34 replies to this topic

#1 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,046 posts

+256
Excellent

Posted 6 March 2019 - 18:07

Hi,

It is now possible to define the epg.dat location from the GUI by default it is set to /hdd/epg.dat

For my setup I need to change it to:  /media/usb/epg.dat

And this is not possible I am restricted to:  /media/usb/e  whatever I type the last e is replaced by this new letter.

Suggestion, don't you think it will be more user friendly to have a folder browser than having to type the full path in SMS keyboard style.

Do you think also relevant to need to specify the file epg.dat?

I know that in the configuration the setup is:

config.misc.epgcache_filename=/media/usb/epg.dat

With the epd.dat mentionned.

Can you also move the SMS style keyboard down to clear the PiG window?

Regards,

Pr2

NO SUPPORT by PM, it is a forum make your question public so everybody can benefit from the question/answer.
If you think that my answer helps you, you can press the up arrow in bottom right of the answer.

Wanna help with OpenPLi Translation? Please read our Wiki Information for translators

Sat: Hotbird 13.0E, Astra 19.2E, Eutelsat5A 5.0W
VU+ Solo 4K: 2*DVB-S2 + 2*DVB-C/T/T2 (used in DVB-C) & Duo 4K: 2*DVB-S2X + DVB-C (FBC)

AB-Com: PULSe 4K 1*DVB-S2X (+ DVB-C/T/T2)
Edision OS Mio 4K: 1*DVB-S2X + 1*DVB-C/T/T2

Re: epg.dat location path is too short to be properly filled in GUI #2 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,309 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 6 March 2019 - 18:12

+1 :)

Also, I've noticed that although I also use /media/usb, I still get epg.dat files in /media/hdd, at the weirest times, and I don't know what is causing it. The only thing I can think of is autotimer...

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: epg.dat location path is too short to be properly filled in GUI #3 MiLo

• PLi® Core member
  • 14,042 posts

+298
Excellent

Posted 6 March 2019 - 18:40

Maybe /media/usb isn't mounted yet when it checks for a location.

I wonder why people care. The harddisk is a perfect location, it's spinning anyway at boot or shutdown, and most boxes have enough flash to store the EPG power-down backup there if the need arises.

Keep in mind that the epg.dat file is only ever written on shutdown, and only read (and removed) on startup.

Edited by MiLo, 6 March 2019 - 18:43.

Real musicians never die - they just decompose

Re: epg.dat location path is too short to be properly filled in GUI #4 Robinson

• 2,614 posts

+30
Good

Posted 6 March 2019 - 18:44

Is this option new in OpenPLi 7?

ET9000, OpenPLi 4.0, 13E, 19E

HD51, OpenPLi 6.2, 75E - 30W

Re: epg.dat location path is too short to be properly filled in GUI #5 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,309 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 6 March 2019 - 18:59

I wonder why people care. The harddisk is a perfect location, it's spinning anyway at boot or shutdown, and most boxes have enough flash to store the EPG power-down backup there if the need arises.

I have no harddisk, my media/hdd is symlink to /media/net/nas. And on occasion I use the stick (that also contains a backup) to flash+restore other boxes.

Keep in mind that the epg.dat file is only ever written on shutdown, and only read (and removed) on startup.

Appearently not, because mine appears at the weirdest moments (if I can believe the timestamp). Also the EPG sync of the fallback tuner creates it, so it can be copied to the client box.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: epg.dat location path is too short to be properly filled in GUI #6 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,046 posts

+256
Excellent

Posted 6 March 2019 - 19:14

@MiLo,

Same for me there is no possible internal HDD in this box, so no /hdd/ is not a valid location for me in this case.

@WanWizard,

I think that you need to specify the full path and the file, like we saw by default.

