Skin backup

skin backup vu+

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 serch826

• 73 posts

Neutral

Posted 25 September 2018 - 06:28

Hi, i´m running with the latest PLI RC in my VU+Duo2, i want to keep my skin after image flashing, because the one i´m using (Skin-MX-HQ10-BY-Matrix10.MoD.RAED_PLi6) doesn't includes in the PLI feeds and after each flashing i´ve to install then again and again.

So my question is if there is some way to just backup the skin and restore then after flashing the new image?

Or maybe could be this skin includes in the PLI feeds?

Thanks för any help.

Vu+ DUO 2 PLI  Nightly Build with Wave Frontier T55, 4 twin LNB 19.2E, 13.0E, 4.8E and 0.8W

Re: Skin backup #2 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,070 posts

+257
Excellent

Posted 25 September 2018 - 08:43

Hi,

Skins are stored into:

/usr/share/enigma2

You should find a folder with the name of your skin.

But be careful that some skins add some python component too, so just taking a backup of this folder is may be not enough.

But if you have the .ipk of your skin, the easy way is to reinstall the .ipk.

If you want a skin to be added into a the OpenPLi please provide us with the git (github, gitlab,...) address of the skin.

You should also know that skins are the main reasons for green screen so it is important to use the latest version of the skin and the skin creator needs to follow the image evolutions.

Pr2

NO SUPPORT by PM, it is a forum make your question public so everybody can benefit from the question/answer.
If you think that my answer helps you, you can press the up arrow in bottom right of the answer.

Wanna help with OpenPLi Translation? Please read our Wiki Information for translators

Sat: Hotbird 13.0E, Astra 19.2E, Eutelsat5A 5.0W
VU+ Solo 4K: 2*DVB-S2 + 2*DVB-C/T/T2 (used in DVB-C) & Duo 4K: 2*DVB-S2X + DVB-C (FBC)

AB-Com: PULSe 4K 1*DVB-S2X (+ DVB-C/T/T2)
Edision OS Mio 4K: 1*DVB-S2X + 1*DVB-C/T/T2

Re: Skin backup #3 serch826

• 73 posts

Neutral

Posted 25 September 2018 - 17:42

Hi, thanks for replaying, yes i know the place for the Skin and just copy and paste the files doesn't work, that´s why i´ve to install the skin, regarding the skin it works fine and i has no had any green screen for this skin.

Vu+ DUO 2 PLI  Nightly Build with Wave Frontier T55, 4 twin LNB 19.2E, 13.0E, 4.8E and 0.8W

Re: Skin backup #4 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,070 posts

+257
Excellent

Posted 25 September 2018 - 19:20

Then this skin is adding additional python modules so it is better to always properly reinstall it. :-)

If you have an internal HDD on your STB you can create a folder plugins on it, place the plugin there and you can create a small .sh script in this folder with:

#!/bin/sh
opkg install ./my_favorite_plugin
opkg install ./my_favorite_skin

Then chmod 755 myscript.sh

So when you have installed another image or upgrade it, you just need to launch the script and everything will be reinstalled for you.

Pr2

NO SUPPORT by PM, it is a forum make your question public so everybody can benefit from the question/answer.
If you think that my answer helps you, you can press the up arrow in bottom right of the answer.

Wanna help with OpenPLi Translation? Please read our Wiki Information for translators

VU+ Solo 4K: 2*DVB-S2 + 2*DVB-C/T/T2 (used in DVB-C) & Duo 4K: 2*DVB-S2X + DVB-C (FBC)

Re: Skin backup #5 serch826

• 73 posts

Neutral

Posted 26 September 2018 - 08:32

Then this skin is adding additional python modules so it is better to always properly reinstall it. :-)

If you have an internal HDD on your STB you can create a folder plugins on it, place the plugin there and you can create a small .sh script in this folder with:

#!/bin/sh

So when you have installed another image or upgrade it, you just need to launch the script and everything will be reinstalled for you.

