in standby. This was changed later by the introduction of a module load option, called 'lnb_power_off_in_standby'. Set it to 1 and the power is removed in standby. Set it to 0 if you need to keep the LNB warm and dry in your climate.

No idea if the drivers allow to switch the power somehow. But it would certainly be useful if someone knows how to do this. Any one ?

Edited by rhinoceros, 17 July 2015 - 21:44.

"Het enige wat we leren van de geschiedenis is dat we niets leren van geschiedenis.", Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel, 1831

Re: Disable LNB Voltage in Satellite setup #12 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 18 July 2015 - 07:49

When the LNB is reached through a multi-switch there should be no DC. I don't think it will damage any multi-switch but it should not be there nontheless. The power of the multi-switch is driving the LNB. Besides other tuners (from other users) could also be sending DC signals and these could be conflicting.

I can confirm this (measured and confirmed from the print layout of the switch).

But that's not the issue. TS has a situation where only one quadrant is used, there is no multiswitch, one LNB's is just split amongst lost of receivers.

Re: Disable LNB Voltage in Satellite setup #13 robertut

• 347 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 18 July 2015 - 18:25

In Xtrend ET-modules plugin there's an option to disable LNB power.

Re: Disable LNB Voltage in Satellite setup #14 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 19 July 2015 - 18:38

Read again all of the topic please.

Re: Disable LNB Voltage in Satellite setup #15 adenin

• 2 posts

Neutral

Posted 21 July 2015 - 20:06

install 0v-lnb-power-option_20150721_all.ipk

which will replace the NimManager.py by a new version

diff --git a/lib/python/Components/NimManager.py b/lib/python/Components/NimManager.py
index 653910b..f4108dc 100644
--- a/lib/python/Components/NimManager.py
+++ b/lib/python/Components/NimManager.py
@@ -493,6 +493,8 @@ class SecConfigure:
                                                sec.setVoltageMode(switchParam._14V)
                                        elif currSat.voltage.value == "18V":
                                                sec.setVoltageMode(switchParam._18V)
+                                       elif currSat.voltage.value == "0V":
+                                               sec.setVoltageMode(switchParam._0V)

if currSat.tonemode.value == "band":
                                                sec.setToneMode(switchParam.HILO)

@@ -1239,7 +1241,7 @@ def InitNimManager(nimmgr):
                (3601, _('All satellites 1 (USALS)'), 1), (3602, _('All satellites 2 (USALS)'), 1),
                (3603, _('All satellites 3 (USALS)'), 1), (3604, _('All satellites 4 (USALS)'), 1), (3605, _('Selecting satellites 1 (USALS)'), 1), (3606, _('Selecting satellites 2 (USALS)'), 1)]
        advanced_lnb_choices = [("0", _("not configured"))] + [(str(y), "LNB " + str(y)) for y in range(1, 65)]
-       advanced_voltage_choices = [("polarization", _("Polarization")), ("13V", _("13 V")), ("18V", _("18 V"))]
+       advanced_voltage_choices = [("polarization", _("Polarization")), ("13V", _("13 V")), ("18V", _("18 V")), ("0V", _("0 V"))]
        advanced_tonemode_choices = [("band", _("Band")), ("on", _("On")), ("off", _("Off"))]
        advanced_lnb_toneburst_choices = [("none", _("None")), ("A", _("A")), ("B", _("B"))]
        advanced_lnb_allsat_diseqcmode_choices = [("1_2", _("1.2"))]

Attached Files

Edited by adenin, 21 July 2015 - 20:07.

Re: Disable LNB Voltage in Satellite setup #16 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,123 posts

+685
Excellent

Posted 21 July 2015 - 21:48

Does this actually work....? If so we could consider a change!

For all... it is not recommendable to install an ipk that overwrite "system" files... ;)

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: Disable LNB Voltage in Satellite setup #17 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 22 July 2015 - 02:35

Not sure about the actual situation, but formerly this didn't work on all hardware.
And indeed: a plugin that overwrites an important system-file is not sustainable. But if it works you could embed this functionality.

Re: Disable LNB Voltage in Satellite setup #18 adenin

• 2 posts

Neutral

Posted 22 July 2015 - 08:13

no risk no fun :P

Re: Disable LNB Voltage in Satellite setup #19 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 22 July 2015 - 11:17

If you can confirm it works at least some receivers, we will consider putting it in the enigma itself. We will not accept a plugin that overwrites enigma python files.

Re: Disable LNB Voltage in Satellite setup #20 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,123 posts

+685
Excellent

Posted 22 July 2015 - 17:47

For X-trend 10K it did not work.... Still power supplied to the LNB!

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users