Photo

XP1000 no longer booting after software update ?!

XP1000 software update

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 cptnkirk

• 22 posts

Neutral

Posted 8 May 2017 - 10:40

Hi there,

I have a XP1000 and did an ONLINE update - since then it will no longer boot - it is stuck at the initial xp1000 blue startup page.

So what have I done so far:

I downloaded the xp1000 image file from Openpli web - and extracted the XP1000 folder to a FAT32 formatted USB drive.

Checked the folder and all the files are in the folder on the USB.

Physically switched off the XP1000 and put the USB in the only USB slot at the back and then held the CH- button and switched the unit back on and then released the button again.

No matter what variation I use - nothing changes - I've changed to another USB in case it did not accept this one.

I've used the CH+ button - and all the other buttons and still it is stuck at the startup page.

So hence this posting now - I think I've tried the lot - what could be wrong?

I regret now having used the 'software update' in the Openpli menu settings.

HELP - thanks

Re: XP1000 no longer booting after software update ?! #2 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,309 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 8 May 2017 - 10:45

Does it flash, or doesn't it? The colour of the leds will indicate wether or not it is flashing. Which image did you download, so I can try it here too?

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: XP1000 no longer booting after software update ?! #3 cptnkirk

• 22 posts

Neutral

Posted 8 May 2017 - 10:51

I get a RED LED - but it does not seem to flash.

The image I used was downloaded here: https://openpli.org/...digital/XP1000/

Thanks for trying to help  :)

Re: XP1000 no longer booting after software update ?! #4 ims

• PLi® Core member
  • 13,608 posts

+211
Excellent

Posted 8 May 2017 - 11:01

I do not know, but is not flash on XP1000 via Power up + hold cca 2s On button ? Long time did not make it via buttons.

You can try rename "noforce" file to "force" and then turn-off/on box (without any buttons). Do not forget after flash plug-out flash before reboot (or rename back "force" to "noforce")

Kdo nic nedělá, nic nezkazí!

Re: XP1000 no longer booting after software update ?! #5 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,309 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 8 May 2017 - 11:07

If it detects the USB image, it will show a red recording and a purple on/off LED. At that time, you need to press the CH+ button. If the lights stay this colour, it's flashing. If not, it will boot up.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: XP1000 no longer booting after software update ?! #6 mimisiku

• 5,458 posts

+114
Excellent

Posted 8 May 2017 - 11:07

Forget it! Those boxes have a build-in security board with a Varta/Rayovac 2032 battery... Once this one is empty the box looses it's security code and is useless. There has been a whole batch fitted with old stock batteries that where almost empty. Here in Holland a lot of those... Just ditch the box and get a more reputable brand... Now you know why they were so cheap...

Same applies for Xtrend boxes as well..
Met één been in het graf..... Helaas

Re: XP1000 no longer booting after software update ?! #7 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,309 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 8 May 2017 - 11:09

Then it should still boot up, and have a working network. So if you have a box in this situation, it's easy to check.

BTW: mine flashes and boots without problems, and I have one of the first pre-production boxes.

Re: XP1000 no longer booting after software update ?! #8 cptnkirk

• 22 posts

Neutral

Posted 8 May 2017 - 11:24

OK - thanks all - I've renamed the noforce to force and then put USB back in.

When I then switch on - I get a NO SIGNAL on my TV screen.

The red led is on constant and so is the purple light on the Power button.

Then after several minutes waiting - I suddenly get the XP1000 blue start up screen again on my TV screen.

And that's it again - NOTHING but the start up page - nothing else - static.

The Network LED's on the back are on green - thus indicating that network is on.

What can I do next? Or do I do something wrong here still?

ISM - what do you mean with cca 2s On button ????? what is 'cca' 

Re: XP1000 no longer booting after software update ?! #9 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,309 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 8 May 2017 - 11:27

As soon as the red and the purple goes on, press the CH+ button. It will then start flashing, and this will take a few minutes. After that, it will reboot.

So I think your flash went ok. If after that Enigma doesn't start, chances are the security board has indeed bought it.

It should have a network connection now, so can you login with telnet, and post the output of the "dmesg" command here?

Re: XP1000 no longer booting after software update ?! #10 ims

• PLi® Core member
  • 13,608 posts

+211
Excellent

Posted 8 May 2017 - 11:28

try check usb stick for lost sectors (under Win, f.eg.) ... then put new image files again and try with "force" again... yesterday I did same ...

cca 2s "on" button ... but as I told, long time did not flash via buttons...

Kdo nic nedělá, nic nezkazí!

