Zgemma box, is it worth to buy?

• Please log in to reply
Er zijn 78 reacties in dit onderwerp

#1 fankoosh

• 198 berichten

+6
Neutral

Geplaatst op 13 februari 2016 - 14:21

Recently I noticed another group of box been added to openpli support , so is the box is OK regarding booting , speed ,IPTV streaming , recording chs...etc , in past I saw a lot of posts here showing zgemma is just cheap clone crap box which not worth to buy , but what is story behind the new support from openpli core builder to build & support this box , I need feedback ,reviews & help from who has experience & own this box coz I am planning to get a zgamma S (single dvbS2) in case I found it is worthy to buy this box ,I already got vusoloSE ,so I don't want to get pissed off from buying & using this Chinese crunchy crap cookies :)

Re: Zgemma box, is it worth to buy? #2 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68312 berichten

+1719
Excellent

Geplaatst op 13 februari 2016 - 14:57

The first series of this manufacturer, the Cloud Ibox, was clearly a clone, a VU+ Solo copy. The Zgemma's seem to be "own" design, but they are still low-budget boxes, with a low-budget SoC, an ugly box, and only fixed tuners. For example, for one VU+ Duo2, you get 10 Star S boxes. But if a Star S will do, why pay more?

Like you can't compare a 2CV with a Ferrari, you can't compare a Zgemma with a VU+. But in the end both get you from A to B. ;) Zgemma is on the market a while, so maybe others can comment on the quality. We've only have them recently, so we've got no real usage information. The same for the software. At the moment there is good contact, and a quick response, with the chinese developers. Time will tell what the long-term quality of the drivers will be.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Zgemma box, is it worth to buy? #3 Heppieboeddah

• 468 berichten

+7
Neutral

Geplaatst op 13 februari 2016 - 16:03

I own the H2 now for about 6 months. Price quality is good.

From scratch starting is about 1~2 minutes. From standby it's in a blink of the eye. IPTV is no problem. Going very fast through the channel list is not really fast but to do.

I'm pleased with the Zgemma

VU+ Uno 4K SE [DVB-C]

Re: Zgemma box, is it worth to buy? #4 ColinB

• 743 berichten

+28
Good

Geplaatst op 13 februari 2016 - 16:40

We have just got a Star-S, for £50+£5 next day delivery. Which must be the cheapest HD PVR box that is supported on this forum.

It seems to Timeshift and Record fine. We previously had a XP1000@751Mhz which has the same BCM7358 SoC.

However the thing that I've noticed so far is that it seems to be a lot slower doing backups with BackupSuite. Both having the same plugins and settings, the Xp1000 would take less than 4mins for a full backup. The Star-S is taking around 7mins at the moment. Both reflash backups at a similar speed. Also I've noticed that the Star-S telnet feeds and plugin downloads are very slow.

Xtrend et8000 7.1-Release

2 x 8/1 DiSEqC  30w 13e 19e 23e 28e   

Astrometa USB Tuner Working DVB-T2 now on Kernel 4.10+  ;)

WD10EARX 1TB

Sandisk 32GB USB for AFB, EPG, Picons & Timeshift

ZGemma Star S 7.0-Release

4/1 DiSEqC  30w 13e 19e 28e

Sandisk 8GB USB for AFB, EPG, Picons & Timeshift

LG 49UH610V UHD-HDR

UHF/Cable/Sat

E-Channelizer

Re: Zgemma box, is it worth to buy? #5 fankoosh

• 198 berichten

+6
Neutral

Geplaatst op 16 februari 2016 - 20:04

thank u all for ur reply  , now Airdigital manufactured a new box (HS /H2S/H2H) they mentioned that they run more faster & it is dual core processor 751BCM , any one gone through these new boxes , r they really better or it is just another useless version of new boxes??!

Re: Zgemma box, is it worth to buy? #6 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46951 berichten

+541
Excellent

Geplaatst op 16 februari 2016 - 20:14

Don't expect much increase in speed from a second core.