Pr2

Thank you, i´ll try this

Re: Skin backup #6 serch826

• 73 posts

Neutral

Posted 27 September 2018 - 17:43

#!/bin/sh

Pr2

Hi again, so i manage to put the script in ppanel and execute then via the remote control, i also tried to put this files in the backup folder via the Setting in the box, but it´s looks like didn't work, tested to flash the image again and they disappeared after the new image was flashed.

Now other question, there is some way to keep these files? so i can execute the script directly after new image flashed?

Thanks for any help! 

Re: Skin backup #7 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,070 posts

+257
Excellent

Posted 27 September 2018 - 19:27

Hi,

You of course need to update the script to your personal need by replacing what I have called ./my_favorite_... with the real name of the package.

The script is just installing them you then need to configure them.

So if you copy this script like this, indeed it does nothing and you need to place the scrip on an external media that is not touched when you reflash your box, that's why I was mentionning the internal hdd:  /media/hdd/

Pr2

Re: Skin backup #8 serch826

• 73 posts

Neutral

Posted 27 September 2018 - 19:40

Hi,

You of course need to update the script to your personal need by replacing what I have called ./my_favorite_... with the real name of the package.

The script is just installing them you then need to configure them.

So if you copy this script like this, indeed it does nothing and you need to place the scrip on an external media that is not touched when you reflash your box, that's why I was mentionning the internal hdd:  /media/hdd/

Pr2

Hi, thanks again, yes i´ve the script and the ipk files in the internal HDD, but how to execute then after flashing  with the remote control?

Thanks again for your time.

Re: Skin backup #9 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,070 posts

+257
Excellent

Posted 27 September 2018 - 19:48

Hi,

With the remote control unfortunately I didn't saw any "out-of-box" possible solution. Since the place used by PPanel is also overwritten during flash.

When I flash my box I always connect with telnet and start the script to reinstall things like I'd like.

So you always need to have some FTP or telnet access.

May be somebody else knows a plugin that can installed from the feed that will allow to run a shell script placed on the hdd from the RCU.

Pr2 

Re: Skin backup #10 blzr

• PLi® Core member
  • 2,269 posts

+118
Excellent

Posted 27 September 2018 - 22:21

@serch826
you can backup any folder/file with autobackup plugin, and restore it at first boot after flash (if you accept when asked if restore settings from backup)
so, you need:
- go to autobackup plugin > menu > select files to backup > browse to your skin folder, and probably also some its own specific converters/renderers (you'd need to look into your skin package structure, to make sure what it exactly consists), and mark them all to be backed up (yellow)> save (green)
- create a backup manually (yellow), unless you have daily automatic backup option set
then, after flash, when you choose to restore settings, your skin should be restored, and box should run with it on...

True sarcasm doesn't need green font...

Re: Skin backup #11 serch826

• 73 posts

Neutral

Posted 28 September 2018 - 07:57

@serch826
you can backup any folder/file with autobackup plugin, and restore it at first boot after flash (if you accept when asked if restore settings from backup)
so, you need:
- go to autobackup plugin > menu > select files to backup > browse to your skin folder, and probably also some its own specific converters/renderers (you'd need to look into your skin package structure, to make sure what it exactly consists), and mark them all to be backed up (yellow)> save (green)
- create a backup manually (yellow), unless you have daily automatic backup option set
then, after flash, when you choose to restore settings, your skin should be restored, and box should run with it on...

Hi, thank you, that´s what i´m doing always, but the problem is that when flashing new image you lose those files.

Have you tested on your own box?

Thanks again.

Re: Skin backup #12 blzr

• PLi® Core member
  • 2,269 posts

+118
Excellent

Posted 28 September 2018 - 10:32

sure I did, I used to use own modified skin (until finally lost desire to continuously  maintain it to get it in sync with image development anymore ;))
worked for me without problems, after reflash the box always started with my own skin on...

and what exactly is your problem with autobackup - your files are not included in backup? or your skin is not restored / doesn't work after reflash?

