Photo

Should E2 be edited to accomodate plugins?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 7 June 2018 - 16:56

Is it a good idea to modify E2 in order to get a plugin to work?

For exact questions and examples see comments on https://github.com/O...368cf490c88b009

Re: Should E2 be edited to accomodate plugins? #2 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,303 posts

+1,718
Excellent

Posted 7 June 2018 - 17:22

My 2ct:

That depends. Ideally not, but if the API is insufficient, it might be unavoidable. I think it needs to be looked at case by case. From all the misery plugins inflict, there are much bigger evils than this. They entire plugin system sucks anyway, the fact alone that you need custom code in Enigma to start an optional plugin (that import will fail miserably if the plugin isn't there) is a classical example.

In this case, this snippet of code is explicitly there to accomodate the integration of the plugin in the GUI, so if the (API of the) plugin changes, it is logical that the integration changes to.

I personally don't really care about the compatibility argument, that is something that works both ways, and nobody really bothers with making sure their "product" is OpenPLi compatible either. And it is one of the main reasons there is absolutely no innovation in this community, as everyone "needs" to stay compatible with a flawed 10+ year old design...

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Should E2 be edited to accomodate plugins? #3 ims

• PLi® Core member
  • 13,605 posts

+210
Excellent

Posted 7 June 2018 - 19:03

Where is your problem ? I changed my line item = self.getCurrentSelection()[0] to item = self.getCurrentSelection() for never version of my plugin ... and ???

In addition, both it is in develop!  Never happened to you that you needed to change something?

Kdo nic nedělá, nic nezkazí!

Re: Should E2 be edited to accomodate plugins? #4 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 8 June 2018 - 05:00

Pfffew, why such a nervous and angry reaction to a perfect legitimate question? Without even answering the question itself?

See WanWizard's response as an example of a decent response.

Re: Should E2 be edited to accomodate plugins? #5 ims

• PLi® Core member
  • 13,605 posts

+210
Excellent

Posted 8 June 2018 - 06:56

I think, that it was relevant answer to question: "Is it a good idea to modify E2 in order to get a plugin to work?"

Yes, it is good idea, especialy, if both changes are under PLi (e2, plugin), both are my code determined for e2-this plugin only, and mainly - both are under develop repository ...  I can not take into account that some people releasing our "develop" repo code as their final releasing... yes, then they can to have problems...

Edited by ims, 8 June 2018 - 06:57.

Re: Should E2 be edited to accomodate plugins? #6 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,123 posts

+685
Excellent

Posted 8 June 2018 - 07:04

In this case more stuff is forwarded to the plugin (that was how I see it pure technically as previously only index 2 was forwarded, now the complete list).. when it has added value other images should adapt (sorry then for the other images.. it is a simple change!!).. when it does not have added value this commit should be reverted... as far I can see this modification is just for 1 plugin... that already needs special code in e2 to be executed... (also a not done from the past)

Edited by littlesat, 8 June 2018 - 07:07.

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: Should E2 be edited to accomodate plugins? #7 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 8 June 2018 - 08:14

So let me rephrase my question: PLi's motto has always been that a plugin should be adapted to work in (their) E2 and not the other way around. And IMHO that is a good motto.

But for this plugin PLi has changed it's attitude, and modified E2 to accommodate this plugin. Question now is: will PLi do the same for other plugins?

And a related question: originally the moviemanager wasn't a plugin at all, but embedded E2-functionality. Why has this been changed to a plugin?

IMHO this should have remained embedded functionality; and in that case PLi's motto would remain untouched.

Re: Should E2 be edited to accomodate plugins? #8 ims

• PLi® Core member
  • 13,605 posts

+210
Excellent

Posted 8 June 2018 - 08:38

1) if extended version of plugin needs more info than older version, then lines added into e2 for this plugin must be changed, it is logical ... once again - this lines are in e2 for this plugin only ! If I created this plugin, I put into e2 code for forwarding item as self.getCurrentSelection()[0] . When I added some features, I need item as self.getCurrentSelection().

Thats all... and - may be - in future will be this plugin independent and lines for run will be redundant... Q: still must be then this lines in e2 too ?

2) it was moved to standallone plugin due easier development and because not all users want using it - and it is unnecessary increased enigma2 size in this case (problem with size on several older boxes). Can author tell if he wants it as code in e2 or as plugin, or no ?

3) Btw - your Q is irelevant from same start - both changes ( in e2 and in plugin) was made in develop repository - due it there exists develop repository!

howgh

Re: Should E2 be edited to accomodate plugins? #9 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,123 posts

+685
Excellent

Posted 8 June 2018 - 09:34

We've here an exception entrance to a specific plugin... where in E2 code a specific plugin is called when it exists... For the functionality this plugin needs more parameters and that is done here by removing the 'index'... So this is fully in line with OpenPLi's policy....

