sat/ip client on oe-alliance

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 malakudi

• 1,449 posts

+69
Good

Posted 19 September 2015 - 08:55

In oe-alliance, there is a sat/ip client, utlilizing the vtuner interface on some boxes. https://github.com/o...ce/satip-client

I have setup a satip server by using minisatip https://github.com/catalinii/minisatip on a remote server that has access to satellites which cannot be received locally. Now I want to use those tuners (bandwidth is available) but the sat/ip client requires the server to be on the same lan in order to detect it from multicast. It would be nice to be able to setup the ip/ports manually and without discovery.

How can I reach the maintainer? atvcaptain seems to making the commits.

BTW, this is a nice package to add in OpenPLi build server too.

Re: sat/ip client on oe-alliance #2 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,960 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 19 September 2015 - 10:07

Are you familiar with the remote fallback tuner?

* Wavefrontier T90 with 28E/23E/19E/13E via SCR switches 2 x 2 x 6 user bands
I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: sat/ip client on oe-alliance #3 malakudi

• 1,449 posts

+69
Good

Posted 19 September 2015 - 10:29

Are you familiar with the remote fallback tuner?

Of course. But SAT/IP is a standard, and many consumer devices use it (even SAT/IP LNBs exist). You can easily run a satip server on a linux pc with the above mentioned server, and use a tuner from remote without the need of setting up enigma. You can even create a "tuner server" with multple tuners and use them on lan or wan network.

After checking the source, in case someone is interested, in order to manually set it up (without discovery), add the following to /etc/vtuner.conf

0=vtuner_type:satip_client,ipaddr:192.168.11.15,tuner_type:DVB-S

where 192.168.11.15 is the ip of the sat/ip server

Edited by malakudi, 19 September 2015 - 10:30.

Re: sat/ip client on oe-alliance #4 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 19 September 2015 - 10:51

'Captain' is available on the ATV-forum, and you can also make remarks on the repos.

BTW: The plugin has been developed by VU+ and is also available on their repos.

Edited by Rob van der Does, 19 September 2015 - 10:53.

Re: sat/ip client on oe-alliance #5 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,960 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 19 September 2015 - 10:53

I think vtuner is an interesting concept that I am curious to explore. The drawbacks, otoh, are, that once a physical tuner has been exported as virtual tuner, it's exclusively used for that and cannot be used on the local receiver. Also if I understand correctly it isn't possible to connect two different receivers' vtuners to the same physical tuner. This is where the remote fallback tuner clearly wins. On the other hand, some features typical for a physical tuner can't be offered by remote fallback (tuner feedback about SNR, actual frequency etc.). Also the enigma2 timer planner could be more effective if a tuner is not shared and the exact configuration is known.

I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: sat/ip client on oe-alliance #6 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,960 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 19 September 2015 - 10:55

There is no plugin involved ;)

What did ATV add/change. Minimal or extensive? It would be more appropriate to get this from the original source, which would be VU+ then.

Re: sat/ip client on oe-alliance #7 malakudi

• 1,449 posts

+69
Good

Posted 19 September 2015 - 11:12

@Erik: Remote fall back is great for local tuner sharing between enigma2 boxes. I have a friend with a linux pc and dvb-s2 card who lives in london. Setting up enigma2 on that pc to use the fallback tuner option would be pain in the a**. Running satip server was a matter of 2 minutes (git clone; make ; make install ; run)

A satip server that has 4 tuners can handle up to 4 different clients using different frequencies. It can also handle more clients that might use the same frequencies. Up to 30 pids can be served per tuner, so they can support multiple clients per tuner.

You also have a full featured tuner. You can scan like a common tuner. You could even view SNR, sat/ip protocol supports it, though this implementation doesn't.

The solution is two parts: one linux executable that setups the vtuner (called satipclient) and a plugin for enigma2 that uses the automatic discovery in order to configure the satipclient config file, /etc/vtuner.conf . Of course the functionality of the satipclient could be merged in enigma2, like usbtunerhelper was done in the past (though more difficult now since satipclient does much more). I would also like posibility to configure satipclient to use http and not rtsp, since rtsp is difficult to pass through nat.

Re: sat/ip client on oe-alliance #8 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,960 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 19 September 2015 - 12:41

Yes, I think I have the picture clear ;)

I theory, but I'd like to test that, you could use both. Have a four-tuner receiver connected to your multi-lnb dish, export all tuners using vtuner to your living room receiver, so you can do the configuration and the scanning from your living room. Then you could add a secondary receiver in some other room, that would have the primary receiver in the living room as it fallback tuner. I am curious whether carrying the stream over the network twice will raise problems or not.

If you're going to add multiple clients to one vtuner, I think you loose the advantage of predictability, that vtuner has compared to fallback tuner.

I will try this and if I can get it included in the image in a "neat" way, I will add it. May take some moments though, I don't have much "netto" spare time.

Re: sat/ip client on oe-alliance #9 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,960 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 19 September 2015 - 12:43

I'd prefer to keep it all isolated from enigma, btw. I now have links to two repos, the client and the server, do you have a link for the configuration plugin as well?

Re: sat/ip client on oe-alliance #10 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 19 September 2015 - 13:01

and some fixes.

