New user: question about channel selection, and the EPG

channel EPG

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 polomora

• 85 posts

Neutral

Posted 17 October 2012 - 13:32

I have some question about channel selection, and the EPG.

I'm a new VU+ Duo user since last weekend, and have been playing around with OpenPLi, especially to see if it could be used by my technophobe wife. I only tried out the basic channel selection features and the EPG.
My dish only has one LNB in place, directed at Astra2 at 28.2E, to receive the UK FreeSat channels.
During initial installation, when prompted to select the satellites to use, I specified Astra1/2/3, as a result of which the channel list includes losts of services that I can't receive.
It wasn't possible to just specify Astra2.

I used DreamBoxEdit to upload the channel list to my PC, and after editing the list to only use the FreeSat channels I wanted to use, I downloaded the files back to the box.

I'm trying to get my head around around the differneces between channels, and services, and how they are accessed using the RC.

Channel select up/down/right/left buttons surrounding the OK button:
The full list of channels is displayed, including those that I don't have access to, such as TV Vlaanderen located on Astra1 and Astra3.

Channel +/- buttons:
Displays a channel list. The list can be scrolled up and down, but no channels can be selected.

EPG:
a. When I initially select for example BBC1, pressing the EPG button displays an in-picture-display of BBC1, together with a list of "similar broadcasts" from the various regional variants of BBC1, such as BBC1 London, even though I had previously deleted them using DreamBoxEdit from the FreeSat bouquet. Nothing can be selected from here, only scrolling through the list is possible.
b. When I select "single EPG", the current programme and future schedule for BBC1 is displayed.
c. When I select "multi EPG", the full list of channels is displayed, including those that I don't have access to, plus the current programme for all channels that I do have access to
d. When I select "favourites", a menu appears showing two items:
- "Engels pakket", which the correct list of channels I had previously edited using DreamBoxEdit
- "Favourites (TV)", which is empty
e. When I press the EPG button again, the in-picture-display of BBC1 remains, and the rest of the display is cleared. Pressing the channel keys has no effect. The only thing that works in this case is the EXIT button, which remove the EPG, and returns to the channel previously selected.

My questions/comments are:
1. Is it possible to remove the unwanted channels from the channel selection lists when the using the channel select buttons surrounding the OK button.
2. What is the purpose of the channel +/- buttons? Logically, for someone coming from analogue TV-land, these buttons should zap up and down through the programmed channel list.
3. My wife finds the EPG very confusing:
- what is the purpose of "similar broadcasts"?
- is it possible to remove the unwanted channels from the "multi EPG" channel list?
- is it possible to just display a list of favourite channels when "favourites" is selected, instead of the two-entry menu?
- I would have thought that pressing the EPG button a second time would just remove the EPG and return to the channel previously selected.
4. I updated the firmware after modifying the channel list. I read that this would overwrite the edited channel lists, but I found that the list in "Engels pakket" was still correct. In any case, I redownloaded the edited files back to the box, just to be sure. Which lists are affected when the firmware is updated?

I was reading the documents on the Wiki, I couldn't anything resembling a "Dummy's Guide to Getting Started With OpenPli". I am willing to write this if it doesn't already exist, but first I have to understand how it works ;<)

Re: New user: question about channel selection, and the EPG #2 polomora

• 85 posts

Neutral

Posted 20 October 2012 - 17:24

Not to worry. Decided to use ViX. ;<)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: channel, EPG

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users