Photo

How to know what is the chipset of a WIFI key and get the driver ?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 sjlouis

• 1,538 posts

+3
Neutral

Posted 24 July 2019 - 14:17

Hi,

I want to use a WIFI key on my old Xtrend ET9100 to connect it to my smartphone when I'm not at home. I've seen a lot of WIFI keys on Amazon which can be used on Linux.

Then is it sufficient to use the driver on the CD which is sold with the key? Or should I know the chipset? I don't know what is the chipset when I read the ad and I don't find it on Internet.

Thank you :) .

Vu+ Ultimo 4K - OpenPli 8.3

Xtrend ET9200 - OpenPli 6.2

Re: How to know what is the chipset of a WIFI key and get the driver ? #2 Trial

• 1,127 posts

+34
Good

Posted 24 July 2019 - 15:09

Hi,

you need the chipset and then ask a STB community if there is a driver for this chip. You can throw CD in a dustbin as it is useless for use with an STB.

ciao

Re: How to know what is the chipset of a WIFI key and get the driver ? #3 sjlouis

• 1,538 posts

+3
Neutral

Posted 24 July 2019 - 15:38

Yes but I've explained I don't know how to find what is the chipset of the key. When I read the characteristics of the key, it's not indicated and when I search the key on Internet, I don't find the chipset.

And I can copy the CD driver file in the CD with a PC ;) .

Re: How to know what is the chipset of a WIFI key and get the driver ? #4 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,301 posts

+1,718
Excellent

Posted 24 July 2019 - 16:00

There is no suitable driver on the CD, even if if says it has linux support.

If you have the stick, you can plug it in and research the USB id (via lsusb), if you don't, it's Google I'm afraid...

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: How to know what is the chipset of a WIFI key and get the driver ? #5 sjlouis

• 1,538 posts

+3
Neutral

Posted 24 July 2019 - 16:04

Yes I've found for lsusb but it's more convenient to buy the key if I'm sure I can get a driver ;) .

Re: How to know what is the chipset of a WIFI key and get the driver ? #6 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,301 posts

+1,718
Excellent

Posted 24 July 2019 - 16:32

I understand that, but that means you have to ask Google.

If possible, make sure you get a chipset that has kernel support (which rules out most cheap Realtek's).

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: How to know what is the chipset of a WIFI key and get the driver ? #7 sjlouis

• 1,538 posts

+3
Neutral

Posted 24 July 2019 - 17:05

OK, thank you and how can I know which are the chipsets which have kernel support ? I'm not used with these devices.

Re: How to know what is the chipset of a WIFI key and get the driver ? #8 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,301 posts

+1,718
Excellent

Posted 24 July 2019 - 17:30

Using the Linux Kernel Driver Database: https://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/

Say you have a "Realtek RTL8821AE/RTL8812AE Wireless Network Adapter". Open the "R" index (from RTL8821AE), and you'll see it is available in the following kernel versions: 3.18–3.19, 4.0–4.20, 5.0–5.2, 5.3-rc+HEAD.

You can find the version of the kernel on your box in menu - info - about.

Re: How to know what is the chipset of a WIFI key and get the driver ? #9 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,046 posts

+256
Excellent

Posted 24 July 2019 - 17:49

Hi,

You don't need to purchase a Wifi key to connect to your ET9100 when you are not at home (which is by the way a very bad idea since you will open up your (obsolete) receiver to the Internet which is still running an older kernel).

So why do you think you need to insert a WiFi dongle to connect to it with your smartphone?

Pr2

NO SUPPORT by PM, it is a forum make your question public so everybody can benefit from the question/answer.
If you think that my answer helps you, you can press the up arrow in bottom right of the answer.

Wanna help with OpenPLi Translation? Please read our Wiki Information for translators

Sat: Hotbird 13.0E, Astra 19.2E, Eutelsat5A 5.0W
VU+ Solo 4K: 2*DVB-S2 + 2*DVB-C/T/T2 (used in DVB-C) & Duo 4K: 2*DVB-S2X + DVB-C (FBC)

AB-Com: PULSe 4K 1*DVB-S2X (+ DVB-C/T/T2)
Edision OS Mio 4K: 1*DVB-S2X + 1*DVB-C/T/T2

Re: How to know what is the chipset of a WIFI key and get the driver ? #10 sjlouis

• 1,538 posts

+3
Neutral

Posted 24 July 2019 - 21:00

Thank you WanWizard :P .

Pr2, the Vu+ will stay at home (~Bordeaux) and will continue to record and I shall take the Et9000 to my new second house in Anglet (it's another town WanWizard) where I have no Internet box.Then I tried to use the smartphone and it works with my Androïd Ziddo box and the Vu+ which have WIFI. Then I thought it will be a good idea to use the Et9100 to see recorded movies (on the Vu+) and to record TNT but I need to connect it to Internet to get the EPG.

