Openpli 7.0-rc VuZero - Create an image backup from telnet

• Please log in to reply
Er zijn 18 reacties in dit onderwerp

#1 fced

• 75 berichten

Neutral

Geplaatst op 10 juli 2019 - 01:11

Hello, 

I would want to install Openpli 7.0 (or 7.1) stable version, but before I would like to create a backup image, in case of problem...

I tried to download and install Backupsuite 8.0, and automatic fullbackup 5.6 installation worked with those versions, but not with more recent versions, anyway the backup failed each time with both of them...

On my old Openpli v6 it worked perfectly but on Openpli 7.0-rc it don't work, I get an error : NO MKFS.UBIFS FOUND, ABORTING.

I get almost the same error with Backupsuite and automatic fullbackup ..

Is is possible to solve this error, of to create an image backup with telnet (to reinstall it in case of problem) 

Any idea please ? 

Thanks

Ced

Re: Openpli 7.0-rc VuZero - Create an image backup from telnet #2 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68309 berichten

+1719
Excellent

Geplaatst op 10 juli 2019 - 14:10

It isn't installed by default, so appearently the dependencies of these tools are not ok.

Did you download them from the feed, or did you get them from somewhere else?

You can manually fix it via

opkg install mtd-utils-ubifs

or use software management on the box to install it.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Openpli 7.0-rc VuZero - Create an image backup from telnet #3 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68309 berichten

+1719
Excellent

Geplaatst op 10 juli 2019 - 14:15

Oh, wait, 7.0-rc.

You should never install an rc version other than for test purposes. The problem you have is that it can't install the dependencies because the rc is no longer online, we remove test versions immediately after the test period is finished.

You could try:

cd /tmp
wget http://downloads.openpli.org/feeds/openpli-7-release/mips32el/mtd-utils-ubifs_2.0.0-r0.5_mips32el.ipk
opkg install mtd-utils-ubifs_2.0.0-r0.5_mips32el.ipk

and hope it is still compatible.

But if you haven't installed anything outside the feeds, or packages that create local data (like a bittorrent client for example), all you need is an autobackup.

Plug in a USB stick, and flash 7.1-release using the Flash Image in the menu, and choose to make a backup before flashing.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: Openpli 7.0-rc VuZero - Create an image backup from telnet #4 fced

• 75 berichten

Neutral

Geplaatst op 12 juli 2019 - 00:09

Oh, wait, 7.0-rc.

You should never install an rc version other than for test purposes. The problem you have is that it can't install the dependencies because the rc is no longer online, we remove test versions immediately after the test period is finished.

You could try:

cd /tmp
wget http://downloads.openpli.org/feeds/openpli-7-release/mips32el/mtd-utils-ubifs_2.0.0-r0.5_mips32el.ipk
opkg install mtd-utils-ubifs_2.0.0-r0.5_mips32el.ipk

and hope it is still compatible.

But if you haven't installed anything outside the feeds, or packages that create local data (like a bittorrent client for example), all you need is an autobackup.

Plug in a USB stick, and flash 7.1-release using the Flash Image in the menu, and choose to make a backup before flashing.

Hello, 

Thank You for your answer, 

When you say "and hope it is still compatible", is there a risk to break the actual installation if I install mtd-utils from the link you have provided ? (make the vuzero not starting, or not working anymore) ? or will the Openpli system simply answer an error message like "solution 2 : don't try to install it" if it is not compatible ?

I don't understand what you mean : "Plug in a USB stick, and flash 7.1-release using the Flash Image in the menu, and choose to make a backup before flashing"

To be honest, the last time I installed a Pli image was before pli became Openpli, and I didn't remember a backup system during the installation...

Do you mean there is an automatic OLD image backup procedure during the installation of a NEW image (an Openpli image downloaded from here : https://openpli.org/...oad/vuplus/Zero) ?

If I am correct, I have two plug-ins which are not part of Openpli Feed and this is why I am trying to create an image backup before installing Openpli 7.0/7.1 stable version, in case I can't make things work on the new image...

Thank you very much

Ced

Veranderd door fced, 12 juli 2019 - 00:11

Re: Openpli 7.0-rc VuZero - Create an image backup from telnet #5 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68309 berichten

+1719
Excellent

Geplaatst op 12 juli 2019 - 13:42

When you say "and hope it is still compatible", is there a risk to break the actual installation if I install mtd-utils from the link you have provided ? (make the vuzero not starting, or not working anymore) ? or will the Openpli system simply answer an error message like "solution 2 : don't try to install it" if it is not compatible ?