There is no plugin involved ;)

What did ATV add/change. Minimal or extensive? It would be more appropriate to get this from the original source, which would be VU+ then.

Yes there is: see http://code.vuplus.com/ 

"[SatipClient] Add new plugin."

dated Thu, 9 Apr 2015 06:09:12 +0000 (15:09 +0900)

tbh: I have no idea what ATV has added/changed, as I never looked into the plugin. But git-history is fine for that :)

Reading from there learns me:

- [satip] add search satip server

- [satip] discover multiple satip servers.
Based on the VU-satipclient plugin.

- add new version of satip client thx vuplus and users from vti forum for fixing some issues
- [satip] sat ip server scan time extend for slow networks

and several fixes.

Re: sat/ip client on oe-alliance #11 arn354

• 146 posts

+12
Neutral

Posted 19 September 2015 - 13:20

bitbake satip client binary package - https://github.com/o.../satipclient.bb

repository satip client binary - https://github.com/o...ce/satip-client

repository satip E2 systemplugin - https://github.com/o...2.3/SatipClient

Re: sat/ip client on oe-alliance #12 malakudi

• 1,449 posts

+69
Good

Posted 19 September 2015 - 13:26

@Erik: On configurations that use a multituner enigma2 box, I would prefer using the fallback tuner option. SAT/IP is great if you don't own such a box. You can setup a small linux pc with a TBS quad dvb-s2 tuner card with very low budget. Then you can use satip server in that pc to drive your enigma2 boxes. 

Re: sat/ip client on oe-alliance #13 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,960 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 19 September 2015 - 14:30

This catalinii, is this a VU+ employee or doing work for VU+? I can't find any references to the original where the repo is cloned from. Which would be "naughty" if it is.

Edited by Erik Slagter, 19 September 2015 - 14:33.

Re: sat/ip client on oe-alliance #14 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,960 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 19 September 2015 - 14:33

The satip-client appears to be cloned from original work on google-code, which hasn't been maintained for a long time (which we already knew), so that's fine. If it's cloned from another git repo (e.g. VU+), they should include the source, I can't find any other reference.

Re: sat/ip client on oe-alliance #15 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,960 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 19 September 2015 - 14:37

tbh: I have no idea what ATV has added/changed, as I never looked into the plugin. But git-history is fine for that :)

Not everybody has the gift to make good git commit messages. I just wrestled across some really bad ones from this catalinii person, which would mention a small adjustment, which ten appears to be buried inside thousands of lines with cosmetic changes. This is one of the reasons I am hesitant to use this repository, especially if I can use the source catalinii clones from.

Re: sat/ip client on oe-alliance #16 malakudi

• 1,449 posts

+69
Good

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:38

Made some tests with many receivers. So far, only Edision OS Mini supports SAT>IP with vtuner interface correctly, playback is accurate. VU+ receivers also support it, but the video/audio is making pauses - seems there is a buffering bug in the vtuner driver on VU+ side. Xtrend ET7000 doesn't work at all. Haven't tested anythng else.

Re: sat/ip client on oe-alliance #17 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,960 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:00

I have been testing with an et8500 as server, I couldn't get it to work (either). First I got a kernel oops every time when activating the tuner. It appears that the simple act of activating a (new) set of pids on a demux/fd was enough to crash the driver. Finally I updated the driver and now that problem has gone, but I don't get any data. I suspect that the practise of minisatip, setting a row of pids on the demux/fd using DMX_SET_PES_FILTER causes to pids set previously to be deleted. Enigma does it using a call to DMX_SET_PES_FILTER once and then add pids using DMX_ADD_PID (or something like that). I am going to check that later today, maybe that appears to be the fix (at least for xtrend).

Re: sat/ip client on oe-alliance #18 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,960 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:05

Oh BTW we can't use the satip-client from the ATV repository. The way they use git makes it impossible to selectively copy revisions. For one they completely rewrote it to C++ and then commited the whole thing as one commit. Also they tend to mix cosmetics and functional changes all of the time. For a third party, there is no way to ever find out, what only has been converted (cosmetic) and what functionality has changed. So I took the original version from Google Code instead.

This is only me playing around, I am not saying this is ever going to make it into OpenPLi (or not). We'll have to see.

Re: sat/ip client on oe-alliance #19 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:10

Oh BTW we can't use the satip-client from the ATV repository. The way they use git makes it impossible to selectively copy revisions. For one they completely rewrote it to C++ and then commited the whole thing as one commit. Also they tend to mix cosmetics and functional changes all of the time. For a third party, there is no way to ever find out, what only has been converted (cosmetic) and what functionality has changed. So I took the original version from Google Code instead.

Unfortunately that is a common issue for commits made by ATV.

Re: sat/ip client on oe-alliance #20 pop_eye

• 240 posts

+9
Neutral

Posted 25 September 2015 - 16:33

This catalinii, is this a VU+ employee or doing work for VU+? I can't find any references to the original where the repo is cloned from. Which would be "naughty" if it is.

You are referring to developer of minisatip. I believe vuplus users have stepped in to bring support for his server solution.

He is an opensource dev...

https://github.com/catalinii/minisatip

Edited by pop_eye, 25 September 2015 - 16:37.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users