And yes, the Zgemma is a fine "budget" receiver. Driver quality seems to be quite good, especially for this league. But don't expect anything fancy. Also don't go buying USB tuners to make up for the small amount of tuners, which we see frequently; you will be disappointed. If you need more than one tuner, buy a receiver with more than one tuner inside. Pluggable is best, but also most expensive. It's choice you need to make.

* Wavefrontier T90 with 28E/23E/19E/13E via SCR switches 2 x 2 x 6 user bands
I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: Zgemma box, is it worth to buy? #7 WTE

• 821 berichten

+36
Good

Geplaatst op 16 februari 2016 - 21:02

I have different opinion:

A second threaded CPU gives you enormous increase of speed. The box will feel as fast as any high-end tuner from other manufactures.

Boot time decrease by 50%, plugins like openopera will work smoothly and so on...

I see actually only zgemma models with two tuners and not one. The new models have even a detachable tuner.

Mut@nt HD51 STB 4K

:rolleyes:                :rolleyes:

Re: Zgemma box, is it worth to buy? #8 scotty123

• 1 berichten

Neutral

Geplaatst op 17 februari 2016 - 15:43

i have the zgemma H1.

its ok for what i need

i do find it a bit slow changing channels,

but that could be the image i am using

its my first box, so it will do for now :o

Re: Zgemma box, is it worth to buy? #9 fankoosh

• 198 berichten

+6
Neutral

Geplaatst op 17 februari 2016 - 17:44

i guess olf harware specifications & performance is so much slower & problems than the one in new box models , @WTE do u recommend new H2S or HS regarding performance , stability & less issues ?

Re: Zgemma box, is it worth to buy? #10 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46951 berichten

+541
Excellent

Geplaatst op 17 februari 2016 - 19:44

A second threaded CPU gives you enormous increase of speed. The box will feel as fast as any high-end tuner from other manufactures.

Boot time decrease by 50%, plugins like openopera will work smoothly and so on...

For enigma it's more beneficial to have a faster CPU than extra core's. Especially boot time can't significantly descrease from multiple cores, most of it is single threaded stuff. A browser may benefit, but that's not the main application.

I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: Zgemma box, is it worth to buy? #11 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46951 berichten

+541
Excellent

Geplaatst op 17 februari 2016 - 19:45

i guess olf harware specifications & performance is so much slower & problems than the one in new box models , @WTE do u recommend new H2S or HS regarding performance , stability & less issues ?

The new series is only a bit faster. Don't expect miracles (or be disappointed...). It's budget stuff.

Re: Zgemma box, is it worth to buy? #12 catastrofus

• 3440 berichten

+43
Good

Geplaatst op 17 februari 2016 - 19:56

descrease = increase?

For enigma it's more beneficial to have a faster CPU than extra core's. Especially boot time can't significantly descrease from multiple cores, most of it is single threaded stuff. A browser may benefit, but that's not the main application.

2 x ultimo4k (dvb-c fbc + 1 dvb-s2, 8.3r/nb) + een et10k/osmini (geen tuners en dus fallbackclient, nb) met een Synology ds214+ (2 x 6 TB) op DSM 7.1.1 in ziggo oost (voormalig @Home) + A1/A2/A3/HB (TechniSat)

Re: Zgemma box, is it worth to buy? #13 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46951 berichten

+541
Excellent

Geplaatst op 17 februari 2016 - 20:24

No?

Boot time won't significantly decrease from multiple cores. Unclear?

Re: Zgemma box, is it worth to buy? #14 WTE

• 821 berichten

+36
Good

Geplaatst op 17 februari 2016 - 21:49

The older models works fine and I think for a budget model it's quite good. It is a bit slow for some media playback and scrolling through menu's feels a bit slow..

The newer models with the BCM7362 or BCM73625 works very well and with normal use of enigma2 you can certainly compare it with any high-end model.

It's actually a huge difference in performance and I am astonished that some people say it isn't.