So if you just mention /media/usb/ it is wrong so it probably fallback to the default pre defined location which is /hdd/epg.dat

Go and check the value defined in your /etc/enigma2/settings  :-)

@Robinson,

This option is not new but never had a GUI to mention it, so please always need either to install a 3rd party plugin or go and add manually the value in there /etc/enigma2/settings file (I think this is introduced in OpenPLi 7) but so far I never used it from the GUI I always change it by hand in the settings file.

Pr2

NO SUPPORT by PM, it is a forum make your question public so everybody can benefit from the question/answer.
If you think that my answer helps you, you can press the up arrow in bottom right of the answer.

Wanna help with OpenPLi Translation? Please read our Wiki Information for translators

VU+ Solo 4K: 2*DVB-S2 + 2*DVB-C/T/T2 (used in DVB-C) & Duo 4K: 2*DVB-S2X + DVB-C (FBC)

Re: epg.dat location path is too short to be properly filled in GUI #7 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 6 March 2019 - 20:24

Maybe /media/usb isn't mounted yet when it checks for a location.

It becomes very important if you have several receivers running from a shared NFS mount. Have two receivers write/read to/from the same EPG file is guarantee for disaster.

* Wavefrontier T90 with 28E/23E/19E/13E via SCR switches 2 x 2 x 6 user bands
I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: epg.dat location path is too short to be properly filled in GUI #8 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,309 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 6 March 2019 - 21:15

@WanWizard,

I think that you need to specify the full path and the file, like we saw by default.

So if you just mention /media/usb/ it is wrong so it probably fallback to the default pre defined location which is /hdd/epg.dat

Go and check the value defined in your /etc/enigma2/settings 

I've never used the GUI option, I noticed the same as you, that it is there, and it is not very useful like this.

I've been using /media/usb for many years, added directly to the settings file, I know how it works. ;)

It is only recently (last weeks, months?) that I see an epg.dat appear in /media/hdd, every now and then.

Re: epg.dat location path is too short to be properly filled in GUI #9 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,309 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 6 March 2019 - 21:16

It becomes very important if you have several receivers running from a shared NFS mount. Have two receivers write/read to/from the same EPG file is guarantee for disaster.

Which is one of the reasons I don't want it in /media/hdd, as that is my NAS mount.

Re: epg.dat location path is too short to be properly filled in GUI #10 MiLo

• PLi® Core member
  • 14,042 posts

+298
Excellent

Posted 8 March 2019 - 20:35

If you don't have a harddisk, the box should revert to using the internal flash (if there's enough free space), or plainly not saving it at all, which is also a fine solution.

Storing it on NAS is a really bad idea indeed, so don't symlink /hdd to that.

As for sharing with other boxes, it should be simple enough to have the box stream the EPG to another box instead of hacking around with epg.dat files. In its simplest form, just have it write the epg.dat to a socket filedescriptor and have the other box read it from said descriptor. No files, hence no chances of mixing it up.
Real musicians never die - they just decompose

Re: epg.dat location path is too short to be properly filled in GUI #11 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,309 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 8 March 2019 - 21:22

Storing it on NAS is a really bad idea indeed, so don't symlink /hdd to that.

It is even standard functionality, to "mount as hdd", is has been for many years.

Instead, I'd rather have the bug fixed that ignores the path that is configured.

As for sharing with other boxes, it should be simple enough to have the box stream the EPG to another box instead of hacking around with epg.dat files. In its simplest form, just have it write the epg.dat to a socket filedescriptor and have the other box read it from said descriptor. No files, hence no chances of mixing it up.

Form what I understand, Littlesat uses the OWIF API, first on the remote box to save the epg in the epg.dat, then to do a file transfer over HTTP, then use the local Enigma function to import it again.

I'd rather see a more structural solution, but there doesn't seem to be any appetite for a larger redesign project.

Re: epg.dat location path is too short to be properly filled in GUI #12 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,123 posts

+685
Excellent

Posted 8 March 2019 - 22:04

Indeed that is what fallbacktuner is doing now... force to write epg.dar on the server box... the owif does signal when it is ready... transfer the file to the cliënt box and then read the file on the cliënt box.... when we can improve owif to transfer this directly I appreachiate it... personally I think you should not xml import too much epg... when you zap around you usually het sufficiant epg directly from the providers... it were the users that requested to transfer the epg.dat...

