nfs fstab hdd share

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 H2SO4JB

• 145 posts

Neutral

Posted 6 September 2016 - 21:06

Hi all,

I want to start by saying that I am a novice user, so be patient. :-)

I have two VU+ DUO2, in the same network. Both with the latest version of OpenPLi. In box #1, I have an
internal 500GB SSD SATA3. It is intended that both boxes should store all recordings on it. I also have
a Synology NAS, where everything else I have is stored.

I can mount my NAS with both CIFS or NFS, without any problems. I have tested it true the Mount Manager
and manually in the fstab file. Both ways works perfectly, so I have little knowledge of how it works.

Now to my problem:
In box #2, I want to mount my 500GB SSD placed in box #1, with NFS. But I don't get this to work at all.

If I browse with the Network Browser, I can see the hard drive in box #1. The hard drive is named "Harddisk"
there. I don't know why, because I have no memory of that I named it to that.

Anyway, I can mount it with CIFS without any problems.

Since I am experiencing problems with playback of movies when I share with CIFS, I would rather use NFS.
But it is here my problems begin. It seems to be impossible to mount this hard drive with NFS. There must
be some moments I don't know about.

I'll try to explain:
When I use Network Browser > Mount Manager, first it takes several minutes before the mount is accepted, then
the mount is not activated properly. It is a red cross on the mount. Even after a reboot.

Then when I should delete this mount, the box is freezing on the following message: Please wait while removing your network mount...
The only way I can delete this mount, is to clear the information in the automounts.xml file manually.

I clear all I've done above and instead add the following line in the fstab file:
192.168.0.200:/Harddisk /media/net/SSD nfs sec=ntlm,nolock,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,intr
This doesn't work either. I only see an empty folder in /media/net/SSD
I'm not sure that this line is correct, but I have tried to understand all guides I found on Internet.

What am I doing wrong?
Is there anything in box #1 I need to configure in order to get it to work?
Is there anything I can try to find out what's wrong?
Anyone here who has some tips what to do?

Thanks in advance...

2 x Vu+ Duo2

Re: Problem with NFS share between two VU+ Duo2 #2 blzr

• PLi® Core member
  • 2,269 posts

+118
Excellent

Posted 7 September 2016 - 07:45

Is there anything in box #1 I need to configure in order to get it to work?

you need to have nfs server running on your box #1, and exported /media/hdd
//IIRC there is some gui plugin for this (nfsserver)

only then mount nfs share on your box #2
True sarcasm doesn't need green font...

Re: Problem with NFS share between two VU+ Duo2 #3 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,312 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 7 September 2016 - 08:52

Our use the CIFS mount that is there, as Samba is installed by default (hence the presence of the "Harddisk" share).

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Problem with NFS share between two VU+ Duo2 #4 H2SO4JB

• 145 posts

Neutral

Posted 7 September 2016 - 09:32

blzr >>>
Thanks! I suspected that the fault occur because I don't have any NFS server running in box #1.
I have installed a plugin called NFSServer, but the only thing it does is to help me set the path
in the etc/exports file.

Is there any NFS server installed as default in OpenPLi?
If not, how do I install it?
If there is, how do I start it?
As I said, I'm a newbie so I need exact instructions.  :-)

WanWizard >>>
Thanks! As I described in my post, CIFS is not an option for me. It works, but only to a certain degree.
I get playback freezes all the time when I mount anything with CIFS. I experienced exactly the same
playback freezes when I mount my NAS with CIFS few years ago. All errors disappeared when I switched to NFS.
I just bought my SSD in box #1, therefore this playback problems pops up again. It was then I noticed that
it was not easy to share with NFS BETWEEN boxes.

There is no point to go deeper into that discussion in this thread. I just want to know how I can start
the NFS Server on box #1, and get the sharing to work.

2 x Vu+ Duo2

Re: Problem with NFS share between two VU+ Duo2 #5 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,312 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 7 September 2016 - 09:54

Install the nfsserver pluging, it will install the required dependencies like the nfsd and exportfs kernel modules, idmap, etc.

You need to restart the box after this to make sure the kernel modules are loaded.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: Problem with NFS share between two VU+ Duo2 #6 H2SO4JB

• 145 posts

Neutral

Posted 7 September 2016 - 10:07

Install the nfsserver pluging, it will install the required dependencies like the nfsd and exportfs kernel modules, idmap, etc.

