• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 technic

• 81 posts

+9
Neutral

Posted 1 November 2017 - 13:31

Hi!

Is there any wifi wizard which allows to connect to wifi easier? In all modern OS user just clicks scan, selects wifi network, enters password, done.

In openpli after scan one needs to toggle switch "use interface yes" (which is weird) then navigate to password line and enter password. In addition encryption is not detected automatically.

If there is no solution exists yet, we can discuss ideas in this topic, and I want to implement such wizard. 

Re: user friendly WiFi setup #2 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,312 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 1 November 2017 - 15:34

The network code in Enigma is ancient, and needs a complete rewrite. So there is nothing modern about it.

Also, wifi isn't promoted a lot as it is very unreliable. This means nobody is really interested to make it more user friendly, as that will lead to even more "my wifi doesn't work" threads on this forum. By default, the primary ethernet interface is enabled, all other interfaces (even on boxes with more fixed ethernet interfaces) are disabled.

A rewrite is on the roadmap, but without anyone assigned to it, and without a possible milestone.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: user friendly WiFi setup #3 technic

• 81 posts

+9
Neutral

Posted 1 November 2017 - 18:38

Do you mean we want something completely different as NetworkManager daemon? Or in what sense it is bad?

What is wrong with reliability of wifi? Is it an enigma2 fault or kernel/driver problems or hardware? In modern world wifi doesn't have issues on all devices around me (laptop, tablet, android etc), and several different stbs ship with a builtin wifi module.

There exist certain wifi cards that doesn't work under linux, but that is another story.

Re: user friendly WiFi setup #4 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,312 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 1 November 2017 - 19:23

No, I think that is overkill. ;)

But the current GUI plugin that deals with networking requires a lot more features. Better wifi support. IPv6 support. Better mount management. Beter media management (mount/unmount/label), etc.

In terms of reliability, most people look at a "connected" icon, and at bandwidth. Which for an STB aren't that interesting. For video, you need very low latency and jitter. Everything is realtime, you don't have massive buffering like on a PC when watching Youtube.

Since wifi is a shared medium that trains on the lowest connected denominator, your kid with an iPhone on the toilet could completely ruin your wifi performance. Not really much of an issue for a softcam connection, bigger issue for recording, massive issue for streaming (especially if you have boxes without tuners and use the fallback tuner, a situation that you see more and more in countries that are forced to use CI modules).

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: user friendly WiFi setup #5 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 1 November 2017 - 21:07

Besides that fact that USB implementation is notoriously bad on set-top-boxes. So indeed, "not promoted".

* Wavefrontier T90 with 28E/23E/19E/13E via SCR switches 2 x 2 x 6 user bands
I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: user friendly WiFi setup #6 technic

• 81 posts

+9
Neutral

Posted 12 November 2017 - 23:31

Shall new network code rely on pythonwifi library or you have a better alternative in mind?

Re: user friendly WiFi setup #7 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,312 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 13 November 2017 - 00:16

No design has been made yet, therefore no solutions to use in the implementation have been selected either.

Re: user friendly WiFi setup #8 Dimmie

• 2,338 posts

+33
Good

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:43

What does it matter when you only does have to do one time some extra steps ? Once done, you never have to do it again. It's not like you have to do this every time your box reboots.

Re: user friendly WiFi setup #9 technic

• 81 posts

+9
Neutral

Posted 14 November 2017 - 19:42

What does it matter when you only does have to do one time some extra steps ? Once done, you never have to do it again. It's not like you have to do this every time your box reboots.

The importance of the issue is a different question.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users