Edited by littlesat, 8 March 2019 - 22:06.

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: epg.dat location path is too short to be properly filled in GUI #13 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,046 posts

+256
Excellent

Posted 8 March 2019 - 22:46

French providers usually only sent the current/next EIT EPG so without XMLTV import you nearly have no EPG data available.

And please don't always focus on fallback tuner not that many people are using this feature like you do.  ;)

Re: epg.dat location path is too short to be properly filled in GUI #14 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,123 posts

+685
Excellent

Posted 9 March 2019 - 07:51

Do the French providers not send mhw epg... which we also support?

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: epg.dat location path is too short to be properly filled in GUI #15 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,046 posts

+256
Excellent

Posted 9 March 2019 - 13:50

I think that they are no longer using mhw or the version has changed the current implementation is no longer working. Anyway this is not the problem here.

Re: epg.dat location path is too short to be properly filled in GUI #16 ColinB

• 743 posts

+28
Good

Posted 9 March 2019 - 14:57

Hi,

It is now possible to define the epg.dat location from the GUI by default it is set to /hdd/epg.dat

For my setup I need to change it to:  /media/usb/epg.dat

And this is not possible I am restricted to:  /media/usb/e  whatever I type the last e is replaced by this new letter.

Suggestion, don't you think it will be more user friendly to have a folder browser than having to type the full path in SMS keyboard style.

Do you think also relevant to need to specify the file epg.dat?

I know that in the configuration the setup is:

config.misc.epgcache_filename=/media/usb/epg.dat

With the epd.dat mentionned.

Can you also move the SMS style keyboard down to clear the PiG window?

Regards,

Pr2

EPG Cache Sellector plugin. enigma2-plugin-systemplugins-epgcacheselector

HDD USB & Flash

Xtrend et8000 7.1-Release

2 x 8/1 DiSEqC  30w 13e 19e 23e 28e   

Astrometa USB Tuner Working DVB-T2 now on Kernel 4.10+  ;)

WD10EARX 1TB

Sandisk 32GB USB for AFB, EPG, Picons & Timeshift

ZGemma Star S 7.0-Release

4/1 DiSEqC  30w 13e 19e 28e

Sandisk 8GB USB for AFB, EPG, Picons & Timeshift

LG 49UH610V UHD-HDR

UHF/Cable/Sat

E-Channelizer

Re: epg.dat location path is too short to be properly filled in GUI #17 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,046 posts

+256
Excellent

Posted 9 March 2019 - 15:31

@ColinB,

You no longer need any 3rd party plugin to achieve this now it is include in the standard OpenPLi GUI.

The only problem was the field was defined too short to match full real path.

Pr2

Re: epg.dat location path is too short to be properly filled in GUI #18 ColinB

• 743 posts

+28
Good

Posted 9 March 2019 - 17:05

@ColinB,

You no longer need any 3rd party plugin to achieve this now it is include in the standard OpenPLi GUI.

The only problem was the field was defined too short to match full real path.

Pr2

@Pr2 Thanks for the info. Can you tell me where to find it ?

WD10EARX 1TB

LG 49UH610V UHD-HDR

UHF/Cable/Sat

E-Channelizer

Re: epg.dat location path is too short to be properly filled in GUI #19 mrvica

• 1,218 posts

+80
Good

Posted 9 March 2019 - 17:24

Menu/System/GUI Settings/EPG Settings

Re: epg.dat location path is too short to be properly filled in GUI #20 ColinB

• 743 posts

+28
Good

Posted 9 March 2019 - 17:55

Thanks

Attached File  epg.dat-location.jpg   90.87KB   5 downloads

WD10EARX 1TB

LG 49UH610V UHD-HDR

UHF/Cable/Sat

E-Channelizer

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users