Newer kernel for "make_cdk_image" openpli

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jomu

• 6 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 16 September 2012 - 20:58

First, disclaimer... I am rather new to "dreambox scene" and I have an exotic problem/need/wish...

My intent is to make non-TV related setup and for it I need newer kernel and few packages not present in default distribution. Also, some packages (like dvbsnoop, dvbnet) are present in source tree, looks like they are built, but when I flash my DM500s they are nowhere to be seen. Even as I make them "by hand" with "make .dvbsnoop" (for example) prior to ./make_cdk_image...

I know there is some voodoo I don't know - yet. Can somebody shed some light for me here? How can I upgrade this source tree to newer kernel (I need some ioctls and it looks they are not present, and I probably need newer DVB API...)

Thanks in advance.

Re: Newer kernel for "make_cdk_image" openpli #2 hemispherical1

• 1,596 posts

+49
Good

Posted 16 September 2012 - 22:30

DMM never released the source for the drivers required to run the DB, that's the main reason why all the boxes were using ancient (6+ year old) kernels up until fairly recently. (If not somebody would've updated the kernels themselves.) Finally DMM updated the kernels on most of the newer boxes, but all the E1 boxes and even the 800 are still tied to ancient kernels.

Unfortunately that means when a needed feature finally appeared in a new kernel, the only real option is to attempt to backport it to the ancient kernels, with varying degrees of success.

--
hemi

Re: Newer kernel for "make_cdk_image" openpli #3 dAF2000

• PLi® Ex-Leden
  • 14,151 posts

+52
Good

Posted 16 September 2012 - 22:35

And about dvbsnoop etc. :

I never compiled them and I wouldn't know if they really work. If you do a make .dvbsnoop you will find it in the directory "cdkroot". I think that directory is in cdk/root but I'm not sure. The directory "cdkflash" contains all the binaries which will be in the image and that one doesn't have the dvbsnoop binary.
Many answers to your question can be found in our wiki: http://openpli.org/wiki

Re: Newer kernel for "make_cdk_image" openpli #4 Jomu

• 6 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:40

DMM never released the source for the drivers required to run the DB, that's the main reason why all the boxes were using ancient (6+ year old) kernels up until fairly recently. (If not somebody would've updated the kernels themselves.) Finally DMM updated the kernels on most of the newer boxes, but all the E1 boxes and even the 800 are still tied to ancient kernels.

Unfortunately that means when a needed feature finally appeared in a new kernel, the only real option is to attempt to backport it to the ancient kernels, with varying degrees of success.

With hardware widely cloned, schemes available and datasheets everywhere... And years gone... I am puzzled to see any driver not reverse engineered till now...

What devices/drivers are closed/specific? I am not a kernel hacker, but it would be nice to take a look.

Another question, what does dm500-chinese build path does/has over/compared to only dm500?

And about dvbsnoop etc. :

I never compiled them and I wouldn't know if they really work. If you do a make .dvbsnoop you will find it in the directory "cdkroot". I think that directory is in cdk/root but I'm not sure. The directory "cdkflash" contains all the binaries which will be in the image and that one doesn't have the dvbsnoop binary.

So, root/cdkroot is "buildroot" only and that is why binaries there are not stripped? And also why being there does not mean it is in flash? Some step strips binaries/copies to root/cdkflash...

Thank you for answers. I know more now :).

Re: Newer kernel for "make_cdk_image" openpli #5 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,309 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:46

The DM500-chinese version builts with chinese fonts, it's not an image for "chinese made clones"... It's a separate image due to size restrictions. Other then that there's no difference.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Newer kernel for "make_cdk_image" openpli #6 Jomu

• 6 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:26

The DM500-chinese version builts with chinese fonts, it's not an image for "chinese made clones"... It's a separate image due to size restrictions. Other then that there's no difference.

Thanks, good to know I am not missing anything there :).

Where can I find cdkflash populate policy/code? For the moment I am lost in generated Makefile, it looks like at one step $(flashprefix)/root is removed, at next step basic /lib is created, and somehow at next step Makefile starts stripping installed binaries in $(flashprefix)/root/bin... No idea how these binaries got there...

Edited by Jomu, 17 September 2012 - 08:26.

Re: Newer kernel for "make_cdk_image" openpli #7 dAF2000

• PLi® Ex-Leden
  • 14,151 posts

+52
Good

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:51

The target "flash-dvbsnoop" (in case of dvbsnoop) is not build for dreamboximage_root. Check cdk/Makefile.am around line 2256. So, if you add flash-dvbsnoop to that target, it will copied from cdkroot to cdkflash.

Re: Newer kernel for "make_cdk_image" openpli #8 Jomu

• 6 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:08

The target "flash-dvbsnoop" (in case of dvbsnoop) is not build for dreamboximage_root. Check cdk/Makefile.am around line 2256. So, if you add flash-dvbsnoop to that target, it will copied from cdkroot to cdkflash.

I've found this and few others...

Is there a reason for dvbnet to be disabled for targets other than DM7000? Does it work for dm500?

It looks like flash-dvbsnoop is not enough. I've added .dvbsnoop and make is working right now.

Re: Newer kernel for "make_cdk_image" openpli #9 dAF2000

• PLi® Ex-Leden
  • 14,151 posts

+52
Good

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:19

Is there a reason for dvbnet to be disabled for targets other than DM7000? Does it work for dm500?

I have no idea. It was a long time since I programmed for these boxes. I assume those programs were never in the build because they are not needed for "normal" use.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users