I tried to connect my smartphone with an USB cable but I couldn't make it work as I can do it with a Windows PC.

Re: How to know what is the chipset of a WIFI key and get the driver ? #11 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,301 posts

+1,718
Excellent

Posted 24 July 2019 - 21:23

I'm not entirely off this world, although some people seem to think so... ;) Anglet, near Biarritz?

Re: How to know what is the chipset of a WIFI key and get the driver ? #12 sjlouis

• 1,538 posts

+3
Neutral

Posted 24 July 2019 - 22:13

Yes my wife is from Biarritz and me from Bayonne but we found a job in Bordeaux when we were young ;) .

What do you want to say with your sentence? Sometimes you think about your old life in France :P ?

Re: How to know what is the chipset of a WIFI key and get the driver ? #13 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,301 posts

+1,718
Excellent

Posted 24 July 2019 - 22:36

Unfortunately never lived there. Spent quite a bit of time in Paris (Nanterre), when I worked for Alcatal Global Projects.

Wouldn't mind retiring there, if not for my awful French. :) ;) But, we're going of-topic...

Re: How to know what is the chipset of a WIFI key and get the driver ? #14 sjlouis

• 1,538 posts

+3
Neutral

Posted 25 July 2019 - 08:22

OK, it's off-topic but it's MY topic ;) . If you live in France, you will improve a lot your French. I'm very bad in  foreign languages but when I staid a month in Bogota, I began to speak a little in Spanish :) .

Re: How to know what is the chipset of a WIFI key and get the driver ? #15 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,046 posts

+256
Excellent

Posted 25 July 2019 - 08:52

OK thanks for the clarification, so you will physically move your ET9000 box to your new house where you have no Internet.

The WiFi stick is then to connect it to your smartphone which is turned into an Access Point.

But if the goal is just to get the EPG, I think that you don't need to it connected to the Internet.  I think that TNT will broadcast the EPG in EIT format and that you can get several days EPG from the DVB-T tuner.

But if you really need to connect it to WiFi the easiest and more reliable way is to connect its ethernet to a router that support WiFi client.

Like for exemple:

https://www.tp-link....um=select-local

So you don't have to bother about Wifi stick chipset version, linux kernel and drivers on your ET9000.

You configure the router box into WiFi Client mode, then you connect it to your smartphone, and you simply plug and ethernet cable into your ET9000 and this router.

Pr2

NO SUPPORT by PM, it is a forum make your question public so everybody can benefit from the question/answer.
If you think that my answer helps you, you can press the up arrow in bottom right of the answer.

Wanna help with OpenPLi Translation? Please read our Wiki Information for translators

VU+ Solo 4K: 2*DVB-S2 + 2*DVB-C/T/T2 (used in DVB-C) & Duo 4K: 2*DVB-S2X + DVB-C (FBC)

Re: How to know what is the chipset of a WIFI key and get the driver ? #16 sjlouis

• 1,538 posts

+3
Neutral

Posted 25 July 2019 - 09:36

Yes, it's a very good idea :P  ! It will be more easier. Thank you very much.

Can all the Wifi router transmit the signal of a smartphone?

For example, theTP-Link Archer C50 and theTP-Link TL-WR902AC can do it?

https://www.topachat...ns_est_ASC.html

Thank you :)  .

Re: How to know what is the chipset of a WIFI key and get the driver ? #17 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,301 posts

+1,718
Excellent

Posted 25 July 2019 - 10:39

OK, it's off-topic but it's MY topic ;) . If you live in France, you will improve a lot your French. I'm very bad in  foreign languages but when I staid a month in Bogota, I began to speak a little in Spanish :) .

True. Given the way Brexit is going at the moment, I might have to soon... ;)

Re: How to know what is the chipset of a WIFI key and get the driver ? #18 sjlouis

• 1,538 posts

+3
Neutral

Posted 25 July 2019 - 10:44

Why? You works in England now?

Re: How to know what is the chipset of a WIFI key and get the driver ? #19 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,301 posts

+1,718
Excellent

Posted 25 July 2019 - 10:53

Not "now", I've been here (on and off, depending on work) since 1999.

Re: How to know what is the chipset of a WIFI key and get the driver ? #20 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,046 posts

+256
Excellent

Posted 25 July 2019 - 10:54

Yes, it's a very good idea :P  ! It will be more easier. Thank you very much.

Can all the Wifi router transmit the signal of a smartphone?

For example, theTP-Link Archer C50 and theTP-Link TL-WR902AC can do it?

https://www.topachat...ns_est_ASC.html

Thank you :)  .

You need to look at the specification of the router and choose one that can act as a client rather than being an Access Point.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users