default root password Open PLi 4

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 MrTreha

• 5 posts

Neutral

Posted 25 December 2016 - 12:19

HI all.

I just recently start using this really nice image of yours for my DM 800 SE and as much as I love it I have encountered really tricky issue with default root password for out of the box image not working. 

I have tried both "dreambox" and empty and even openpli and some other I manage to google but no help. I found many advices here on how to first do this and that and I tried many variations on how to do this but it simply wont let me log in. for some strange reason I still have dreambox visible on my local network and I am able to access all the files on the box but only trough windows interface which means all changes to files may not be as good as in linux enviroment. I can access 2 passwd files in etc directory with this feature and once read in notebook program

file passwd gives following first line 

root:x:0:0:root:/home/root:/bin/sh

while file passwd- gives this line
root::0:0:root:/home/root:/bin/sh

I am no expert in this field but I imagine that passwd- should be a backup of passwd file and they should be the same. however there is an additional letter x in this line and that is the only difference.

Now am not sure if that is causing this but neither putty, telnet, totalcomander nor dcc will let me login without correct root passwd and none of the mentioned above are correct.
I used to wipe out root pasword by deleting whatever is between first 2 semicollons in this passwd file but that is not the case anymore since it goes back to x whenever I go back to the file even tho it changes when i save it...

I am left with option to go back to other images which have this thing in place but I really like this image and would love to use some basic functions like beeing able to control root login...

Appreciate the feedbak.

P.S. I burned yesterdays image on other dm800SE not even connected to this network and it has same issues so its something in the image that is causing this...

Re: default root password Open PLi 4 #2 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,544 posts

+1,736
Excellent

Posted 25 December 2016 - 13:27

By default an OpenPLi image has NO root password. And that is different from a blank password.

So Telnet shouldn't even prompt you for a password, and all tools that do prompt you for a password will NOT work until you set a password.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: default root password Open PLi 4 #3 40H3X

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Contributor
  • 5,790 posts

+186
Excellent

Posted 25 December 2016 - 13:51

There is nothing wrong with those 2 files...

file passwd gives following first line 

root:x:0:0:root:/home/root:/bin/sh

while file passwd- gives this line
root::0:0:root:/home/root:/bin/sh

You used the file from this location https://openpli.org/...reambox/dm800se to flash your box? You said, you tried to logon on using Putty with root and no password <blank> just enter and that didn't work, strange? Maybe a heritage from a previous owner ;), if memory serves me right the easiest way is to use/install the plugin setpasswd and reset the root password using the GUI.

Hardware: Vu+ Uno 4K SE - Vu+ Duo 4K  - Fuba 78 cm - Tripleblock LNB Quad 19.2/23.5/28.2 - DS918+
Software : OpenPLi - OSCam - Settings van Hans - Autotimer - EPGImport

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember: Upvote with the rep_up.png button for any user/post you find to be helpful, informative, or deserving of recognition!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki

Note: I do not provide support via PM !.

Re: default root password Open PLi 4 #4 betacentauri

• PLi® Core member
  • 7,185 posts

+323
Excellent

Posted 25 December 2016 - 13:53

When you use putty select telnet protocol and not ssh.
Xtrend ET-9200, ET-8000, ET-10000, OpenPliPC on Ubuntu 12.04

Re: default root password Open PLi 4 #5 MrTreha

• 5 posts

Neutral

Posted 25 December 2016 - 15:56

Hi and thanks for replies.
beta : I did both ways - same result

40h3x : thats a hellava workaaround just to get pass to clean box downloaded from openpli.org server but belive it or not I tried jack the ripper file or something like that but 1 i got some errors while trying that solution. what worked for me is to delete the x in passwd file and then it was empty pass and then i could change passwd to something I want. So 1 box is fixed ( I actually tried the exact same thing on exact same box without luck until now ). But second box is not visible on local network via windows explorer so cant use any magic on that part...

WanWizard : I belive you bro but please belive me that the thing you are talking about is not happening on any of 2 boxes I use.

Re: default root password Open PLi 4 #6 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,544 posts

+1,736
Excellent

Posted 25 December 2016 - 16:02

Then you are not using an OpenPLi image we have made. It is as simple as that.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: default root password Open PLi 4 #7 MrTreha

• 5 posts

Neutral

Posted 25 December 2016 - 16:13

Wan : filename is OpenPLi-4.0-beta-dm800se-20161222.nfi and right click in windows gives this size : 52.9 MB (55,517,152 byte) and is downloaded from this location : https://openpli.org/...reambox/dm800se

I am the only owner of this box.

but the same thing is on my friends box ( which I dont have in my house ) with file dated 24.12. from same location.  

Edited by MrTreha, 25 December 2016 - 16:15.