What is kind of doubtfull actually is the entrance exception for the plugin itself...

In fact it is not E2 that is not adapted to the plugin -but- the exception entrance.... ;)

Don't worry -be- happy...

Edited by littlesat, 8 June 2018 - 09:35.

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: Should E2 be edited to accomodate plugins? #10 ims

• PLi® Core member
  • 13,605 posts

+210
Excellent

Posted 8 June 2018 - 09:54

What is kind of doubtfull actually is the entrance exception for the plugin itself...

Because I added feature, which need diferent way for get list - If you want, I will remove whole code for this plugin from E2 ... It will works, but for basic features it will be slower and some feature will not be...

Edited by ims, 8 June 2018 - 09:58.

Re: Should E2 be edited to accomodate plugins? #11 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,303 posts

+1,718
Excellent

Posted 8 June 2018 - 10:56

The root cause of this discussion remains the lousy architecture of Enigma.

The fact alone that Enigma contains plugin specific code and does the import of the plugin is a sure sign of code rot, which can't be helped without a significant redesign, which will render all plugins obsolete as well (see my earlier remark about compatibility vs progress and innovation).

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: Should E2 be edited to accomodate plugins? #12 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 8 June 2018 - 11:20

That and some functionality is implemented as a plugin, even though it's build from the same recipe as enigma itself and enigma can't reasonably work without them...

* Wavefrontier T90 with 28E/23E/19E/13E via SCR switches 2 x 2 x 6 user bands
I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: Should E2 be edited to accomodate plugins? #13 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 10 June 2018 - 11:55

Wouldn't it have been better if the MovieManager wasn't a plugin, but embedded E2-code?

I still think that if a plugin requires E2 to be amended, it isn't a (real) plugin.

3) Btw - your Q is irelevant from same start - both changes ( in e2 and in plugin) was made in develop repository - due it there exists develop repository!

That is neither correct nore the point: https://github.com/O...c526e738f009c1a is in release 6.2
And isn't all code in the dev-repos going to end up in release (unless being reverted)?

Re: Should E2 be edited to accomodate plugins? #14 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,303 posts

+1,718
Excellent

Posted 10 June 2018 - 12:33

Wouldn't it have been better if the MovieManager wasn't a plugin, but embedded E2-code?

I still think that if a plugin requires E2 to be amended, it isn't a (real) plugin.

If there is such a dependency, I'd say yes.

Re: Should E2 be edited to accomodate plugins? #15 ims

• PLi® Core member
  • 13,605 posts

+210
Excellent

Posted 10 June 2018 - 12:37

If coremembers want - I will remove this several lines of PLi's E2...   I think - as author I can tell, if I want place whole code into e2 or no. My result is no

It seems as your image authors want not add several lines to code for run this plugin ... btw - from same start this plugin was created as "for PLi".

meantime I readed reaction...

@WanWizard ... I will remove this lines from e2 ...

Re: Should E2 be edited to accomodate plugins? #16 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,303 posts

+1,718
Excellent

Posted 10 June 2018 - 13:17

I am not sure where this reaction comes from.

The remark was that if you make something that is tightly integrated with Enigma, or should be tightly integrated with Enigma, don't make it a plugin, but integrate it?

That doesn't strike me as something you should become angry about?

Re: Should E2 be edited to accomodate plugins? #17 ims

• PLi® Core member
  • 13,605 posts

+210
Excellent

Posted 10 June 2018 - 13:24

It is not tightly integrated with Enigma or should be tightly integrated with Enigma . It was called from E2 for better function only. Thats all.

If the purity of e2 code is compromised, as I can read in this thread, then is better remove this 16lines form e2 and leave it as standallone plugin only...

Re: Should E2 be edited to accomodate plugins? #18 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,303 posts

+1,718
Excellent

Posted 10 June 2018 - 13:28

That makes it even worse.

That means that as an enduser, I have to go to the movie list for one subset of functionality, and to menu/plugins/moviemanager for the another set of functionality.

To me a bit like puting the reverse of your car on a separate gear stick, in the backseat...

Re: Should E2 be edited to accomodate plugins? #19 ims

• PLi® Core member
  • 13,605 posts

+210
Excellent

Posted 10 June 2018 - 13:37

To me a bit like puting the reverse of your car on a separate gear stick, in the backseat...

It could be funny , imho...

Re: Should E2 be edited to accomodate plugins? #20 Huevos

• PLi® Contributor
  • 4,229 posts

+158
Excellent

Posted 10 June 2018 - 22:08

Why was it made a plugin at all? Why not just an extra screen in OpenPLi/enigma2? And if it does need code in an enigma screen why is the plugin on a different repo.

IMHO, it is fine having those lines in enigma as long as the plugin is part of the enigma repo. Otherwise, not.

Edited by Huevos, 10 June 2018 - 22:09.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users