Photo

Odd things with 19.2°e HD channels

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mjray

• 61 posts

Neutral

Posted 2 September 2018 - 21:38

I can receive some of them fine, others intermittently, some not at all, including TV5FBS which I'd really like. I thought it might be dish alignment (so the recent signal meter question) but it doesn't seem to be. Are TV5FBS and some others known to be weaker signals than others? Any suggestions what else might be blocking me and how to debug with openpli 6.2 on a zgemma h9s?

Re: Odd things with 19.2°e HD channels #2 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,046 posts

+256
Excellent

Posted 2 September 2018 - 22:56

Hi,

First properly align your antenna, I can receive 19.2E and I have no problem with these channels but it is not FTA, it is scrambled.

Check the skew of your LNB this is important but you need to use a signal meter (on smartphone or an external one).

Pr2

NO SUPPORT by PM, it is a forum make your question public so everybody can benefit from the question/answer.
If you think that my answer helps you, you can press the up arrow in bottom right of the answer.

Wanna help with OpenPLi Translation? Please read our Wiki Information for translators

Sat: Hotbird 13.0E, Astra 19.2E, Eutelsat5A 5.0W
VU+ Solo 4K: 2*DVB-S2 + 2*DVB-C/T/T2 (used in DVB-C) & Duo 4K: 2*DVB-S2X + DVB-C (FBC)

AB-Com: PULSe 4K 1*DVB-S2X (+ DVB-C/T/T2)
Edision OS Mio 4K: 1*DVB-S2X + 1*DVB-C/T/T2

Re: Odd things with 19.2°e HD channels #3 Trial

• 1,127 posts

+34
Good

Posted 3 September 2018 - 07:44

Hi,

of course the have different strength. 19E is not 1 sat they are several. Some are new and strong some are old and more or less weak. With my 90cm dish there is almost a factor of 2 between the strongest and the weakest.

When you want to optimize your dish switch to a weak channel and try to maximize the SNR value. It does not make sense to use a strong channel for this.

ciao

Re: Odd things with 19.2°e HD channels #4 mjray

• 61 posts

Neutral

Posted 3 September 2018 - 08:04

Thanks for the replies. TV5FBS is shown on both Lyngsat and Kingofsat as FTA at 19.2°E. I'm sure my dish is about as well aligned as I can get it. I'll try to find a list of signal strength measurements and see if that correlates with what I can see and not. I thought Kingofsat had reception reports but maybe they removed it. Does anyone know a site that does, please?

Re: Odd things with 19.2°e HD channels #5 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,046 posts

+256
Excellent

Posted 3 September 2018 - 11:01

Sorry indeed "TV5 Monde" on 12128 V 29700 2/3 8PSK 19.2E is FTA.

How many dB do you get on this channel (or your SNR value)?

NO SUPPORT by PM, it is a forum make your question public so everybody can benefit from the question/answer.
If you think that my answer helps you, you can press the up arrow in bottom right of the answer.

Wanna help with OpenPLi Translation? Please read our Wiki Information for translators

VU+ Solo 4K: 2*DVB-S2 + 2*DVB-C/T/T2 (used in DVB-C) & Duo 4K: 2*DVB-S2X + DVB-C (FBC)

Re: Odd things with 19.2°e HD channels #6 mjray

• 61 posts

Neutral

Posted 3 September 2018 - 12:04

Oh is that Monde now? I really want the FBS version. :-(

I see nothing at 12129v29700 2/3 8PSK but 36% SNR on DVB-S 11538v22000 auto QPSK (TV5 MONDE).

Re: Odd things with 19.2°e HD channels #7 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,046 posts

+256
Excellent

Posted 3 September 2018 - 13:43

No it is called TV5 Monde while scanning channel but the content is the one from France Belgium Suisse (FBS). 

see:

Attached File  TV5MondeFBS.jpg   169.74KB   3 downloads

The other one on Astra is called: TV5 Monde Europe (to make the distinction and programs are slightly different).

Attached File  TV5MondeEurope.jpg   185.7KB   2 downloads

36% SNR is really too low to receive something valuable. Your SNR should be at at least 60% to get a correct picture.

In which area are you living? 

You can check the recommended dish size for Astra here:

http://www.lyngsat-m...1KR-Europe.html

Pr2

Re: Odd things with 19.2°e HD channels #8 mjray

• 61 posts

Neutral

Posted 4 September 2018 - 17:08

I'm in Norfolk, England. The picture seems fine with 36%, but it's much higher on 28.2°e channels, around 70%. I wonder if the recent storms have damaged either dish or LNB. They seem to have snapped a bit off the terrestial antenna, so I've got to call someone out anyway (I detest long ladder work). What's usually a good channel at 19.2°e to fine-tune on? Also, how do I save motor positions in the setup? I've never been convinced my old USALS motor is bug-free...

Edited by mjray, 4 September 2018 - 17:08.

Re: Odd things with 19.2°e HD channels #9 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,311 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 4 September 2018 - 17:22

I'm a few hunderd miles further north than you, and I have 14.1dB on "Al Jazeera HD", 12.3dB on "Anixe HD", 12.8dB on "Telesur HD", all FTA channels. And I have a triple-block, in which the rotation of the LNB is a bit comprimised.

So I'd say you should be able to have much better reception.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users