←  The Lounge

Forums

»

HDD to VU+ Duo2

Amatøren's Photo Amatøren 14 Jun 2018

Hi

Can anyone confirm that this HDD can be used in my VU+ Duo2?

HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB 3.5'' NAS HDD SATA 6.0Gb/s, 7200RPM, 256MB cache

What I am specifict thinking of, is that is no problem of the size. Physical AND storage capasity.

Can anyone confirm that this HDD can be used in my VU+ Duo2?

Any information about max size of HDD in VU+ Duo2?

WanWizard's Photo WanWizard 14 Jun 2018

No experience with that disk, but I don't see why it wouldn't work, it is a standard SATA disk.

Having said that, it's a NAS disk, running at 7200rpm, so it isn't the quietest disks. It might run hot as well. And it is designed for allways on,  not for the start/stop behaviour of disks in the STB. So personally I would not do this if I needed this amount of storage, but get a NAS instead.

Thanks for advice.

I was thinking about the 7200 rpm disk was better if I got lots of recordings simultaneously. Will a 5400 rpm disk be good enough?

So an 8 TB HDD will not be a problem?

Edited by Amatøren, 14 June 2018 - 11:05.

WanWizard's Photo WanWizard 14 Jun 2018

I can't say for sure, I never used them. I have my storage in a NAS.

And a 5400rpm disk is more than fast enough, even recording 10 high-end channels will probably not exceed 100Mbps, which is not a problem for a modern SATA disk. It's more likely the SATA port of the SoC will block before the disk does...

Thanks!

betacentauri's Photo betacentauri 14 Jun 2018

Please also read about PMR and SMR. I think PMR is better for STBs afaik.

40H3X's Photo 40H3X 14 Jun 2018

You can also have a look at this in the wiki https://wiki.openpli...ellite_receiver

It comes to the same conclusion 5400rpm is good enough.

ims's Photo ims 14 Jun 2018

7200rpm hdds are not ideal to cases without good ventilation (all boxes, imho). And produce more noise and vibration too.

I am using in all boxes with internal hdd 5400 2,5" WD AV-25 1TB

MiLo's Photo MiLo 14 Jun 2018

It's impossible these days to buy a disk that won't be able to keep up with at least 8 simultaneous UHD recordings.

Even really really old disks (before we had SATA) easily do 50MB/s (about 400Mbps) transfer rates. If it has a SATA interface, it will be plenty fast enough because it's new enough.

Amatøren's Photo Amatøren 11 Sep 2018

Thanks.

I have now OpenPLi 6.2 on my (new - the old was striked by lightning.....) VU+ Duo2 with grid EPG on red button and subtitle choice on teletext button.

Running WD RED NAS 8 TB 5400 rpm for recordings.

Case closed.

winda8's Photo winda8 30 Oct 2018

Thank you!