• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

Re: X11 Desktop fbdev #21 serdeliuk

• 315 posts

+18
Neutral

Posted 8 April 2016 - 21:00

Well Milo,

I am afraid that you're wrong, X11 does not render it's windows only on framebuffer devices, but also on GL devices, or VESA devices, even VGA devices, if it have the right driver.

I think you are confusing the Xvfb with X11, but this is ok, as long as you keep this only for you.

In my case, the rendering device is a framebuffer device, but this is only a coincidence, but i think you don't understand that.

What i do not understand is why you respond without having knowledge???

I asked a pertinent question here, but because of you i had to ask this question few times, and nobody understand now what I want to know.

I will ask again, but Milo, if you do not understand what I am asking please do not answer.

I want to know, if here have anybody knowledge about the SOLO4K hardware, it have a Broadcom 7376.

I want to know if there is any xorg-video-driver-brcm7376 beside the brcmfb which work with fbdev.

The brcm7376 is so new that i could not found the datasheet for it.

MastaG, mplayer can play directly on the /dev/fb0 or on the X11 screen for sure, if you want i can try to compile and test that for you.

Best regards,

Marc

Edited by serdeliuk, 8 April 2016 - 21:03.

init 2 && init 3

Re: X11 Desktop fbdev #22 Lost in Space

• 876 posts

+69
Good

Posted 8 April 2016 - 21:25

you can even use the tuner and demux if you want ... ask vdr, etc how to do it ...

Re: X11 Desktop fbdev #23 serdeliuk

• 315 posts

+18
Neutral

Posted 8 April 2016 - 21:29

indeed, i wonder if there is any SDR hardware compatible internal tuners on those wonderful devices :)

init 2 && init 3

Re: X11 Desktop fbdev #24 Lost in Space

• 876 posts

+69
Good

Posted 8 April 2016 - 21:38

Well if you have problems understanding linux devices, the dvb api is you least problem ...

As I said - buy a dm7080 and you can run a full Debian Wheezy within 30 min that it takes to load and install with all the apps that the Debian mipsel feed provides.

Barry Allen will install and boot it for you nicely, but there is also an alternative Debian installer available in the meantime.

It is not my fault that you great community doesn't know how to do it, despite the Debian arm feed beeing even richer.

Edited by gutemine, 8 April 2016 - 21:39.

Re: X11 Desktop fbdev #25 serdeliuk

• 315 posts

+18
Neutral

Posted 8 April 2016 - 21:46

Well, i am not sure why do you think i have issues understanding linux devices, probably a language barrier.

I am a linux system administrator and over the last 25 years i worked with all kind of hardware, more than that i built myself few embedded systems.

I do not want to purchase a DM, i already have this VU. Also, the DM and VU already have linux, why to use BarryAllen?

Edited by serdeliuk, 8 April 2016 - 21:46.

init 2 && init 3

Re: X11 Desktop fbdev #26 serdeliuk

• 315 posts

+18
Neutral

Posted 8 April 2016 - 21:49

Well, not sure if DreamOS is linux, which is on your device.

Edited by serdeliuk, 8 April 2016 - 21:49.

init 2 && init 3

Re: X11 Desktop fbdev #27 Lost in Space

• 876 posts

+69
Good

Posted 8 April 2016 - 22:09

root@dm7080:~# uname -a
Linux dm7080 3.4-3.5-dm7080 #24 SMP Tue Mar 29 16:23:51 UTC 2016 mips GNU/Linux

The point is that the task you want to achive is actually pretty easy ... and you now got all the necessary information.

Edited by gutemine, 8 April 2016 - 22:10.

Re: X11 Desktop fbdev #28 serdeliuk

• 315 posts

+18
Neutral

Posted 8 April 2016 - 22:23

Well, i am not sure if that task is so easy, probably I didn't express my self good enough, I need to know if there is any video driver for xorg-server for the brcm7376 chip, because i couldn't find one i asked here, i assumed that there is no one because the chip very new.

What i want to achieve is to put X11 windows on the video directly, not on the fb0, which is a pseudo device, slower than the video hardware.