If it is not compatible anymore, it will either refuse to install, or you will get an error message when you try to make the backup. It won't influence the working of the box itself.

I don't understand what you mean : "Plug in a USB stick, and flash 7.1-release using the Flash Image in the menu, and choose to make a backup before flashing"

To be honest, the last time I installed a Pli image was before pli became Openpli, and I didn't remember a backup system during the installation...

Do you mean there is an automatic OLD image backup procedure during the installation of a NEW image (an Openpli image downloaded from here : https://openpli.org/...oad/vuplus/Zero) ?

Yes.

Insert a USB stick with at least 300MB free space.

Go in the menu to: Setup - Flash image.

It will show you the images that are available to you. Open "7.1-release", and select the first image (the newest). When you do, you are asked if you want to flash with a backup, or without.

Choose "Yes, with backup". It will make a backup of your configuration, your installed plugins and channel lists on the USB stick, download the new image, flash it, and restores the backup after the new image has started.

Note that it will not:

• make a backup of any plugin you installed manually (i.e. downloaded from the internet somewhere). After the flash you will have to install those again.
  • make a backup of data plugins create, for example the transfer status files of the transmission bittorrent client. You need to explicitly tell Autobackup to backup those files too.

Of course, this is only relevant if you use such plugins.

Re: Openpli 7.0-rc VuZero - Create an image backup from telnet #6 fced

• 75 berichten

Neutral

Geplaatst op 13 juli 2019 - 22:08

If it is not compatible anymore, it will either refuse to install, or you will get an error message when you try to make the backup. It won't influence the working of the box itself.

Yes.

Insert a USB stick with at least 300MB free space.

Go in the menu to: Setup - Flash image.

It will show you the images that are available to you. Open "7.1-release", and select the first image (the newest). When you do, you are asked if you want to flash with a backup, or without.

Choose "Yes, with backup". It will make a backup of your configuration, your installed plugins and channel lists on the USB stick, download the new image, flash it, and restores the backup after the new image has started.

Note that it will not:

• make a backup of any plugin you installed manually (i.e. downloaded from the internet somewhere). After the flash you will have to install those again.
  • make a backup of data plugins create, for example the transfer status files of the transmission bittorrent client. You need to explicitly tell Autobackup to backup those files too.

Of course, this is only relevant if you use such plugins.

Thank You Very much, it is much more clear :)

Re: Openpli 7.0-rc VuZero - Create an image backup from telnet #7 fced

• 75 berichten

Neutral

Geplaatst op 13 juli 2019 - 22:20

I tried : wget http://downloads.openpli.org/feeds/openpli-7-release/mips32el/mtd-utils-ubifs_2.0.0-r0.5_mips32el.ipk

but I got an wget error : wget: server returned error: HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found

As you said, the repository is probably no more online.

I googled "mtd-utils-ubifs_2.0.0-r0.5_mips32el.ipk" and found "mtd-utils-ubifs_2.0.0-r0_mips32el.ipk" in a Openpli 6.3 repository.

I tried to install it by telnet, but opkg install returned me an error : "nothing provides libc6 >= 2.28 needed by mtd-utils-ubifs-2.0.0-r0.mips32el"

In the same repository, I can see "libc6_2.28-r0_mips32el.ipk", but I am not sure if it is safe to install it...

Veranderd door fced, 13 juli 2019 - 22:22

Re: Openpli 7.0-rc VuZero - Create an image backup from telnet #8 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68309 berichten

+1719
Excellent

Geplaatst op 14 juli 2019 - 13:43

Sorry, I gave you the wrong link, this is the correct one: http://downloads.ope....0_mips32el.ipk

Re: Openpli 7.0-rc VuZero - Create an image backup from telnet #9 fced

• 75 berichten

Neutral

Geplaatst op 16 juli 2019 - 03:31

Sorry, I gave you the wrong link, this is the correct one: http://downloads.ope....0_mips32el.ipk

Again, Thank you :)

The installation worked perfectly,

I tried then to create my backup, but Autobackup returned me an error : "Nanddump not present"

I tried then Backupsuite which returned also an error : "mkfs.ubifs not in Usr/bin", so I copy-pasted it from /usr/sbin to /usr/bin, restarted, and then the Backupsuite (usb) backup process started.

I tried first on an usb stick Fat32 formatted, the backup completed but I got a lot of errors in the log (something like : ownership can't be attributed errors), can't remember exactly, I assume that backup was not viable.

