Photo

Wireless USB Adapter driver installation

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Making

• 15 posts

Neutral

Posted 2 November 2019 - 15:38

I inserted TL-WN821N_V6 USB Wireless USB Adapter.

I downloaded TL-WN821N_V6_Linux.zip driver package, placed it on USB flash disk, inserted into my VU+Zero OpenPLI 7.0 and nothing happened.

In tutorial they red I have to Compile and install the Driver suitable for my environment of my Linux system.

I have no idea how to do that. Is that really so complicated to make the adapter working ?

Re: Wireless USB Adapter driver installation #2 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,309 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 2 November 2019 - 16:39

This is Linux, not Windows.

From what I understand, the TL-WN821N_V6 uses the RTL8192EU chipset, for which is driver is present, but not installed by default.

So start the software manager, go to advanced, package  management, and install the kernel module and (if present) the firmware as well. 

When done, restart the box, and the stick should be detected.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Wireless USB Adapter driver installation #3 Making

• 15 posts

Neutral

Posted 3 November 2019 - 14:48

Thank you for your reply. My problem is I am a complete beginner and I don´t know what the software manager is....

Re: Wireless USB Adapter driver installation #4 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,309 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 3 November 2019 - 15:10

Menu - Plugins, scroll down to Software Management, press Ok to start it. Then select "Advanced options", and "Package Management".

Scroll down, find "kernel-module-8192eu", press ok to install it.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: Wireless USB Adapter driver installation #5 Making

• 15 posts

Neutral

Posted 3 November 2019 - 16:26

In the Package Management installed the "kernel-module-8192eu" succesfully. Restart. My device still not detected. Checked the Package Management and the globe icon is gray again.

Re: Wireless USB Adapter driver installation #6 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,309 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 3 November 2019 - 16:50

If could well be that the driver is too old (or your device too new), so that it doesn't recognize the USB ID of your device.

You can also try the rtl8xxxu multi-device driver, that may be more recent.

Re: Wireless USB Adapter driver installation #7 Making

• 15 posts

Neutral

Posted 3 November 2019 - 17:25

I´d prefer using the software provided by TP-link. But I don´t konw how.

Attached Files

Re: Wireless USB Adapter driver installation #8 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,309 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 3 November 2019 - 18:50

No problem.

Just setup a linux build environment, create a bitbake recipe for the driver software, patch it for the correct kernel if needed, and compile it.

Re: Wireless USB Adapter driver installation #9 Making

• 15 posts

Neutral

Posted 3 November 2019 - 19:14

I´ve crippled one of connectors of my machine, so I´m sending it to the service. Hopefully they will fix both hardware and software.

Thank everyone for their help.

Re: Wireless USB Adapter driver installation #10 rok

• 1 posts

Neutral

Posted 13 November 2019 - 19:54

Testing on VU+ DUO2 box here, with OpenPLI 7.1

I´ve got genuine VU Dual Band Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter. According to Windows Device manager,  it uses rtl8811 family driver.

Driver in OpenPLI 7.1 is not included by default, so you have to log in to your box via telnet/ssh and install it manually.

opkg update
opkg install rtl8812au

Reboot VU box and then you will see new WLAN network adapter in the Settings/Syste/Network menu, just set your SSID and encryption mode.

Works like a charm.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users