I asked here because i thought that here could be someone which work with hardware, but seems not, unfortunately.

Thanks for the info regarding DreamOS, I understood that does not use E2 anymore, it is that true? What it have? It is better?

init 2 && init 3

Re: X11 Desktop fbdev #29 mirakels

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Core member
  • 7,598 posts

+62
Good

Posted 8 April 2016 - 23:06

Well, I'm not Milo, but I do agree with him. So he is not the only one...

The video device is... well... a video device. It understands video data like mpeg4 and h264 kind of things.

So all you have to do is write a 'little'  driver or tool  that generate for instance mpeg4 streams from the X11 windows you want to show.... Don't know how feasible that is though.

So you want to show your x-windows windows on your TV. Well, the good news is that the fb0 device is also shown on your tv as you already have shown.

Your problem is that it is still not completely in the correct form. Probably this can be solve by getting the correct X11 and fb0 device settings. Gutenmine says he know how to do it using the fbset tool, so why don't you dive into that tool to see how far you get? 

The STB boxes we talk about here are not really designe for high class graphics animations. They leave that to the movies that it can play on its video device. The framebuffer is mainly used for controlling your box with on screen display of menus and information.

Having said that, current state of the art STBs may be powerful enough to do nice graphical things on the framebuffer and many support hardware acceleration for certains graphic operations.  Also look at for example the wetekply that runs android on the framebuffer and I think it does a reasonable job.

So please stop nagging people.... with your 25 years of experience on linux you should be able to dive into the details and find a thing or two that you can share here for others that want to do the similar things

I think you are right about seeing only few hardware peaploe here, openpli is mostly about software using enigma2 as graphical backend... But discussing other possibilities of using the STBs (like using X11) are of coarse welcomed!

When you talk about mplayer using the framebuffer you think the wrong way around. Mplayer would be much better of playing on the video device. That is, when you are talking playing videos... But I don't know if mplayer has backend that plays directly to the video device, but gstreamer does it so I guess mplayer should be able to do it too

Geen wonder... Had slechts een dm7000, maar wel ook een rotor. eigenlijk al een tijdje ook een dm600 en dm7025. Maar nu kijkend met een et9000 en vuduo

Re: X11 Desktop fbdev #30 serdeliuk

• 315 posts

+18
Neutral

Posted 8 April 2016 - 23:39

Well Mirakels, i am not sure on what you agree with Milo, he didn't told much.

As for your thoughts regarding video devices, you're wrong, the /dev/fb0 is a video device as well, which does not care about mpeg or any kind of encoding, similar, the brcm7376 chip have another video device, which does not care about that, i need the driver for that device.

What I asked, and you and Milo didn't understood, is about the driver, the driver is a special software component, alike an API, which allow third party software to work with hardware, without knowing the hardware.

If you think i can build that probably you're mistaken it is not easy to build such kind of firmware, but at this point, as I stated, i couldn't find the chip datasheet so i cannot tell.

Regarding my linux experience.... I do not nag anybody, i didn't intended to do that, just added that to be sure that nobody alike you and Milo will add more nonsenses on this topic. It wasn't polite to ask me, few times, "what do you not understand" as long as he didn't know what to respond on my questions and even do not understand them.

@MastaG, i have compiled the mplayer, it play mkv movies on X11 desktop over /dev/fb0 device, but keeps the CPU very loaded.

Edited by serdeliuk, 8 April 2016 - 23:42.

init 2 && init 3

Re: X11 Desktop fbdev #31 betacentauri

• PLi® Core member
  • 7,185 posts

+323
Excellent

Posted 9 April 2016 - 00:50

Broadcom sdk and data sheets are non public. You have to pay for it and I guess also you have to sign an NDA. So I guess you won't find other drivers.

As already said set framebuffer and Xserver to 16 bit and it should work. If not color mode is still wrong. Gutemine already wrote about what to do.

