←  [EN] Enduser support

Forums

»

Unable to connect to DreamBox 500HD via FTP

mav2005's Photo mav2005 8 Feb 2013

Hello

since the last openpli upgrade (3.0) I am no longer able to connect to the dreambox via ftp.
I get: Connection attempt failed with "ECONNREFUSED - Connection refused by server" every time I try to connect via ftp
I have checked the ip address and credentials are correct
Dreambox network settings are also OK and working
I have also tried to restart everything, router, dreambox, pc.... same error

so not sure what else could it be

anyone has any ideas?

thank you!
Edited by mav2005, 8 February 2013 - 12:21.

Frenske's Photo Frenske 8 Feb 2013

Welcome to the Pli support board.
As no one of us can read minds, it would be nice if you would provide some extra information concerning the type of box you have. ;)

Erik Slagter's Photo Erik Slagter 8 Feb 2013

Title says 500HD ;)

I think the ftp server isn't running. It might not get installed automatically.

Can you check if the package vsftpd is installed?

Frenske's Photo Frenske 8 Feb 2013

Shame on me. :o I'm afraid I have to visit 'Hans Different' a.k.a. Hans Anders. :) ;)
I didn't look at the subject and only replied the first post.

I'm afraid I suffer from thesame problem as another PLi member. I hope it isn't contagious.

Erik Slagter's Photo Erik Slagter 8 Feb 2013

That would be me I guess, I've felt into this trap so many times as well...

mav2005's Photo mav2005 9 Feb 2013

Title says 500HD ;)

I think the ftp server isn't running. It might not get installed automatically.

Can you check if the package vsftpd is installed?

Hi Erik,

thanks for your help, how do I check if the package vsftpd is installed? Also, do you mean installed in the set top box?

thanks,
Marco

gji25's Photo gji25 10 Feb 2013

would a pair of these help --O-O-- :)

Frenske's Photo Frenske 10 Feb 2013

would a pair of these help --O-O-- :)

I already have a pair of those. That doesn't help if you don't look at the subject. ;)
But for now, cut the crap and let's go back on topic. ;) :)

Erik Slagter's Photo Erik Slagter 10 Feb 2013

Telnet to the box and type opkg install vsftp that should do the trick.

mav2005's Photo mav2005 10 Feb 2013

Telnet to the box and type opkg install vsftp that should do the trick.

HI Erik,

never used Telnet before
I downloaded 'Absolute Telnet' and connected to the box (IP 192.164.0.4 port 80
terminal says connection Success! so it seems it's connected, but I can't type anything, can't type any commands.....

You must use port 23 and login as "root".

You must use port 23 and login as "root".

if I use port 23 it says Failed: Connection refused
I don't see an option to enter 'root' the only Telnet options are Hostname and Port

Connection refused, that means that also no telnet is running. I think you're using the wrong ip address and you're trying to access another computer in your network instead of the box...

Connection refused, that means that also no telnet is running. I think you're using the wrong ip address and you're trying to access another computer in your network instead of the box...

IP address is correct, I use the same 192.168.0.4 to access the Dreambox web interface and it works fine
I can see the IP address of the dreambox also from the router settings page and on the TV :)
so not sure what's wrong really

(thank you for your time and patience!)

IP address is correct, I use the same 192.168.0.4 to access the Dreambox web interface and it works fine
I can see the IP address of the dreambox also from the router settings page and on the TV :)

also, this was working before, stopped working since the latest update of pli to version 3

should I use DHCP in the box server settings? it's enabled (well, it was enable also before when I could connect via ftp)

I think it's time for a complete flash of your box ;) It seems both telnet and ftp have stopped working...

also, this was working before, stopped working since the latest update of pli to version 3

should I use DHCP in the box server settings? it's enabled (well, it was enable also before when I could connect via ftp)

well I did flash with the latest pli image, if I would reflush I would get the same result
maybe I should go back to the previous version :mellow:

thanks!

Are you using wired or wireless network? Can you ping the box?

all wired
ping worked fine
as I said before I can also see the dreambox web interface on my browser so somehow i can connect to it, but not ftp :wacko:

I apprecciate your perseverance! :)

Looks like some firewall is blocking access...