Re: default root password Open PLi 4 #8 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,070 posts

+257
Excellent

Posted 25 December 2016 - 21:59

You need first to setup a password on your root account to be allowed to use putty in secure mode.

That's why Betacentauri told you to use putty in telnet mode and not in ssh one. Or use first a telnet command to connect. user is root

Once connected type:

passwd

To setup a password, then you can connect with putty in ssh mode.

Be careful that if you already connect to the same IP with another device / another image the local ssh key for this IP will need to be cleared on your PC (normally you will get a warning telling you that the key has changed).

Pr2

NO SUPPORT by PM, it is a forum make your question public so everybody can benefit from the question/answer.
If you think that my answer helps you, you can press the up arrow in bottom right of the answer.

Wanna help with OpenPLi Translation? Please read our Wiki Information for translators

Sat: Hotbird 13.0E, Astra 19.2E, Eutelsat5A 5.0W
VU+ Solo 4K: 2*DVB-S2 + 2*DVB-C/T/T2 (used in DVB-C) & Duo 4K: 2*DVB-S2X + DVB-C (FBC)

AB-Com: PULSe 4K 1*DVB-S2X (+ DVB-C/T/T2)
Edision OS Mio 4K: 1*DVB-S2X + 1*DVB-C/T/T2

Re: default root password Open PLi 4 #9 MrTreha

• 5 posts

Neutral

Posted 26 December 2016 - 11:11

I follow your logic Pr2 but here is the thing.

first thing I usually do on a box is to change root passwd. For that I use telnet by cmd. Now the box is fresh burned. Nothing has been altered on it ( am about to do that after root login ) and when I use telnet it asks me for username where I type root and then it asks me for passwd. Thinking of mentioned solutions in this topic it shoudnt aske me for password since there is no password - it should just go straight inside but it doesnt. So I try all the known passwords like just press enter, dreambox or opnpli but no luck. The box says login incorrect. So I am lead to belive that there is actually a some kind of default password. this is happening whatever program i try to use either its dcc, putty, total commander or whatever. The box does get same IP even after burning but thats to static ip assignemtent on the router but as far as I know thats the only thing that is same in the box as it was before burning. If I understand this correctly that password should be in the passwd file in etc folder ( encrypted offcourse ) but there is only one letter x in that file ( like this root:x:0:0:root:/home/root:/bin/sh ) and when that x is removed ( so it lokks like this root::0:0:root:/home/root:/bin/sh ) it works like suggested ( no pass ) . The problem is to get to that point you need to somehow gain control of the box and without root rights I dont know how to do it. Guess i was lucky with first box that was set up properly long time ago on local network and it could be altered without root access ( like normal harddrive folder browsing in windows ).

"Be careful that if you already connect to the same IP with another device / another image the local ssh key for this IP will need to be cleared on your PC (normally you will get a warning telling you that the key has changed)." Now this part sounds intreeging but as much as I try to think about the meaning of this sentence I dont get it entirely. What you are saying is that my PC somehow stored old telnet root login routine either by anticipating that there is a password to be typed in or actuall old password ?

If any of you developers would like me I could demonstrate this same thing by burning the box again and letting you to try to change root passwd with whatever solution you may think will work... I mean I have no reason to lie about origin of the file...

Edited by MrTreha, 26 December 2016 - 11:14.

Re: default root password Open PLi 4 #10 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,544 posts

+1,736
Excellent

Posted 26 December 2016 - 15:15

What I wrote is how it is.

You don't happen to have an autobackup lying around somewhere (harddisk, usb stick) that is automatically restored after a flash?

Re: default root password Open PLi 4 #11 MrTreha

• 5 posts

Neutral

Posted 26 December 2016 - 16:54

No, I usually dont do backup since i preffer clean reload. But i did burn a dm 500 hd today and it worked like a charm...

Re: default root password Open PLi 4 #12 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,070 posts

+257
Excellent

Posted 27 December 2016 - 10:36

"Be careful that if you already connect to the same IP with another device / another image the local ssh key for this IP will need to be cleared on your PC (normally you will get a warning telling you that the key has changed)." Now this part sounds intreeging but as much as I try to think about the meaning of this sentence I dont get it entirely. What you are saying is that my PC somehow stored old telnet root login routine either by anticipating that there is a password to be typed in or actuall old password ?

If any of you developers would like me I could demonstrate this same thing by burning the box again and letting you to try to change root passwd with whatever solution you may think will work... I mean I have no reason to lie about origin of the file...

Telnet is not ssh, so this is true if you use putty or ssh -l root ip.address.ofthebox  for exemple to connect to it.

So if you use telnet no ssh key is stored on your local PC.

NO SUPPORT by PM, it is a forum make your question public so everybody can benefit from the question/answer.
If you think that my answer helps you, you can press the up arrow in bottom right of the answer.