By the way perhaps does the box support OpenGL ES. Perhaps because I don't know whether it's currently included in the drivers. The HW supports it.
Xtrend ET-9200, ET-8000, ET-10000, OpenPliPC on Ubuntu 12.04

Re: X11 Desktop fbdev #32 serdeliuk

• 315 posts

+18
Neutral

Posted 9 April 2016 - 00:57

Thanks, I will play around and let you know the results.

Actually not all datasheets from broadcom are closed-source, for example the cpu from raspberry pi is well documented but the firmware indeed is closed source.

See h**ps://www.raspberrypi.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/BCM2835-ARM-Peripherals.pdf

Unfortunately the brcm7376 is not yet documented.

Edited by serdeliuk, 9 April 2016 - 00:58.

init 2 && init 3

Re: X11 Desktop fbdev #33 malakudi

• 1,449 posts

+69
Good

Posted 9 April 2016 - 08:24

@serdeliuk: There is no driver for X for none of the STB used chipsets. The Rpi is the exception, not the rule, unfortunately.

It could be done, but you need to have the BCM SDK which is not available without NDA and a big amount of $$$.

Your best option would be to use the OpenGL ES surface. Check for Kodi patches for VU+ to see how it is used.

Re: X11 Desktop fbdev #34 MiLo

• PLi® Core member
  • 14,042 posts

+298
Excellent

Posted 9 April 2016 - 09:49

You can run x11 on the /dev/fb0 device, as a plain framebuffer. x11 doesn't need more than that. I've done that on the dm7025 once, so that's quite a long time ago though. It runs just fine in the standard 32-bit mode that Enigma2 also uses.

The hardware indeed has OpenGL support (even the 7025 already had that) but you probably cannot use it because Broadcom doesn't want you to. So that's a dead end. There is no datasheet or other useful information for any of the broadcom settop chips. Not because they're new, but because Broadcom hates open source.
Real musicians never die - they just decompose

Re: X11 Desktop fbdev #35 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,123 posts

+685
Excellent

Posted 9 April 2016 - 10:03

But there are boxes or boxes with different drivers that support opengl...

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: X11 Desktop fbdev #36 MiLo

• PLi® Core member
  • 14,042 posts

+298
Excellent

Posted 9 April 2016 - 10:12

Yeah, I guess VU paid the fee for the OpenGL stuff. Might work, haven't tried. Should give a bit better performance too, since it can use fill and blitting functions from OpenGL then.

But that still all ends up in the OSD.
Real musicians never die - they just decompose

Re: X11 Desktop fbdev #37 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,123 posts

+685
Excellent

Posted 9 April 2016 - 11:17

As far I can see in e2 it is currently only used to fade in, sweep, move, turn the standard e2 menus's... In fact it is only anoying. I also understood vu has drivers for it but we do not use it and our e2 needs some patches, which were when I looked at them for the turn, swap, shift and sweep stuff not realy nice implemented. But of course for a kodie plugin it might still be helpfull...

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: X11 Desktop fbdev #38 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 14 April 2016 - 19:22

I am afraid that you're wrong, X11 does not render it's windows only on framebuffer devices, but also on GL devices, or VESA devices, even VGA devices, if it have the right driver.

I think you are confusing the Xvfb with X11, but this is ok, as long as you keep this only for you.

These are just as much frame buffer devices, whereas the video decoding device found on set-top-boxes is NOT. The memory where the actual data is stored for the picture is undocumented (NDA) and inaccessible.

* Wavefrontier T90 with 28E/23E/19E/13E via SCR switches 2 x 2 x 6 user bands
I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: X11 Desktop fbdev #39 Lost in Space

• 876 posts

+69
Good

Posted 15 April 2016 - 20:25

Aehm - you are aware that partly you talk ...., because the grab binary which is open source reads nicely from the video memory to produce video screenshots, and includes the necessary information like video memory address, start and size and colour and pixel encoding ...

Edited by gutemine, 15 April 2016 - 20:25.

Re: X11 Desktop fbdev #40 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 16 April 2016 - 10:05

And where is it documented?

* Wavefrontier T90 with 28E/23E/19E/13E via SCR switches 2 x 2 x 6 user bands
I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users