Photo

Signal finder remote use

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mjray

• 61 posts

Neutral

Posted 29 August 2018 - 12:07

I can't see my TV from up the ladder by the dish. I can send the audio to the house system and hear that. Is there some way to enable sound on the built-in signal finder?

Or some other way you'd suggest being able to monitor the lock from the ladder without wiring in a gauge that I last did in maybe 2003?

Backstory: Recent storms moved my dish. I can get a basic lock for most channels by trial and error but optimising it so I can get Das Erste HD and friends requires more small adjustments than I seem able to do going up and down the ladder each time. Unless there's some problem receiving those channels on a ZGemma H9S?

Edited by mjray, 29 August 2018 - 12:07.

Re: Signal finder remote use #2 mrvica

• 1,218 posts

+80
Good

Posted 29 August 2018 - 13:24

https://forums.openp...ndpost&p=921359
it is beeping more frequently when you are aiming closer to the satellite, kind of cold..cold..warm..warm..hot..hot, give it a try, tap on icon satellite search, choose satellite and transponder, tap on the small LNB icon at the bottom, hold the cell phone in the hand aiming to the satellite into the direction you think it could be, you may even attach the phone someway to the dish or just put it on the dish and hold it

Re: Signal finder remote use #3 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,046 posts

+256
Excellent

Posted 29 August 2018 - 13:25

I guess that you have a smartphone, there are several enigma2 signal finder application available there.

This is what most of us use to point our antenna.

NO SUPPORT by PM, it is a forum make your question public so everybody can benefit from the question/answer.
If you think that my answer helps you, you can press the up arrow in bottom right of the answer.

Wanna help with OpenPLi Translation? Please read our Wiki Information for translators

Sat: Hotbird 13.0E, Astra 19.2E, Eutelsat5A 5.0W
VU+ Solo 4K: 2*DVB-S2 + 2*DVB-C/T/T2 (used in DVB-C) & Duo 4K: 2*DVB-S2X + DVB-C (FBC)

AB-Com: PULSe 4K 1*DVB-S2X (+ DVB-C/T/T2)
Edision OS Mio 4K: 1*DVB-S2X + 1*DVB-C/T/T2

Re: Signal finder remote use #4 mjray

• 61 posts

Neutral

Posted 29 August 2018 - 14:45

Thanks for the replies but none of those apps seem to be on my phone's app store (f-droid), plus I don't really have any hands to operate a phone while up the ladder, nor anywhere to put it where I could see it, so that doesn't seem like a great approach to me. I feel it really would be much easier if the TV made a noise like my last few receivers did. If it's not possible yet, I'll file a feature request and try to develop it when I get time, but the first version will probably be hacky because I really want those channels soon.

Re: Signal finder remote use #5 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,046 posts

+256
Excellent

Posted 29 August 2018 - 15:19

Some android App generate sounds to help you point your antenna, so you don't have to manipulate your phone.

Otherwise you need to invest in a sat finder that you put between the LNB and your STB.

But if you are a developper you simply need to pool this:

http://your_ip_box/web/signal?AGC=

To create your own signal meter application.

See here for details:

https://dream.reichh...t/e2web/#signal

Pr2

NO SUPPORT by PM, it is a forum make your question public so everybody can benefit from the question/answer.
If you think that my answer helps you, you can press the up arrow in bottom right of the answer.

Wanna help with OpenPLi Translation? Please read our Wiki Information for translators

Sat: Hotbird 13.0E, Astra 19.2E, Eutelsat5A 5.0W
VU+ Solo 4K: 2*DVB-S2 + 2*DVB-C/T/T2 (used in DVB-C) & Duo 4K: 2*DVB-S2X + DVB-C (FBC)

AB-Com: PULSe 4K 1*DVB-S2X (+ DVB-C/T/T2)
Edision OS Mio 4K: 1*DVB-S2X + 1*DVB-C/T/T2

Re: Signal finder remote use #6 mjray

• 61 posts

Neutral

Posted 2 September 2018 - 21:15

On the wiki, I found that I could get https://mybox/mobile/satfinder which worked well enough.

Re: Signal finder remote use #7 Huevos

• PLi® Contributor
  • 4,231 posts

+158
Excellent

Posted 4 September 2018 - 19:08

Thanks for the replies but none of those apps seem to be on my phone's app store (f-droid), plus I don't really have any hands to operate a phone while up the ladder,

Why do you need a ladder to adjust a dish?

Re: Signal finder remote use #8 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,312 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 4 September 2018 - 20:53

Dish hangs 4 meters up on a walll bracket?

Quite common in the UK, internal pipe work for cables like is common on the continent does not exist, so they just stick the dish on the wall somewhere, and nail the cable to the outside brickwork and drill holes where it needs to go in (don't ask me ;)).

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Signal finder remote use #9 Huevos

• PLi® Contributor
  • 4,231 posts

+158
Excellent

Posted 4 September 2018 - 22:43

No motorised dish is ever properly aligned if it has to be adjusted from a ladder. And I say that as a professional installer that adjusts hundreds of dishes every year. And also no motorised dish is ever going to be adjusted right by looking at the output of SF. By the sounds of it, it's not even on T and K's.

Re: Signal finder remote use #10 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,312 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 4 September 2018 - 22:47

Ah, a motorized one... Missed that. For a fixed dish, it is the only way to adjust it. ;)

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Signal finder remote use #11 mjray

• 61 posts

Neutral

Posted 5 September 2018 - 11:20

Dish hangs 4 meters up on a wall bracket?

Worse - it's on a pole (on T+Ks) looking back diagonally over a sloping roof to its east, which I think is probably why it's been vulnerable to storm damage. That's a previous owner's siting choice (or more likely a Sky installer) which I've not changed. Putting it on a more accessible bracket would mean running cables well away from the building so it can see over it in a wide enough arc and even then, trees may grow into its way. They didn't think about satellite reception when building this place...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users