And now I am trying to create a backup on the USB HDD I am using to record/watch movies (EXT3 - HDD formatted by the vuzero), atm the only thing I see on the screen is :

Creation : root.ubifs

The image backup is completed after 7.58mn, but I got a message in the log, not sure if it mean something for you here :

Ubinize : Volume size was not specified in section "ubifs", assume minimum to fit image "/media/usb/bi/root.ubi"132182016 bytes (126.1MiB) - assuming it expect we specify an limit size to fit the backup in... 

If I understand correctly the backup is viable, am I right ? 

Thank you very much for your help, and your patience :)

Veranderd door fced, 16 juli 2019 - 03:35

Re: Openpli 7.0-rc VuZero - Create an image backup from telnet #10 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68309 berichten

+1719
Excellent

Geplaatst op 16 juli 2019 - 14:26

I have no clue what this all means, Backupsuite is a third-party app, and I've never used it myself. Maybe the author/maintainer can respond here?

Re: Openpli 7.0-rc VuZero - Create an image backup from telnet #11 betacentauri

• PLi® Core member
  • 7185 berichten

+323
Excellent

Geplaatst op 16 juli 2019 - 16:36

I'm not the author....

Which files are created? The backup should at least include a kernel_cfe_auto.bin and a rootfs_cfe_auto.bin.

It could be that kernel file is missing as nanddump is needed to extract the kernel from the nand flash.

Xtrend ET-9200, ET-8000, ET-10000, OpenPliPC on Ubuntu 12.04

Re: Openpli 7.0-rc VuZero - Create an image backup from telnet #12 fced

• 75 berichten

Neutral

Geplaatst op 16 juli 2019 - 17:44

Hello, 

Thank You for your answers, 

On the last backup (done on an Ext4 usb stick / usb hdd), I see two files in (USB -> vuplus-> Zero): 

- kernel_cfe_auto.bin (233,3 mo)

- root_cfe_auto.jffs2 (136,7 mo)

I didn't tried to flash with this image backup yet, but I am a bit surprised by the file sizes, if I am correct, on an openly 7 image (downloaded from openpli.org), root_cfe_auto.bin is 115.3mo

Veranderd door fced, 16 juli 2019 - 17:45

Re: Openpli 7.0-rc VuZero - Create an image backup from telnet #13 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68309 berichten

+1719
Excellent

Geplaatst op 16 juli 2019 - 18:06

To have nanddump available, you need to install http://downloads.ope....0_mips32el.ipk too.

Re: Openpli 7.0-rc VuZero - Create an image backup from telnet #14 betacentauri

• PLi® Core member
  • 7185 berichten

+323
Excellent

Geplaatst op 16 juli 2019 - 18:32

If you mean with mo megabyte, then kernel file is way too big. I guess whole flash memory was dumped.

Re: Openpli 7.0-rc VuZero - Create an image backup from telnet #15 fced

• 75 berichten

Neutral

Geplaatst op 17 juli 2019 - 22:13

If you mean with mo megabyte, then kernel file is way too big. I guess whole flash memory was dumped.

Thank you for your answers, 

Are you meaning I should not try to flash my Vuzero (not a 4k) with this image backup ? 

Re: Openpli 7.0-rc VuZero - Create an image backup from telnet #16 fced

• 75 berichten

Neutral

Geplaatst op 17 juli 2019 - 22:41

To have nanddump available, you need to install http://downloads.ope....0_mips32el.ipk too.

You desserve really your nickname (Enigmawizard would nice too) :)

I installed mtd-utils_2.0.0-r0.0_mips32el.ipk, and after a backup, automatic full backup worked perfectly and produced smaller kernel and root file (seem to be a good sign - at least I hope)

Ps : I attached a Jpg screenshot

Bijgevoegde Bestanden

Veranderd door fced, 17 juli 2019 - 22:42

Re: Openpli 7.0-rc VuZero - Create an image backup from telnet #17 betacentauri

• PLi® Core member
  • 7185 berichten

+323
Excellent

Geplaatst op 18 juli 2019 - 06:05

Now it looks good.

Re: Openpli 7.0-rc VuZero - Create an image backup from telnet #18 fced

• 75 berichten

Neutral

Geplaatst op 7 september 2019 - 22:42

Hello, 

I would like to thank everybody here, I finally got the courage to update to Openpli 7.2, and everything worked perfectly, I restaured my configuration correctly.

Thanks again.

Re: Openpli 7.0-rc VuZero - Create an image backup from telnet #19 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68309 berichten

+1719
Excellent

Geplaatst op 7 september 2019 - 22:57

7.2 ? That version doesn't exist yet?

1 gebruiker(s) lezen dit onderwerp

0 leden, 1 bezoekers, 0 anonieme gebruikers