Wanna help with OpenPLi Translation? Please read our Wiki Information for translators

Sat: Hotbird 13.0E, Astra 19.2E, Eutelsat5A 5.0W
VU+ Solo 4K: 2*DVB-S2 + 2*DVB-C/T/T2 (used in DVB-C) & Duo 4K: 2*DVB-S2X + DVB-C (FBC)

AB-Com: PULSe 4K 1*DVB-S2X (+ DVB-C/T/T2)
Edision OS Mio 4K: 1*DVB-S2X + 1*DVB-C/T/T2

Re: default root password Open PLi 4 #13 b_a_b_a_inc

• 16 posts

Neutral

Posted 2 January 2017 - 13:36

Hello,

I've re-installed my Maxdigital XP1000 from scratch and I've downloaded the Dec 31st 2016 nighty build (OpenPLi-4.0-beta-xp1000-20161231_usb.zip).

FYI, I  was on the openPLI3 before (around july 2015)

I had a lot of difficulties to pass the shell authentification (and I have a lot of experience with linux) using putty.

Here is what I done:

I opened putty, and I done a connection using my connection save. it was configured as ssh (port 22) and putty asked me to regenerate rsa keys, and this is what I done, I tried to log as "root" with no password but authentification fails.

So, I came on the openPLI forum to see if there was a new password and I found this thread.

As indicated, I tried to connect using telnet (port 23) and I still was not able to access to the shell. Each time, I'm trying to connect to "root" with no password, the authentification fails.

Finally, I've installed "change root password" in the plugin menu and I set a password using the remote control.

This "workaround" fix the default authentification issue I had, and I was able to connect to shell through putty with my new password.

So, I don't know if I done something bad or if something stale the authentification if we connect first without using telnet.

Edited by b_a_b_a_inc, 2 January 2017 - 13:36.

Re: default root password Open PLi 4 #14 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,544 posts

+1,736
Excellent

Posted 2 January 2017 - 14:35

Did you have a configuration backup somewhere, i.e. die the box prompt you to restore on the first boot after the flash?

If so, it also restored your old password.

If not, on a newly flashed OpenPLi image, there is no password set (telnet should not prompt for one) and SSH doesn't work as it is configured to require a password.

Re: default root password Open PLi 4 #15 b_a_b_a_inc

• 16 posts

Neutral

Posted 3 January 2017 - 14:38

Hi WanWizard,

I reflashed the STB with a fresh image  (http://downloads.pli...0161231_usb.zip).

Previous image was an OpenPLI3.0 but I was unable to update the latest update through OTA because I didn't update often. Most of things like XMLTV started to work as usual (Rytek plugin was outdated)

So, I decided to reinstall the latest image from scratch in order to have a clean image and reinstall all I need to do manually.

So, I just copy the file through my USB key and press ch+ during startup, for reflashing the box.

I didn't have any message of restoration or any prompt during the first boot, and I don't think this STP support this.

Edited by b_a_b_a_inc, 3 January 2017 - 14:41.

Re: default root password Open PLi 4 #16 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,544 posts

+1,736
Excellent

Posted 3 January 2017 - 15:25

Every STB supports that, I've flashed my XP at least 10 times a day the last few days.

But since an XP has no internal storage, if you don't have a backup on the same USB stick you flash with, no backup is detected, and you don't get the prompt.

Re: default root password Open PLi 4 #17 b_a_b_a_inc

• 16 posts

Neutral

Posted 3 January 2017 - 16:41

In my USB key, I've just unzip the OpenPLI4 archive that creates a xp1000 directory and all the needed files inside the directory. Nothing more.

I'm interrested to know how I can have this prompt during the boot. I think you are talking about a kind of multiboot that is performed during the boot of the installed image on the flash, right?

Re: default root password Open PLi 4 #18 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,544 posts

+1,736
Excellent

Posted 3 January 2017 - 18:57

If you have a backup made with the autobackup plugin on the same stick (USB key) that you use to flash the box. If will then ask you after the flash if you want the backup restored.

It has nothing to do with multiboot.

Re: default root password Open PLi 4 #19 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,544 posts

+1,736
Excellent

Posted 3 January 2017 - 19:07

I've just flashed the box without restoring a backup. The box boots then up with the setup wizard.

I can now connect to the box without password:

[wanwizard@catwoman] $ telnet 172.16.1.42
Trying 172.16.1.42...
Connected to 172.16.1.42.
Escape character is '^]'.

openpli 4 xp1000

xp1000 login: root
root@xp1000:~#

So you see, not even a password prompt in sight, so no need to do complicated things.

Re: default root password Open PLi 4 #20 mrvica

• 1,224 posts

+81
Good

Posted 3 January 2017 - 19:55

Total Commander needs password even if none set, in that case input

Login:          root

Password:   root

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users