You need to restart the box after this to make sure the kernel modules are loaded.

Thanks!

I look at it tonight when I get home. I will return...

2 x Vu+ Duo2

Re: Problem with NFS share between two VU+ Duo2 #7 H2SO4JB

• 145 posts

Neutral

Posted 7 September 2016 - 10:24

One more thing:
Is there any command I can telnet to the server box that shows whether the server is running or not?
Is there any command I can telnet to the server box that shows that the hard disk in box #1 is shared, and box #2 has access to it?

2 x Vu+ Duo2

Re: Problem with NFS share between two VU+ Duo2 #8 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,312 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 7 September 2016 - 10:26

ps, and then check if the nfs daemon is running? And nfs exports are in the /etc/exports file.

I have no disks in my boxes, and I never use plugins for OS stuff (my mounts are in fstab), so maybe someone else knows what this plugin does?

Re: Problem with NFS share between two VU+ Duo2 #9 blzr

• PLi® Core member
  • 2,269 posts

+118
Excellent

Posted 7 September 2016 - 10:46

One more thing:
Is there any command I can telnet to the server box that shows whether the server is running or not?

/etc/init.d/nfsserver status
and if it's not running, you can start it with:
/etc/init.d/nfsserver start

True sarcasm doesn't need green font...

Re: Problem with NFS share between two VU+ Duo2 #10 H2SO4JB

• 145 posts

Neutral

Posted 7 September 2016 - 17:38

Hi guys,

I have followed your instructions, and now all of a sudden, everything works. I don't know
what I did wrong before, but now it seems that box #1 operate as an NFS server. The sharing
to box #2 works perfectly. Thanks so much for your help.

I have two questions related to this topic:

If I reboot box #1 (server), must I then reboot box #2 (client) each time, or does it
reconnect to box #1 automatically after a while?

I see that a folder named @eaDir is created here and there in the file system. I guess this
is a temporary folder of some sort. Is there any way to prevent this from been created?
This is not important, but it can be good to know.  :-)

2 x Vu+ Duo2

Re: Problem with NFS share between two VU+ Duo2 #11 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,312 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 7 September 2016 - 18:30

1. That depends on the way you mount it.

The default NFS mount settings cause the client to freeze when the connection drops, to avoid that, make a soft mount.

2. The @eaDir folder is a folder created by the Synology NAS OS, so you must have something like that around that creates it. OpenPLi definitely doesn't.

Re: Problem with NFS share between two VU+ Duo2 #12 H2SO4JB

• 145 posts

Neutral

Posted 7 September 2016 - 20:26

1. That depends on the way you mount it.

The default NFS mount settings cause the client to freeze when the connection drops, to avoid that, make a soft mount.

Okay! The line in my etc/exports file looks like this now:
/media/hdd *(rw,no_root_squash,sync)

Do you mean I should change it to the following:
/media/hdd *(soft,rw,no_root_squash,sync)

Or what do you recommend?
I don't understand anything about what all these commands do.  :-)

I understand, it's my NAS that creates them. I thought it was OpenPLi. Then I will not bother you with this issue. :-)
I found a solution here, if anyone else wondering the same thing:

2 x Vu+ Duo2

Re: Problem with NFS share between two VU+ Duo2 #13 catastrofus

• 3,440 posts

+43
Good

Posted 7 September 2016 - 20:31

2)

root@Storix:~# /usr/syno/bin/synomkthumb -stop
Copyright © 2003-2016 Synology Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright © 2003-2016 Synology Inc. All rights reserved.

usage: synomkthumb [-a | -addphoto] folder
       synomkthumb -R folder
root@Storix:~# rm /usr/syno/etc.defaults/rc.d/S77synomkthumbd.sh
rm: cannot remove ‘/usr/syno/etc.defaults/rc.d/S77synomkthumbd.sh’: No such file or directory
root@Storix:~#

Edited by catastrofus, 7 September 2016 - 20:31.

2 x ultimo4k (dvb-c fbc + 1 dvb-s2, 8.3r/nb) + een et10k/osmini (geen tuners en dus fallbackclient, nb) met een Synology ds214+ (2 x 6 TB) op DSM 7.1.1 in ziggo oost (voormalig @Home) + A1/A2/A3/HB (TechniSat)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users