←  [EN] Enduser support

Forums

»

Hard disk vanished after software update

tbltbl's Photo tbltbl 27 Sep 2012

I am using the latest version of OpenPLi 3 with a Dreambox 8000HD, running OpenPLi in Barry Allen. This has always worked perfectly and I have been updating the software every day to keep up with the latest improvements. After a major update a few days ago the hard disk was no longer recognised for recording. It is correctly shown under devices, but is not visible via DCC from my PC or to the recording software. If I try to record, I just get the message " Hard Disk not existing" or something similar. Equally any attempt to access existing movies results in " Path hdd/movies does not exist. Obviously I do not want to initialise it as It is correctly recognised by OpenAAF and Dream Elite and I would lose all my recordings.

Any suggestions would be appreciated,

Richard

WanWizard's Photo WanWizard 27 Sep 2012

If you see it, it's recognised. It could be that it has been mounted somewhere else, the mount mechanism has been updated recently.

Can you telnet into your box and post the result of 'mount' here?

Martin_B's Photo Martin_B 27 Sep 2012

Process of mounting devices has changed.
If your (internal) disk has no label and you have no entry in fstab, then it is mounted as /media/sda1
If yor (external) disk has no label and you have no entry in fstab, then it is mounted as /media/usb

To mount your disk as /media/hdd you can either set an entry in fstab or (recommended) label your disk as hdd
Then it will be mounted as /media/hdd

To label your diks use
tune2fs -L hdd /dev/sda1
hdd is the Label
/dev/sda1 is the device name (blkid + mount show device names)

Contend of disk will not be changend or deleted.

Regards
Martin
Edited by Martin_B, 27 September 2012 - 08:56.

Thanks to you both for the speedy response, I will experiment tonight and report back tomorrow.

Richard

I have tried the mount command at the root# prompt in telnet and got this

root@dm8000:~# mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/root on / type jffs2 (rw,relatime)
devtmpfs on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,relatime,size=158852k,nr_inodes=39713,mode=7
5)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,relatime)
/dev/loop1 on /media/ba type ext4 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,barrier=1,data=writeba
k)
/dev/loop1 on /media/ba type ext4 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,barrier=1,data=writeba
k)
/dev/loop1 on / type ext4 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,barrier=1,data=writeback)
devtmpfs on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,relatime,size=158852k,nr_inodes=39713,mode=7
5)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,relatime)
tmpfs on /media type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=64k)
tmpfs on /var/volatile type tmpfs (rw,relatime)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,relatime,gid=5,mode=620)
root@dm8000:~#

Entering tune2fs -L hdd /dev/sda1 caused a short pause and then the root cursor.

root@dm8000:~# tune2fs -L hdd /dev/sda1
root@dm8000:~#

It looks to me as if the system can only see the USB flash drive I am using to run Barry Allen. From the dreambox I can see both the HDD and the USB drives correctly identified by name and could initialise them . If I press RECORD I get "MISSING no hdd found or hdd not initialised.

Richard

WanWizard's Photo WanWizard 27 Sep 2012

Using Barry Allen is asking for trouble...

Barry Allen is however the best way of keeping up to date with experimental images. I will eventually decide which image I am going to use, but at the moment all the other images work perfectly, as does OpenPi except for not having a mounted HDD. :rolleyes:

Is there nothing I can use from the Dreambox to mount a hard disk ?

Richard

MiLo's Photo MiLo 27 Sep 2012

Process of mounting devices has changed.
If your (internal) disk has no label and you have no entry in fstab, then it is mounted as /media/sda1
If yor (external) disk has no label and you have no entry in fstab, then it is mounted as /media/usb

The first internal disk is always mounted as /media/hdd regardless of fstab or label. Where "internal" means the internal SATA connector exclusively,

MiLo's Photo MiLo 27 Sep 2012

...running OpenPLi in Barry Allen...

I'm 99% sure that THAT is the cause of your problem.

Barry Allen is however the best way of keeping up to date with experimental images

No it isn't.

Please don't keep me in suspense, I'm always open to good suggestions. What is better than Barry Allen ? :)

Richard

Henksat's Photo Henksat 27 Sep 2012

What is better than Barry Allen ? :)

No Barry Allen

Rob van der Does's Photo Rob van der Does 27 Sep 2012

What is better than Barry Allen ? :)

No Barry Allen

LOL :D

nietgiftig's Photo nietgiftig 27 Sep 2012

The first internal disk is always mounted as /media/hdd regardless of fstab or label. Where "internal" means the internal SATA connector exclusively,

What is the difference between the internal sata en the e-sata besides the placement?

MiLo's Photo MiLo 2 Oct 2012

You're right, I never thought of the external plug, so remove "internal" from my comment to make it correct :)

nietgiftig's Photo nietgiftig 2 Oct 2012

You're right, I never thought of the external plug, so remove "internal" from my comment to make it correct :)

Ok, thanks.

I was just planning to buy an SSD for the eSATA for recording.
Easy to transfer to PC
And use it also for timeshifting.

MiLo's Photo MiLo 2 Oct 2012

SSD disks are really bad value for money for video recording. If you want a fast-starting, low-power, cool and quiet drive, buy a laptop harddisk. They're much cheaper than SSDs and for this purpose, perform just as well.

tbltbl's Photo tbltbl 15 Oct 2012

I've sorted out this problem so I will detail the solution for other users with the same problem. There seem to be lots of them ;)
To cure the error when telnetting blkid, I installed util-linux-blkid which after rebooting, gave some info about where the hdd was mounted.
To correct the mount point, I edited /etc/fstab
(I removed the previous last line which was full of junk) and added this line at the bottom then rebooted
/dev/sda1 /media/hdd auto defaults 0 0

Hope this is of some use to someone,

Richard

Edited by tbltbl, 15 October 2012 - 19:04.

RamsesII's Photo RamsesII 12 Nov 2012

I've sorted out this problem so I will detail the solution for other users with the same problem. There seem to be lots of them ;)
To cure the error when telnetting blkid, I installed util-linux-blkid which after rebooting, gave some info about where the hdd was mounted.
To correct the mount point, I edited /etc/fstab
(I removed the previous last line which was full of junk) and added this line at the bottom then rebooted
/dev/sda1 /media/hdd auto defaults 0 0

Hope this is of some use to someone,

Richard

For me it worked when I just removed the last hdd line from fstab completely. The system created a new and working line to mtab and the disk works fine now.