recording remote tuner

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 polkwan

• 97 posts

Neutral

Posted 17 May 2019 - 00:16

Hi there,

I've got in my home network a couple of machines.

The main receiver is equipped with tuners that are accessible from 2 other stb.

I use the build-in remote-tuner functionality through the local network to receive by IP all the channels the main receiver can open.

So far, so good.

However, it seems to be impossible to record anything from that Vu+ Solo through that functionality. No matter if this recording is made on a flash drive inserted into the Solo or on a remote flash drive plugged into the main receiver and mounted in CIFS. In both cases it does only the following :

- A recording is started but remains at 0 Mo.

To conclude I want to make clear that this issue doesn't depend on :

- the image : as I tried both Open PLi 6.2 and 7 for the same result

- the recording ability of the Solo : as I can perfectly record if the signal comes from the internal dvb-s tuner of the Solo.

- my network or my flash drives : as I get it to work perfectly with a dm900, connected and configured as the Solo

- bugged plug-in or exotic extensions : as I've installed none except Oscam...

The only thing I've been told was that only 4K (or HEVC) decoders can manage to record iptv streams.

If this is relevant, why is that so ?

If not, could you let me know what's the problem, exactly ?

Re: [Vu+ Solo] Recordings through remoter tuner won't work #2 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,303 posts

+1,718
Excellent

Posted 17 May 2019 - 00:32

A VU+ Solo doesn't have recording capability out of the box, it is sold as a zapper, not a PVR. You can work around that using the PAU plugin, which you can find in the downloads.

Having said that, some remarks:

• Recording authenticated streams from the internet (i.e. illegal IPTV providers) usually fails, because recording a stream you watch opens a second stream, which is usually not allowed.
  • For in the house, it is more logical to start the recording on the box that has the tuner, instead of the remote box, much more stable. The fallback tuner functionality in 7.1 now also supports remote timers transparently.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: [Vu+ Solo] Recordings through remoter tuner won't work #3 polkwan

• 97 posts

Neutral

Posted 17 May 2019 - 08:40

Thank you for your help, Wan !

As I am in the second case category I agree it would be more logical. However when I watch tv on the Solo, it is much easier to start the recording directly from it. Otherwise, I've got to take a a tablet, computer or smartphone to start it from the webif of the main receiver. Not really handy...

I remember this post mentioning Zero and Solo SE were only zappers : https://forums.openp...em/#entry467798

But I've never read it about the Solo.

I'll try the PAU plugin, thank you for the advice ;)

PS: On my Solo, the OpenPLi 7.0 seems to be a bit heavy for this receiver and I must reboot it quite regularly to have the webif back to life... Is it possible ?

Re: [Vu+ Solo] Recordings through remoter tuner won't work #4 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,303 posts

+1,718
Excellent

Posted 17 May 2019 - 10:36

As I am in the second case category I agree it would be more logical. However when I watch tv on the Solo, it is much easier to start the recording directly from it. Otherwise, I've got to take a a tablet, computer or smartphone to start it from the webif of the main receiver. Not really handy...

Why?

If you watch on the Solo, you can start the recording on the other box with the Solo remote, if you have remote timers enabled with the fallback tuner configuration.

When you watch, press Info, green, set Fallback timer to yes if not already set, press green again, and the recording starts on the remote box. This is new in 7.1.

PS: On my Solo, the OpenPLi 7.0 seems to be a bit heavy for this receiver and I must reboot it quite regularly to have the webif back to life... Is it possible ?

I don't have a Solo, so I can't comment. I haven't experienced this on any box myself, and I use a Zero and a Zgemma H3 in exactly the same way you use your Solo.

But it is an entry-level box, with not a lot of memory, it greatly depends on what you do with it. If you have lots of EPG data, if you have many plugins, if you use HbbTV, if you use IPTV plugins, it is bound to happen.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: [Vu+ Solo] Recordings through remoter tuner won't work #5 polkwan

• 97 posts

Neutral

Posted 17 May 2019 - 11:11

This is new in 7.1.

Thanks for this info, I didn't know about this feature ! It's quite handy, I'll use it !!

It seems to work fine on 7.0 as well :)

However I still get stacked with my issue for using Pause Direct function :/ It leads to the same problem as described for the recordings.

Moreover, I've searched this PAU plugin but I couldn't find it. Is it renamed with another name ?

Do you know if this plugin could fix the issue with Pause Direct feature ?

Re: [Vu+ Solo] Recordings through remoter tuner won't work #6 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,303 posts

+1,718
Excellent

Posted 17 May 2019 - 12:42

Pause starts timeshift,and timeshift is an instant recording. So logical the problem is the same.

I can only reiterate:

• If the source of your stream is from another box, on port 8001 (so it is not a transcoded stream), local recording of the stream should work fine, providing your network is fast enough, has no jitter and is low latency, so it can handle two parallel realtime streams, and the source of the stream can handle the output.
  • If the source of your stream is an illegal IPTV provider on the internet, you can forget recording in most cases, as the providers usually block recording via their authentication checks.

it could be that I am mistaken about the PAU, as I said I've never owned a Solo. It could well be the recording starts, but since no data is coming in, the file size remains 0.

Re: [Vu+ Solo] Recordings through remoter tuner won't work #7 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,046 posts

+256
Excellent

Posted 17 May 2019 - 13:10

I just have a look in our wiki and the VU+ SoloSE is indeed reported as a zapper box (so no recording) while the solo2 is a PVR.

So connect in telnet and type:

opkg update
opkg list | grep -i pau
If the pau is available you should see it there.

NO SUPPORT by PM, it is a forum make your question public so everybody can benefit from the question/answer.
If you think that my answer helps you, you can press the up arrow in bottom right of the answer.

Wanna help with OpenPLi Translation? Please read our Wiki Information for translators

Sat: Hotbird 13.0E, Astra 19.2E, Eutelsat5A 5.0W
VU+ Solo 4K: 2*DVB-S2 + 2*DVB-C/T/T2 (used in DVB-C) & Duo 4K: 2*DVB-S2X + DVB-C (FBC)

AB-Com: PULSe 4K 1*DVB-S2X (+ DVB-C/T/T2)
Edision OS Mio 4K: 1*DVB-S2X + 1*DVB-C/T/T2

Re: [Vu+ Solo] Recordings through remoter tuner won't work #8 polkwan

• 97 posts

Neutral

Posted 21 May 2019 - 23:52

Pause starts timeshift,and timeshift is an instant recording. So logical the problem is the same.

I can only reiterate:

• If the source of your stream is from another box, on port 8001 (so it is not a transcoded stream), local recording of the stream should work fine, providing your network is fast enough, has no jitter and is low latency, so it can handle two parallel realtime streams, and the source of the stream can handle the output.

But I doesn't :/
I mean, it works on a DM900 but not on a Vu+ Solo for instance. And no matter what is the record file output...

I don't mention your second point because this isn't relevant for my case...

Re: [Vu+ Solo] Recordings through remoter tuner won't work #9 polkwan

• 97 posts

Neutral

Posted 21 May 2019 - 23:55

I just have a look in our wiki and the VU+ SoloSE is indeed reported as a zapper box (so no recording) while the solo2 is a PVR.

So connect in telnet and type:

opkg update
opkg list | grep -i pau
If the pau is available you should see it there.

Should I remind you guys that my stb is a simple Solo ? Not a Solo SE or Solo 4K ;)

I did send these commands through Telnet but it doesn't show me this plugin. All it finds are drivers and things related to Hauppauge or to PPP by Paul's...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users