Timeshift recording functionality

• Please log in to reply
Er zijn 5 reacties in dit onderwerp

#1 mihu

• 10 berichten

Neutral

Geplaatst op 22 december 2017 - 22:16

Hello

I am using the in-built permanent timeshift. It is very useful, but has a few bugs and inconveniences.

First the problem with numeric keys, which had been already discussed here: https://forums.openp...eshift-is-live/
Let me only add that sometimes the live mode gets activated when it shouldn't (when paused with plenty of time to skip in both directions) and sometimes it even stops working at all (it means I can't move around in the timeshift recording; it happens rarely).

Another problem is that sometimes the frame doesn't get updated when 'jumping' until you un-pause the playback - this makes browsing the recording very uncomfortable. Perhaps this is driver related; if so my unit is vu uno.

The biggest issue however is the recording functionality. I just can't do it correctly (that is to save what I want). Maybe it's just me, but I think the ergonomics is poor. The concept of 'current' program if timeshift is activated is unclear. I would prefer more simple, unified approach irregardless of timeshift activation. Presenting event titles in the way described below would help substantially to avoid mistakes when recording.

[1] When no timeshift is activated the title of current program should be presented with progress bar:

"The voice of Holland" [rr----------------] 10:20-12:30

[2] When timeshift is activated and there are finished (timeshifted) programs:

"Nieuws"               [---------------ooo] 18:00-18:15

"Voetbal Inside"       [oooooooooooooooooo] 18:15-19:00

"Studio sport"         [wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww] 19:00-22:00

"Muziek"               [rrrrrrrr----------] 22:00-22:45

The progress bars could be color coded. Letters r/w/o are used here instead of colors and indicate currently received, currently watched (timeshifted) and old events respectively. It should be possible to save more events at once. Currently received events should be saved completely, not partially (in the example above 'Muziek' should be saved up to 22:45).

I am using an external hdd for timeshift and it would be nice if optionally the recordings could be automatically moved to the movie directory, but this is a minor issue.

Best regards

Michał

Re: Timeshift recording functionality #2 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6046 berichten

+256
Excellent

Geplaatst op 23 december 2017 - 19:34

Hi,

For the key jump issues of course I agree with you.

The distinction between old and watched cannot be made because for older events how would you know if you have really watched them of just skip them with jump of fast forward keys.

The timeshift is just one big circular file so there is no file created for every events, moreover how will you then handle the security marging that you can set while recording, sometimes the EPG is not accurate so you cannot rely to it to start/stop a recording.

About the choice to save the timeshift automatically in the movie folder this is already foreseen, enable the pop when timeshift is stopped and you will have severals options there.

And the idea to stop timeshift but continue to record the current program, if I remember well I think that I also suggest it a long time ago, so of course I also agree with you.

This option should be possible too in the timeshift stop menu.

Pr2

NO SUPPORT by PM, it is a forum make your question public so everybody can benefit from the question/answer.
If you think that my answer helps you, you can press the up arrow in bottom right of the answer.

Wanna help with OpenPLi Translation? Please read our Wiki Information for translators

Sat: Hotbird 13.0E, Astra 19.2E, Eutelsat5A 5.0W
VU+ Solo 4K: 2*DVB-S2 + 2*DVB-C/T/T2 (used in DVB-C) & Duo 4K: 2*DVB-S2X + DVB-C (FBC)

AB-Com: PULSe 4K 1*DVB-S2X (+ DVB-C/T/T2)
Edision OS Mio 4K: 1*DVB-S2X + 1*DVB-C/T/T2

Re: Timeshift recording functionality #3 mihu

• 10 berichten

Neutral

Geplaatst op 23 december 2017 - 20:48

Thanks for your response

Let me clearify the indicators...

'w' means the event is currently being watched (not something that had been watched, which obviously can not be detected in a sensible way)
Most probably this would be the event you want to save, but it doesn't have to be the last one in the timeshift buffer, that's why this indicator is useful.

'r' means the event is currently being received from the satellite (in progress), so it is to be completed (if you don't change the channel)

'o' means older (passed) events, irregardless of whether you actually watched them, available for saving
The first 'old' event will usually be incomplete, unless you turn on the tuner right on time when the program starts.

As for the security margin for EPG divergence...

If the data is available in the circular buffer it can be copied.
My scenario is as follows - I start watching a program but cannot wait till the end. In this case the start margin doesn't matter and the stop margin is or will be available later when the event is finished.

Regards,

Michał

Re: Timeshift recording functionality #4 Jantars

• 8 berichten

Neutral

Geplaatst op 30 december 2017 - 13:35

MIHU: "Another problem is that sometimes the frame doesn't get updated when 'jumping' until you un-pause the playback - this makes browsing the recording very uncomfortable. Perhaps this is driver related; if so my unit is vu uno."

I have VU+ SOLO4K and I have to say it is far away my biggest annoying bug. Can anyone confirm what kind of problem it is? I thought it is problem of OpenPLI driver, but several months ago I tried VTI and OpenATV and I got the same problem....... now I tested OpenPLI 6.0 and 6.1RC and problem is not fixed............. does anyone know 100% the reason?

Re: Timeshift recording functionality #5 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6046 berichten

+256
Excellent

Geplaatst op 30 december 2017 - 21:32

OpenPLi is not providing any driver, the driver came from the box manufacturer and should respect some standard API structure. So when the API is called by OpenPLi it is supposed to work properly, if not it is a driver bug so you need to blame the manufacturer for it.

Try open up a case at VU+ and cross fingers, but don't expect any answer from VU+ side.

NO SUPPORT by PM, it is a forum make your question public so everybody can benefit from the question/answer.
If you think that my answer helps you, you can press the up arrow in bottom right of the answer.

Wanna help with OpenPLi Translation? Please read our Wiki Information for translators

Sat: Hotbird 13.0E, Astra 19.2E, Eutelsat5A 5.0W
VU+ Solo 4K: 2*DVB-S2 + 2*DVB-C/T/T2 (used in DVB-C) & Duo 4K: 2*DVB-S2X + DVB-C (FBC)

AB-Com: PULSe 4K 1*DVB-S2X (+ DVB-C/T/T2)
Edision OS Mio 4K: 1*DVB-S2X + 1*DVB-C/T/T2

Re: Timeshift recording functionality #6 retryzgr

• 5 berichten

Neutral

Geplaatst op 4 maart 2018 - 15:11

Sorry for refreshing old topic, did anyone managed to set a limit for time recording of timeshift? I would like to set it to max 2 hours so that the box wouldn't try to record 5 hours +?

1 gebruiker(s) lezen dit onderwerp

0 leden, 1 bezoekers, 0 anonieme gebruikers