• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ims

• PLi® Core member
  • 13,624 posts

+212
Excellent

Posted 11 June 2019 - 07:54

Today morning - in Dream-explorer plugin I removed whole "movie" directory (placed on usb hdd mounted as /hdd).

Exist some utilities for e2 box (mips32el, but I can plug it to arm too) recovery files in this directory or for recovery this whole directory with all subdirs too ?

Kdo nic nedělá, nic nezkazí!

Re: Recovery deleted direcory #2 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 11 June 2019 - 09:23

from ext2 to ext3 to ext4 it becomes progressively harder to recover files after deletion.

There is a tool though that tries to find and stitch together media files. I'm not too sure it also works for transport streams though. It's called "testdisk" and it has a program called "photorec" with it.

I don't think it's in our OE though.

* Wavefrontier T90 with 28E/23E/19E/13E via SCR switches 2 x 2 x 6 user bands
I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: Recovery deleted direcory #3 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,269 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 11 June 2019 - 10:45

That is the risk of a plugin like "Dream-explorer"... with normal E2 the files are moved to .Trash...

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: Recovery deleted direcory #4 ims

• PLi® Core member
  • 13,624 posts

+212
Excellent

Posted 11 June 2019 - 11:03

No, my target was remove picons (which I installed due somebody ;) ) ... I do not know, why I used movie - too early in the morning for me.

Re: Recovery deleted direcory #5 ims

• PLi® Core member
  • 13,624 posts

+212
Excellent

Posted 11 June 2019 - 12:13

It has no sence with photorec ... thousands and thousands .ts and .mpg files with 12kB-24kB...

Re: Recovery deleted direcory #6 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,269 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 11 June 2019 - 12:32

I prefer for such job to use the console (putty)... you can do an extra check with ls before deleting... With the UI browser an accident does happen too easily.

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: Recovery deleted direcory #7 mrvica

• 1,227 posts

+81
Good

Posted 11 June 2019 - 13:27

there are more recovery tools, give it a try

https://www.ubuntupi...sionals-choice/

Re: Recovery deleted direcory #8 ims

• PLi® Core member
  • 13,624 posts

+212
Excellent

Posted 11 June 2019 - 14:49

I prefer for such job to use the console (putty)... you can do an extra check with ls before deleting... With the UI browser an accident does happen too easily.

I see, how I starting putty from bed ;)

It was overwhelming. Instead delete on 'movie' I press it one directory botton - on 'movie'. And with confirmation ! Well, the box has 1TB free space again.

there are more recovery tools, give it a try

https://www.ubuntupi...sionals-choice/

Thx, but all this softs are more/less for corrupted filesystem etc. I have not corrupted filesystem, I used standard remove directory... and it seems, it is big problem under ext3/4.

Re: Recovery deleted direcory #9 40H3X

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Contributor
  • 5,794 posts

+187
Excellent

Posted 11 June 2019 - 17:47

You could look at "photorec" in combination with "foremost"  both are native in the Kali Linux distro

https://www.cgsecuri...S_with_TestDisk

https://www.cgsecuri...g/wiki/PhotoRec

...and there are solutions when you move the USB over to Windows https://www.easeus.c...-ext3-drive.htm

Edited by 40H3X, 11 June 2019 - 17:48.

Hardware: Vu+ Uno 4K SE - Vu+ Duo 4K  - Fuba 78 cm - Tripleblock LNB Quad 19.2/23.5/28.2 - DS918+
Software : OpenPLi - OSCam - Settings van Hans - Autotimer - EPGImport

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember: Upvote with the rep_up.png button for any user/post you find to be helpful, informative, or deserving of recognition!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki

Note: I do not provide support via PM !.

Re: Recovery deleted direcory #10 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 14 June 2019 - 09:44

Bottom line is that the more advanced a file system becomes, the less remains of a deleted file. Compare to FAT where only one bit is toggled in the FAT entry so very easy to undelete. With ext2 is still was more less possible, ext3 less and with ext4 it's simply impossible.

It would be nice if the file system itself would have a feature to support salvaging of deleted files (like Novell did), instead of relying on design flaws (FAT...). So it would not touch any data or metadata used by now deleted files until there are no more really free block and then start recycling the ones deleted longest ago.

Or use a NAS that does support snapshot backups  ;) AFAIK BTRFS also supports something like that.

* Wavefrontier T90 with 28E/23E/19E/13E via SCR switches 2 x 2 x 6 user bands
I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: Recovery deleted direcory #11 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,588 posts

+1,738
Excellent

Posted 14 June 2019 - 15:43

Same with XFS and ZFS. Snapshots, but no undelete facitity.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users