←  The Lounge

Forums

»

support for dm500s

keye's Photo keye 7 Jul 2013

Am hoping to learn doing my own programming on my 2 units    machines are dm500s     would i be using the dm500 support ???      thanx

Erik Slagter's Photo Erik Slagter 7 Jul 2013

There hasn't been any development for the dm500s for years, so I fear the worst...

keye's Photo keye 7 Jul 2013

thanx      so i picked the wrong reciever to start watching tv   what receiver would you recommend

hemertje's Photo hemertje 7 Jul 2013

a HD receiver ;)

Sjaaky's Photo Sjaaky 7 Jul 2013

If you don't need HD, are happy with enigma1, don't have a lot of money to spend, you can use it for watching tv.

For development, use flashwizard pro 6.3 and store the image on a nfs share. Get our or another teams cdk environment, build an image and extend enigma1. It is just that enigma1 development has stopped in our team. I don't know if other teams still actively develop enigma1.
We only develop for enigma2 nowadays.
Edited by Sjaaky, 7 July 2013 - 22:24.

LraiZer's Photo LraiZer 7 Jul 2013

@keye

HD is over rated mate, stick with SD.

you could try ukcvs, they still develop for dm500s over there. mainly neutrino for dm500, there were enigma1 plugins created for openpli image only last month.

hemertje's Photo hemertje 7 Jul 2013

@keye

HD is over rated mate, stick with SD.

you could try ukcvs, they still develop for dm500s over there. mainly neutrino for dm500, there were enigma1 plugins created for openpli image only last month.

not really, more and more normal SD channel are broadcasted via H264 these days to compress there bandwith

so you can only view them on a HD receiver

Sjaaky's Photo Sjaaky 7 Jul 2013

Over the whole world? Or just in our part of Europe?

LraiZer's Photo LraiZer 7 Jul 2013

needing a HD box to View SD channels seem like an oxymoron? i could understand if they need to compress bandwidth if they had 4k streams or used 2 streams to create 4k but not for SD surely.

WanWizard's Photo WanWizard 8 Jul 2013

Wrong terminology. You need an MPEG4 and h.264 capable box to receive the SD channels, as more and more channels use this instead of the old MPEG2.

pieterg's Photo pieterg 8 Jul 2013

In other words, you might want to have a box which supports DVB-S2, as some providers will start putting their (sd) channels on S2 transponders.

Erik Slagter's Photo Erik Slagter 8 Jul 2013

needing a HD box to View SD channels seem like an oxymoron? i could understand if they need to compress bandwidth if they had 4k streams or used 2 streams to create 4k but not for SD surely.

There is no "need", but it's "cheaper" (more channels over 1 transponders). That's a compelling rationale for a provider to start using h264 and dvb-s2. H264 and dvb-s are not limited to HD channels (even though the name "HD receiver" would suggest that).

LraiZer's Photo LraiZer 8 Jul 2013

i doubt the regulators would allow millions of owners of dvb-s STB's to suddenly become obsolete by satellite providers moving their SD channels to dvb-s2 transponders.

hemertje's Photo hemertje 8 Jul 2013

i doubt the regulators would allow millions of owners of dvb-s STB's to suddenly become obsolete by satellite providers moving their SD channels to dvb-s2 transponders.

they do, you get a "free" DVB-S2 STB when you accept a 2 year subscryption from the satellite providers ;)

Erik Slagter's Photo Erik Slagter 8 Jul 2013

they do, you get a "free" DVB-S2 STB when you accept a 2 year subscryption from the satellite providers ;)

.. if they're polite. There is no law that requires a provider to keep using DVB-S and mpeg2 indefinitely. Neither is it in your contract. It's a favour if you "get" a new receiver, but in the end, it's always the decision of the provider.

So once again, it's not very smart to still buy an "SD" receiver these days.