Re: Skin backup #13 serch826

• 73 posts

Neutral

Posted 28 September 2018 - 16:29

sure I did, I used to use own modified skin (until finally lost desire to continuously  maintain it to get it in sync with image development anymore ;))
worked for me without problems, after reflash the box always started with my own skin on...

and what exactly is your problem with autobackup - your files are not included in backup? or your skin is not restored / doesn't work after reflash?

Okay, thanks, what i did was to open the advanced backup, select files to backup and selected those files in enigma2, share, etc but they overwrites after new image flashing.

Maybe you did this in other ways.

Thanks!

Re: Skin backup #14 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,070 posts

+257
Excellent

Posted 28 September 2018 - 17:47

This is not possible that a backup is overwritten after a flash! The goal is to use an external device that is untouched when flashing to store de backup, if you store your backup on the internal flash so yes it is flashed.

You can have problem with autobackup if you use different images (multiboot?) on the same STB the latest boot image can overwrite you backup otherwise there is no reasons to lose the backup.

But the autobackup method will not work since your skin add python components so it is not only a pure skin, that's were the problem is, so you need to reinstall it from the ipk.

Re: Skin backup #15 blzr

• PLi® Core member
  • 2,269 posts

+118
Excellent

Posted 28 September 2018 - 18:01

Okay, thanks, what i did was to open the advanced backup, select files to backup and selected those files in enigma2, share, etc but they overwrites after new image flashing.

Maybe you did this in other ways.

Thanks!

to make sure, mentioned 'advanced backup' == autobackup plugin, yes?

I was doing it it exactly as I described in my post: selected folder of my skin + skin's converters and renderers for autobackup, created backup  (autmomaticaly in my case), then after reflash when I selected to restore settings from backup, my skin was also restored, as default and box started with it on...

some screenshots attached, may help possibly (?)

Attached Files

Re: Skin backup #16 blzr

• PLi® Core member
  • 2,269 posts

+118
Excellent

Posted 28 September 2018 - 18:10

But the autobackup method will not work since your skin add python components so it is not only a pure skin, that's were the problem is, so you need to reinstall it from the ipk.

and why's that?

unless the ipk package includes some preinstall script, that's another story...

Re: Skin backup #17 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,070 posts

+257
Excellent

Posted 28 September 2018 - 18:48

Read the thread he already try just to restore the skin in its location and it was not working! So autobackup won't do a better job.

The skin seems to add some python (probably some renderers) so yes you can backup those files too, but you have to know which ones, and if he decides to backup all the whole renderers folder there is a risk to restore "old" renderers if they are updated by the image.

Re: Skin backup #18 blzr

• PLi® Core member
  • 2,269 posts

+118
Excellent

Posted 28 September 2018 - 18:55

well, I already wrote in my first post in this thread:

@serch826
[add to autobackup] probably also some its own specific converters/renderers (you'd need to look into your skin package structure, to make sure what it exactly consists), and mark them all to be backed up (yellow)> save (green)

if he does that, it'll probably work (as worked for me...)

Re: Skin backup #19 serch826

• 73 posts

Neutral

Posted 28 September 2018 - 19:02

This is not possible that a backup is overwritten after a flash! The goal is to use an external device that is untouched when flashing to store de backup, if you store your backup on the internal flash so yes it is flashed.

You can have problem with autobackup if you use different images (multiboot?) on the same STB the latest boot image can overwrite you backup otherwise there is no reasons to lose the backup.

Hi, yes, i use autobackup plugin and of course those files will be overwritten, so the only way is to run my script after each new image flash or to have the skin in the Pli feeds.

Thanks.

Edited by serch826, 28 September 2018 - 19:05.

Re: Skin backup #20 blzr

• PLi® Core member
  • 2,269 posts

+118
Excellent

Posted 28 September 2018 - 19:11

which exactly files will be overwritten and when?
autobackup restores files/folders after flashing, so actually backed up files overwrite original image files and not other way around (?)
(unless you have your backup stored in flash, which makes little sense... ;))

---
and maybe you can post your skin ipk here, so that we can possibly better know what we are talking about?

Edited by blzr, 28 September 2018 - 19:17.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: skin, backup vu+

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users