←  [EN] Enduser support

Forums

»

OpenPLi stops actively supporting Dream Mu...

hemertje's Photo hemertje 21 Oct 2013

With the decision of Dream Multimedia to abandon open source for their STB's, our motivation for dealing with the consequences of that has dwindled. This has gotten to the point that we are no longer willing to apply Dream Multimedia specific patches, which is why we do not support their v2 STB hardware.

Because current OpenPLi users with Dream Multimedia STB's expect support from us, we feel the need to make our position clear.

We have decided that:
- We will stop fixing Dream Multimedia specific bugs for existing DMM boxes;
- We will not support the "v2" series of Dream Multimedia STB hardware, like the 7020HDv2 and 800SEv2;
- We will not support future Dream Multimedia STB hardware they may release;

The Dream Multimedia hardware currently supported by OpenPLi will remain active in our automated build environment, which means images will be generated and feeds will remain available, until we get to a point that this is no longer possible without intervention. At that point, we will effectively stop with all support.

Since OpenPLi is open source and available to anyone, feel free to setup your own build environment, and produce images for Dream Multimedia hardware yourself, "Based on OpenPLi".

Lost in Space's Photo Lost in Space 21 Oct 2013

Thanks, because this decision means I can now stop also passively supporting your images from all my Plugins.

Farewell!

gutemine

Edited by gutemine, 21 October 2013 - 20:29.

WanWizard's Photo WanWizard 21 Oct 2013

Glad to be of assistance. :)

theparasol's Photo theparasol 21 Oct 2013

And gutemine gone as a result too... this is a very happy day!!!!

If I saved your day - you are welcome.

theparasol's Photo theparasol 21 Oct 2013

No, we just get rid of a bright but patronizing coder. Too bad your attude stinks big time and you dont want to change that for the better.

Edited by theparasol, 21 October 2013 - 20:41.

Maybe your comments are not showing good manners either?

But I would asume this to be OT too. At least now you don't need to ask Persia and Tunesia for help anymore on how to build an up-to-date image :)

Edited by gutemine, 21 October 2013 - 20:52.

hemertje's Photo hemertje 21 Oct 2013

back ontopic please!

we have The Lounge forum for you guys...

Hump's Photo Hump 21 Oct 2013

The decision is completely understandable. More Power to OpenPLi! :)

Toysoft's Photo Toysoft 21 Oct 2013

This was to be expected, definitely the new DM v2 boxes produced in Schenzen will not have much future to my opinion. Closing the source code and continuously adding tricks to stop the Open Software is not the best idea DMM had in the last years !

Hopefully Linux boxes will continue and we will enjoy the very good software published for them !

Thanks to Gutemine for all the good plugins !

TS

Maybe your comments are not showing good manners either?

But I would asume this to be OT too. At least now you don't need to ask Persia and Tunesia for help anymore on how to build an up-to-date image :)

gorski's Photo gorski 22 Oct 2013

All abusive marriages ought to end up like this... :P :D

F*@% masochism! :)

ims's Photo ims 22 Oct 2013

If it is final decision, why OE4 for this boxes ? No new features, bigger images (and less space) and longer building only ?

Raitsa's Photo Raitsa 22 Oct 2013

Well done guys, an admirable decision.

hemertje's Photo hemertje 22 Oct 2013

If it is final decision, why OE4 for this boxes ? No new features, bigger images (and less space) and longer building only ?

we made the decision with the OpenPLi team last weekend, long after we decided to build OE4 images

prodream077's Photo prodream077 22 Oct 2013

Did Dream Mulitmedia just dig their own grave?

Openpli's support for the boxes has been tremendous and I'm happy that Open source and Linux wil continue to live with other boxes :)

Frogman's Photo Frogman 22 Oct 2013

A reasonable and consequent decision... even though a pity for Dreambox users.

Frenske's Photo Frenske 22 Oct 2013

A reasonable and consequent decision... even though a pity for Dreambox users.

I agree but we saw no other possibility. 

Pr2's Photo Pr2 22 Oct 2013

Hi,

Finally what are the STB brand and model officially supported by Openpli with a proper manufacturer support for the driver part?

Xtrend it seems that you can escalate driver bugs to them and get good support.

VU+ you can no longer escalate driver bugs and it seems also that the support for the latest models is then made in best effort.

XP1000: I have no idea since I don't follow this box brand.

Does it also means that Openpli will be open to support other brand boxes if they can get good driver support from the manufacturer in replacement of Dreambox?

Regards,

Pr2

hemertje's Photo hemertje 22 Oct 2013

new questions / subjects in news topics please!

MiLo's Photo MiLo 22 Oct 2013

Does it also means that Openpli will be open to support other brand boxes if they can get good driver support from the manufacturer in replacement of Dreambox?

No change there.

Note the difference between "good driver support from the manufacturer" and "got it to work using a multitude of workarounds".

Please don't abuse this thread to list boxes that you'd like to see supported - one of the purposes was to have LESS work!