Photo

youtube TV app (new way to watch) picture issue!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 fankoosh

• 198 posts

+6
Neutral

Posted 28 June 2019 - 16:08

Hi , i have latest openpli 7.1 installed on my box vu+solo SE , the new look & new way with youtube TV app integrated into the image is very nice

but unfortunatly  i tried hard to get picture of the video & all what i cant get is only sound! , what do i have to install or to get ? , to solve this problem

thanx pli team

Edited by fankoosh, 28 June 2019 - 16:09.

Re: youtube TV app (new way to watch) picture issue! #2 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,070 posts

+257
Excellent

Posted 29 June 2019 - 10:03

Hi,

Broadcom drop support in there drivers for VP9 video format, the one used by YouTube.

So you get sound but no picture.

Pr2

NO SUPPORT by PM, it is a forum make your question public so everybody can benefit from the question/answer.
If you think that my answer helps you, you can press the up arrow in bottom right of the answer.

Wanna help with OpenPLi Translation? Please read our Wiki Information for translators

Sat: Hotbird 13.0E, Astra 19.2E, Eutelsat5A 5.0W
VU+ Solo 4K: 2*DVB-S2 + 2*DVB-C/T/T2 (used in DVB-C) & Duo 4K: 2*DVB-S2X + DVB-C (FBC)

AB-Com: PULSe 4K 1*DVB-S2X (+ DVB-C/T/T2)
Edision OS Mio 4K: 1*DVB-S2X + 1*DVB-C/T/T2

Re: youtube TV app (new way to watch) picture issue! #3 fankoosh

• 198 posts

+6
Neutral

Posted 29 June 2019 - 20:59

thanx for reply so which chipset of vuplus support vp9 , does the latest 4k stbs ( vu solo 4k & 4k se & zero 4k ) support VP9 video format? or not ? & which latest stb now support VP9 video format?

Re: youtube TV app (new way to watch) picture issue! #4 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,528 posts

+1,736
Excellent

Posted 29 June 2019 - 21:32

The chipset isn't the problem, Broadcom, the manifacturer of the SoC, has removed the support from the SDK, so it can't be included in the drivers anymore. Other manufacturers will have the same problem when they want to release updated drivers.

The only thing you can do is manually install older drivers, and hope that works and doesn't introduces other issues...

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: youtube TV app (new way to watch) picture issue! #5 A.A.

• 391 posts

+8
Neutral

Posted 1 July 2019 - 13:18

The chipset isn't the problem, Broadcom, the manifacturer of the SoC, has removed the support from the SDK, so it can't be included in the drivers anymore. Other manufacturers will have the same problem when they want to release updated drivers.

The only thing you can do is manually install older drivers, and hope that works and doesn't introduces other issues...

Hello WanWizard,

I tried to search online to find this information but I only found that Broadcom was one of the supporters of VP9...what happened? Did they withdraw? Do you know the reasons (a mistake I hope... : )

Heh, I guess at vuplus they did not yet aknowledge it...there is an open issue since 2018 on their 'github-bugtracker' [1] but nobody replied.

Cheers

A.A.

[1] https://github.com/v...uplus/issues/56

Re: youtube TV app (new way to watch) picture issue! #6 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,528 posts

+1,736
Excellent

Posted 1 July 2019 - 14:09

No clue what happened, the only thing we know is that the current version of the SDK no longer supports it, so new drivers will no longer have that support.

We don't have access to the SDK or contact with Broadcom, that is all under very heavy NDA.

And I doubt VU+ ever looks at that github account, they don't use it for development, it only contains the BSP they make for us.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: youtube TV app (new way to watch) picture issue! #7 A.A.

• 391 posts

+8
Neutral

Posted 2 July 2019 - 12:20

No clue what happened, the only thing we know is that the current version of the SDK no longer supports it, so new drivers will no longer have that support.

We don't have access to the SDK or contact with Broadcom, that is all under very heavy NDA.

And I doubt VU+ ever looks at that github account, they don't use it for development, it only contains the BSP they make for us.

Ah, ok, the typical story-ending with closed-source drivers....they get unmaintained, then obsoleted and finally bitrot comes. Sadly.

About vuplus. I have no words anymore...just very little hopes.

Cheers

A.A.

Re: youtube TV app (new way to watch) picture issue! #8 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,250 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 2 July 2019 - 12:24

It looks more that broadcom did not (want to) pay youtube for vp9 licenses... so they had to stop vp9 support.

The solution is watch youtube via your smart TV, AppleTV or Google Chrome device. This will 'always' work without hacking and ton times per year adapting youtube plugin when youtube make changes to their security stuff...

Edited by littlesat, 2 July 2019 - 12:26.

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: youtube TV app (new way to watch) picture issue! #9 A.A.

• 391 posts

+8
Neutral

Posted 3 July 2019 - 09:32

It looks more that broadcom did not (want to) pay youtube for vp9 licenses... so they had to stop vp9 support.

The solution is watch youtube via your smart TV, AppleTV or Google Chrome device. This will 'always' work without hacking and ton times per year adapting youtube plugin when youtube make changes to their security stuff...

Doh, I naively thought it was royalty-free (thus preferred to say H.265 / HEVC)

https://www.webmproject.org/license/

https://www.webmproj.../faq/#licensing

Note the enigma2 youtube plugin does display videos of Youtube...simple enough.

Or you can install kodilite on OpenPLi and use the addons.

Anyway, for the initial poster info, iirc last drivers working with Youtube-App where at the 6.0-rc epoch.

Somehow, very seldom, the Youtube-App videos do play...I can't say why...normally you only see one frame on the fb when exiting the app.

Cheers

A.A.

Re: youtube TV app (new way to watch) picture issue! #10 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,250 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 3 July 2019 - 09:50

vp9 is needed for 4K youtube... the non 4K video's should not be involved...

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users