Photo

Recoding when programme changed time/rescheduled

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mjray

• 61 posts

Neutral

Posted 11 September 2019 - 14:56

Apologies if I've missed this. If so, please point me at a link. I'm surprised it's not a FAQ.

Sometimes live events mean programmes do not start or end at the published time. I understand some channels broadcast VPS but it seems that on most UK broadcasts, DVB events to update the "now and next" display in the infobar are used to start/stop recordings instead. This may be called "Accurate Recording".

In OpenPLi, I can only find how to set either time-based recordings or use the VPS plugin. This means late-rescheduled shows get recorded in part or missed completely. Is there any way to link recording start/stop to the DVB event instead?

I'm OK with several programming languages so I don't mind installing or trying to modify plugins but I'm not great at cross-compiling and it seems like this might need fields/data adding to the timer settings which I'm not entirely sure how to do but I guess I could look at the VPS plugin for hints.

Edited by mjray, 11 September 2019 - 14:56.

Re: Recoding when programme changed time/rescheduled #2 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,309 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 11 September 2019 - 15:26

The UI is completely written in python, so co compilation needed. Just install the enigma-src package to get the python source on the box.

If you change something, you need to restart Enigma to make your changes active, as python caches the code once it's loaded.

You'll probably have to think about your design first, are you going to poll based on timers? check when epg data comes in (this is c++ btw, so that does requires compilation)? something else?

Also think about the fact that you're programming in a real-time system, if you create something that locks the mainloop, you'll get a spinner and enigma will freeze while it is locked...

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Recoding when programme changed time/rescheduled #3 betacentauri

• PLi® Core member
  • 7,185 posts

+323
Excellent

Posted 11 September 2019 - 15:38

I fear that there is no solution which always works. VPS like in good old times were nice, but afaik not all channels use PCD (the successor of VPS for digital transmission). In some cases you can use now/next informations(if available!), but I doubt that they are always accurate.

Xtrend ET-9200, ET-8000, ET-10000, OpenPliPC on Ubuntu 12.04

Re: Recoding when programme changed time/rescheduled #4 mjray

• 61 posts

Neutral

Posted 11 September 2019 - 16:51

I fear that there is no solution which always works. VPS like in good old times were nice, but afaik not all channels use PCD (the successor of VPS for digital transmission). In some cases you can use now/next informations(if available!), but I doubt that they are always accurate.

No I realise it won't always work so it would need to be a toggle switch like VPS (which I thought was what is now used instead of PDC which was teletext/ceefax). I hope that for UK channels claiming "Accurate Recording" that the now/next changes will be close enough - presumably something is already noted from this to put the orange programme start marks in the recordings? (You know, the things I can skip to with <> when watching recordings.)

So just to confirm, there is nothing like this already implemented for timers?

Re: Recoding when programme changed time/rescheduled #5 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,309 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 11 September 2019 - 17:00

So just to confirm, there is nothing like this already implemented for timers?

No, there isn't.

If EPG is accurate, you could have autotimer run on a regular basis, which will update timers if the time changes. As of 7.2-release, there will be support for OpenTV ( = SKY ) EPG, so you could pull updates in on an hourly basis for example.

Personally, I've never had this issue, the UK channels are one of the most accurate I've ever seen, in Belgium it is quite common programmes being 30-60 minutes off... I always record a bit more, before and after, and use the cut editor to cut it to size if I want to keep the recording. If not, I'm usually not bothered, I watch it, and delete it...

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Recoding when programme changed time/rescheduled #6 betacentauri

• PLi® Core member
  • 7,185 posts

+323
Excellent

Posted 11 September 2019 - 17:11

You can look into VPS plugin source code. I guess it uses PDC data, but I don't know that exactly. At least VPS was a signal in the analog transmission. So this is not available anymore.

Using now/next informations for timers is not implemented yet like WanWizard already said.

And yes, afaik the now/next informations are used to create the markers in the recordings.

Edited by betacentauri, 11 September 2019 - 17:12.

Xtrend ET-9200, ET-8000, ET-10000, OpenPliPC on Ubuntu 12.04

Re: Recoding when programme changed time/rescheduled #7 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 13 September 2019 - 15:48

There have been various technical solutions (VPS, PDC, EPG) to this problem that is not technical in nature, so the technical solution will never be satisfactory.

In other words, the broadcasters don't WANT this information to be correct for two reasons:

- it would force them to maintain a tight schedule, as opposed to simply start program B when program A has finished (simple sequential play-out)

- it would allow you to record your program without the commercials, that's definitely something the broadcasters don't want.

Back in 1990's the German public broadcasters had VPS fully running, where your videorecorder would be started exactly at the start of the program and stopped at the end and it would even suspend the recording on interruptions (announcements, commercials). So yes, even then it was technically possible.

As long was the broadcaster remain uncooperative, this will never work as intended.

* Wavefrontier T90 with 28E/23E/19E/13E via SCR switches 2 x 2 x 6 user bands
I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: Recoding when programme changed time/rescheduled #8 mjray

• 61 posts

Neutral

Posted 17 September 2019 - 20:49

There have been various technical solutions (VPS, PDC, EPG) to this problem that is not technical in nature, so the technical solution will never be satisfactory.

In other words, the broadcasters don't WANT this information to be correct for two reasons:

- it would force them to maintain a tight schedule, as opposed to simply start program B when program A has finished (simple sequential play-out)
- it would allow you to record your program without the commercials, that's definitely something the broadcasters don't want.

I don't understand how either of those are true. As long as the broadcaster keeps now/next in sync with the rescheduling (as they do), they can run sloppy schedules; and it won't affect ads either way, as breaks are broadcast under the same title as the programme.

Re: Recoding when programme changed time/rescheduled #9 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 20 September 2019 - 17:55

I am reasoning here as the broadcasters would do, not as a technician would do. Yes, they're reasoning this way. It's silly, yes you're right.

Edited by Erik Slagter, 20 September 2019 - 17:55.

* Wavefrontier T90 with 28E/23E/19E/13E via SCR switches 2 x 2 x 6 user bands
I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users