Photo

Problem with file system permissions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 arro

• 2 posts

Neutral

Posted 12 August 2012 - 16:08

Hi, I installed the newest build like a week ago (7025+), now a week later I cannot ftp files to box or change any files.

I was going to change some settings and FTP gives "could not create file". This will be ok if I reboot but only for a short while. So I need to keep rebooting which is really annoying.

I also get an error if i try to do for example a chmod in telnet "no space left on device"

Im sure there is a simple solution to this, but I dont have it.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards
Arnar

Re: Problem with file system permissions #2 MiLo

• PLi® Core member
  • 14,042 posts

+298
Excellent

Posted 12 August 2012 - 18:05

Reflash the box, your flash has become full.

The 7025 "fills up" when you update files (most files cannot really be changed, the box makes a copy and "overlays" the original, hence taking up twice the flash space). So avaoid the online upgrade and just reflash it when you want to upgrade.

There is a definitive solution: Install a compactflash card and use the "cf-boot" extension to run from that. Any CF card over 64MB will do, I've seen them sold for 1 euro at a grocery store.
Real musicians never die - they just decompose

Re: Problem with file system permissions #3 arro

• 2 posts

Neutral

Posted 12 August 2012 - 19:38

Hi,

I reflashed it a week ago with Dreamup through serial. Before I had the same image for 3-4 years with much more "updating". This makes no sense to me given the previous history.

So what you are saying is...

1. reflash
2. update settings
3. watch become full again

or

1. use compact flash
2. reflash
3. update setting
4. live happily ever after

????

rg/ Arnar

Re: Problem with file system permissions #4 MiLo

• PLi® Core member
  • 14,042 posts

+298
Excellent

Posted 13 August 2012 - 18:38

Before I had the same image for 3-4 years with much more "updating". This makes no sense to me given the previous history.

Like many things in life, it doesn't have to make sense to be true.

It depends on what you update. Updating "enigma2" and its plugins is "free", they are located outside the read-only compressed part. Upgrading busybox will lose about 0,5MB flash, upgrade gstreamer and you'll lose a few MB. The 7025 only has 32MB, of which 28 is usable, so you'll run out quite fast.

With CF, the box will run from a regular ext2/ext3 filesystem, hence boot considerably faster and use less RAM, and with the compression gone, you can upgrade as long and as often as you like. This only applies to cf-boot of course, most "multiboot" solutions make similar claims but will make it boot even slower.

Basically, you just pay the $1 for the extra flash memory that DMM didn't want to pay when they designed the box.
Real musicians never die - they just decompose

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users