I do not know the zgemma numbers but H2S and HS the difference should be with 2x DVB-S2 or 1x DVB-S2

Veranderd door WTE, 17 februari 2016 - 21:50

Mut@nt HD51 STB 4K

:rolleyes:                :rolleyes:

Re: Zgemma box, is it worth to buy? #15 Robinson

• 2614 berichten

+30
Good

Geplaatst op 23 augustus 2018 - 12:17

Would Star 2S be very slow?

I understand it is supported by OpenPLi?

openpli-6.2-release-sh1-20180820_usb.zip2018/08/20 21:04 - 71.00MB

ET9000, OpenPLi 4.0, 13E, 19E

HD51, OpenPLi 6.2, 75E - 30W

Re: Zgemma box, is it worth to buy? #16 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68312 berichten

+1719
Excellent

Geplaatst op 23 augustus 2018 - 12:23

Depends on what you want to do with it. For what is was made for (watching TV), it is fast enough. It uses the same SoC as the ET4000 or the XP1000, so it's very low-end.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: Zgemma box, is it worth to buy? #17 mjray

• 61 berichten

Neutral

Geplaatst op 23 augustus 2018 - 12:33

I've recently bought an H9S. I'd say it's worth buying even though I'm still figuring out a few kinks (some are on other posts here). It's supported by openpli.

Veranderd door mjray, 23 augustus 2018 - 12:33

Re: Zgemma box, is it worth to buy? #18 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68312 berichten

+1719
Excellent

Geplaatst op 23 augustus 2018 - 12:51

You can't really compare the two, The Star is an old entry-level box that has been end-of-life for a while, the H9 is their current high-end model.

Re: Zgemma box, is it worth to buy? #19 Frenske

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Core member
  • 27380 berichten

+393
Excellent

Geplaatst op 23 augustus 2018 - 13:47

Don’t forget that the H9 versions don’t have a cardreader.
It’ll be no problems for some owners I guess. ;)

Mijn schotel is een T90 met 10 LNB's. Daarnaast voor de fun nog een draaibaar systeem met een Triax TD 78.

Dreamboxen heb ik niet meer echt actief. Verder heb ik ook nog een een VU+ duo2 met 500Gb harddisk + een VU+ Uno, Zero, Solo 4K, Ultimo 4K, Zero 4K, Uno 4Kse. + ook nog een Xtrend ET7x00. Daarnaast heb ik ook nog diverse andere modellen w.o. een Formuler F4, ET8500, ET7500, Mut@nt 2400HD, Xsarius Fusion HD se en verder nog wel het e.e.a. waarmee op verzoek vanalles wordt getest. Iemand moet het tenslotte doen. ;) :)
Los van de eerder genoemde modellen heb ik nog wel een rits aan testsamples als Mut@nt 2400HD, HD60, GB UE4K, GB Trio4K, Maxitec Multibox combo en Twin, Octagon sf8008, sf8008 mini en last but nog least enkele modellen van het Grieks Duitse Edision.

Voor centrale opslag van media gebruik ik een Qnap 219P 
met tweemaal 2 Tb harddisks + een Synology DS414 met 12 Tb Totale opslag.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Many answers to your question can be found in our wiki: Just one click away from this "solutioncentre".

Als ik alles al wist hoefde ik ook niets te vragen. If I had all the knowledge I had no questions at all.

Re: Zgemma box, is it worth to buy? #20 mjray

• 61 berichten

Neutral

Geplaatst op 24 augustus 2018 - 12:32

Don’t forget that the H9 versions don’t have a cardreader.
It’ll be no problems for some owners I guess. ;)

I guess you mean a CA card reader. It has SD or microSD card. It's no problem for me because I watch only FTA these days and if I really really wanted to use a softcam, I think I have other devices which will read the card data (which I wouldn't then use the card in).

1 gebruiker(s) lezen dit onderwerp

0 leden, 1 bezoekers, 0 anonieme gebruikers