Re: XP1000 no longer booting after software update ?! #11 cptnkirk

• 22 posts

Neutral

Posted 8 May 2017 - 11:29

Forget it! Those boxes have a build-in security board with a Varta/Rayovac 2032 battery... Once this one is empty the box looses it's security code and is useless. There has been a whole batch fitted with old stock batteries that where almost empty. Here in Holland a lot of those... Just ditch the box and get a more reputable brand... Now you know why they were so cheap...

Same applies for Xtrend boxes as well..

Hi mimisiku. although I appreciate your feedback - you must be driving a top of the range Mercedes, something I cannot afford and hence me using this forum - if money was no object I completely agree with you, but we all have our limits and wishful thoughts.

Thanks nevertheless for your comments - the unit is faulty since doing an online update - and not because of battery out of power.

Re: XP1000 no longer booting after software update ?! #12 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,309 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 8 May 2017 - 11:38

Please do what I asked, so we can verify if this is indeed the problem. If the manufacturer needs to address an issue, we need proof this issue exists. It could be mimisku is right, and you are the victim of coincidence.

Re: XP1000 no longer booting after software update ?! #13 cptnkirk

• 22 posts

Neutral

Posted 8 May 2017 - 11:39

OK - done and USB checked for errors and I have tried it again - nothing - nada - zilch - just a XP1000 startup page after several minutes.

However - I've noted that when I switch on the box - the Power button goes purple and at the same time the red led above REC goes on - then the Power button goes out and the red led above REC stays on constantly - not going out - and the Power button becomes useless and does not function.

To me this indicates that the unit must go into a waiting state - as soon as you switch it on - because the Power button no longer functions for anything.

Re: XP1000 no longer booting after software update ?! #14 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,309 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 8 May 2017 - 11:41

If it hangs at the XP boot logo, the box has booted!

The problem is that Enigma doesn't start, and that could be because the framebuffer isn't available, and that could be because the drivers don't load, and that could be because the security board is broken.

So I repeat, login and post the "dmesg" log.

Re: XP1000 no longer booting after software update ?! #15 cptnkirk

• 22 posts

Neutral

Posted 8 May 2017 - 11:43

OK - let me try and see if I can telnet onto the box  - will come back with answer soon.

Re: XP1000 no longer booting after software update ?! #16 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,309 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 8 May 2017 - 11:44

Thanks. ;)

Re: XP1000 no longer booting after software update ?! #17 cptnkirk

• 22 posts

Neutral

Posted 8 May 2017 - 11:56

OK - I can connect to the box - and I can see a 'enigma2_crash.log' when I give the command 'ls'

Then I use Putty to FTP to the box to copy this file across.

When I then try and login with WinSCP onto the box - it asks me for a user and password - when I then give it 'root' and 'dreambox' - it tells me that 'Access Denied' because of wrong password.

Could this be the problem - that when updating - it is using the default password 'dreambox' and this is for some reason not the one?

I'm guessing.

Can you help me please with Telnet commands that I need to enter, to be able to show and copy the 'enigma2_crash.log' file?

Or can you help me with commands I need to enter to change the password in Telnet - so that I can access the box with WinSCP ?

Re: XP1000 no longer booting after software update ?! #18 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,309 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 8 May 2017 - 12:02

In telnet, you can do "cat enigma2_crash.log" and past the last 20 lines or so here. But I'm more interested by the output of the "dmesg" command.

To change the password, use the "passwd" command, and follow the prompts.

Re: XP1000 no longer booting after software update ?! #19 cptnkirk

• 22 posts

Neutral

Posted 8 May 2017 - 12:11

root@xp1000:~# cat enigma2_crash.log
OpenPLi Enigma2 crash log

crashdate=Thu Jan  1 01:01:12 1970
compiledate=Apr 27 2017
skin=Default Skin
sourcedate=2017-04-26
branch=(no branch)
rev=ae463b1
component=enigma2

kernelcmdline= ubi.mtd=rootfs rootfstype=ubifs root=ubi0:rootfs bmem=256M@512M b                                  mem=16M console=null consoleblank=0
imageissue=openpli 4 %h

[gFBDC] no framebuffer available

Re: XP1000 no longer booting after software update ?! #20 cptnkirk

• 22 posts

Neutral

Posted 8 May 2017 - 12:14

When I give the command 'dmesg' - all I get is loads and loads of the same lines.

Below I've copied some of the same lines.

'eth0 Link DOWN.

eth0 Link UP.
Auto config phy
eth0: Link is up, 100 Mbps Full Duplex
eth0 Link DOWN.
eth0 Link UP.
Auto config phy
eth0 Link DOWN.
eth0 Link UP.
Auto config phy