Sound not working

AC3 AAC No sound No Sound

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 waara

• 9 posts

Neutral

Posted 9 October 2018 - 16:03

I have been using OpenPli 6.1 in a VU+ Duo since a couple of months. Works perfectly.
Recently (some five days ago) i made a small change in the Audio settings. I changed AC3 and AAC downmixing to off (both were on) in order to get 5.1 surround in my SONOS surround system instead of downmixed Stereo.

Initially it worked perfectly, but the next day when I switched on the VU+ I noticed that the sound was gone. Dead silence on ALL Sat-channels. I spent some four hours trouble shooting with no success. Reboot, etc etc.
By mistake I unplugged the HDMI (coming from the VU+) from the TV. When I reinstalled the connector the sound kicked in. Worked as a charm until the next day, when it all started over again. Same fix.

The only thing I've changed are the two settings as above. Has anyone seen this? Is there a work around (other than reverting the downmixing back to were it was before)

Bet regards and cheers!

Roger

Re: Sound not working #2 waara

• 9 posts

Neutral

Posted 10 October 2018 - 08:05

Add on: When I go into sound settings and switch the "AC3 downmixing" to on the sound is back. And this before I have to press the green "Ok" button.  After that I can change settings back to "Off" and getting Surround until next time I switch on the VU+.

Sound to me like a bug..

Re: Sound not working #3 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,046 posts

+256
Excellent

Posted 10 October 2018 - 08:28

First question: is your Sonos equipment capable to decode AC3 and AAC signal?

From what you describe I am not srure it is.  Or the channel you are watching is using AC3+ and your Sonos support AC3 but not AC3+

NO SUPPORT by PM, it is a forum make your question public so everybody can benefit from the question/answer.
If you think that my answer helps you, you can press the up arrow in bottom right of the answer.

Wanna help with OpenPLi Translation? Please read our Wiki Information for translators

Sat: Hotbird 13.0E, Astra 19.2E, Eutelsat5A 5.0W
VU+ Solo 4K: 2*DVB-S2 + 2*DVB-C/T/T2 (used in DVB-C) & Duo 4K: 2*DVB-S2X + DVB-C (FBC)

AB-Com: PULSe 4K 1*DVB-S2X (+ DVB-C/T/T2)
Edision OS Mio 4K: 1*DVB-S2X + 1*DVB-C/T/T2

Re: Sound not working #4 ims

• PLi® Core member
  • 13,609 posts

+211
Excellent

Posted 10 October 2018 - 08:49

From what you describe I am not srure it is.  Or the channel you are watching is using AC3+ and your Sonos support AC3 but not AC3+

But he wrote, that it worked ... and then all channels were without audio.

I do not know SONO ... it is connected to box or to TV ? Cable ?

Kdo nic nedělá, nic nezkazí!

Re: Sound not working #5 ricki

• 571 posts

+3
Neutral

Posted 10 October 2018 - 09:24

But he wrote, that it worked ... and then all channels were without audio.

I do not know SONO ... it is connected to box or to TV ? Cable ?

https://www.sonos.com/en/home

Re: Sound not working #6 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,046 posts

+256
Excellent

Posted 10 October 2018 - 14:32

Problem is that he switched from downmix yes to no downmix I don't think that this is so "dynamic", I suspect that I fact downmixing was still active so he get sound.

After a reboot the STB really start with downmix set to NO so he has no sound because in fact the equipment doesn't decode the audio signal it receives.

But check on the Sonos side because it seems quite restrictive on what it can decode.

NO SUPPORT by PM, it is a forum make your question public so everybody can benefit from the question/answer.
If you think that my answer helps you, you can press the up arrow in bottom right of the answer.

Wanna help with OpenPLi Translation? Please read our Wiki Information for translators

VU+ Solo 4K: 2*DVB-S2 + 2*DVB-C/T/T2 (used in DVB-C) & Duo 4K: 2*DVB-S2X + DVB-C (FBC)

Re: Sound not working #7 ims

• PLi® Core member
  • 13,609 posts

+211
Excellent

Posted 10 October 2018 - 14:57

"I changed AC3 and AAC downmixing to off (both were on) in order to get 5.1 surround in my SONOS surround system instead of downmixed Stereo. Initially it worked perfectly, but the next day when I switched on the VU+ I noticed that the sound was gone"

Re: Sound not working #8 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,046 posts

+256
Excellent

Posted 10 October 2018 - 19:38

Yes that exactly what I say, he turned OFF the AC3 downmix but it doesn't restart the box to be sure it is working after a restart. So I am not 100% sure that the live switch from downmix from ON to OFF is really working, I suspect that in fact the downmix was still active, since downmix is still active he can heard sound.

I also experienced such strange things myself when playing around with this option when connected to an amplifier.

To be sure that the settings is right, proper stop of both amplifier and the STB is better to be sure that at restart everything works as expected.

There is also a parameter to take into account is the ARC (Audio Return Channel) HDMI from TV to his amplifier which can also cause trouble.

Re: Sound not working #9 ims

• PLi® Core member
  • 13,609 posts

+211
Excellent

Posted 10 October 2018 - 20:01

Live switch on/off has effect without reboot/restart... f.eg. into HDMI goes with turned off downmix on my boxes sound on max volume and cannot be controlled with RC (0 or max only).

I am using it for optical SPDI/F to Technics AV receiver only ...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: AC3, AAC, No sound, No Sound

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users