Flash Maxytec Multibox 4K SE

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 -M-

• 128 posts

+4
Neutral

Posted 22 December 2019 - 10:19

I notice that for the Maxytec Multibox it is two zip files for OpenPLi 7.2 (recovery_emmc and emmc) on the download page. How are they supposed to be used?

The instruction on the wiki doesn't mention that it is two, but it says "The flashing of the recovery image starts.". Does it mean that it is the recovery that should be flashed? How about the real OpenPLi image?

Re: Flash Maxytec Multibox 4K SE #2 twol

• 442 posts

+15
Neutral

Posted 22 December 2019 - 11:02

recovery is used to set up the "recovery system" on the Maxytec from which you can also install images such OpenPli, switch between E2 and Android (if you have installed the ß Android zip).

The normal image is in the emmc and can be installed by Flash Online, or through the Recovery system  

Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
.........FBC Tuners:
------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
.........DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W)

Octagon sf8008, AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo using Legacy ports on multiswitches
Zgemma H9twin & Zgemma H9 C/S mode into Giga4K

Re: Flash Maxytec Multibox 4K SE #3 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,309 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 22 December 2019 - 12:34

The "recovery image" gives you a multiboot system, not only between E2 and Android, but also between different E2 images, which you can flash either from the boot menu, or from the image.

If you flash the "emmc" image, you don't have multiboot, but only a single image, like with other boxes.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Flash Maxytec Multibox 4K SE #4 Guardian

• 102 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 22 December 2019 - 15:04

Standard the multibox comes with recovery R235 wich has 2 linux partions for E2

Latest recoverij R238 has 4 linux partions for E2 and 1 for Android

Re: Flash Maxytec Multibox 4K SE #5 twol

• 442 posts

+15
Neutral

Posted 22 December 2019 - 15:24

The "recovery image" gives you a multiboot system, not only between E2 and Android, but also between different E2 images, which you can flash either from the boot menu, or from the image.

If you flash the "emmc" image, you don't have multiboot, but only a single image, like with other boxes.

This is a multiboot box and the emmc image contains the kernel and root which can be flashed to one of the partitions

Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
.........FBC Tuners:

Octagon sf8008, AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo using Legacy ports on multiswitches

Re: Flash Maxytec Multibox 4K SE #6 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,309 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 22 December 2019 - 16:26

I don't think we disagree.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: Flash Maxytec Multibox 4K SE #7 -M-

• 128 posts

+4
Neutral

Posted 22 December 2019 - 18:33

I'm little confused, but...

If I with the poweron-reset-usb-flash routine flash the recovery. I will have a multiboot functionality and a bootmenu. How can I reach the bootmenu? In it I suppose I can select what to boot and also flash the different systems.

If I with the poweron-reset-usb-flash routine flash the OpenPLi emmc image. The box will have only OpenPLi. Is this possible, or most the recovery/bootmenu be in the box?

Is it possible to go back from this, by flash recovery? Will Android still be in it?

PS. I will for now, only want to run OpenPLi.

Re: Flash Maxytec Multibox 4K SE #8 twol

• 442 posts

+15
Neutral

Posted 22 December 2019 - 20:09

The amazing technicolour „recovery“ system is enough to confuse anyone ..... zgemma never read the words „keep it simple“ !!

Recovery latest is R298 - power on the receiver an dhold power button on remote until it boots into recovery.

Check version (bottom left if I remember correctly) if R298 throw away any recovery  zip - not needed.

If unfortunate then unzip the recovery zip to a fat32 usb - power off and then insert a paper clip into reset button on left hand side of box - power on  whilst pressing paper clip until you get red led flashing - remove paper clip and wait - it will eventually boot into the recovery system.

From there you can download and install OpenPli:

go to boot menu -> flash online -> select Openpli

Good luck!

once installed forget the recovery system

Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
.........FBC Tuners:

Re: Flash Maxytec Multibox 4K SE #9 -M-

• 128 posts

+4
Neutral

Posted 22 December 2019 - 20:51

Okay, but how about flash only OpenPLi image (remove recovery). Is that possible, or will it destroy something?

PS. Just wonder, maybe best to keep recovery system.

Re: Flash Maxytec Multibox 4K SE #10 mimisiku

• 5,458 posts

+114
Excellent

Posted 22 December 2019 - 21:20

The recovery.emmc.zip needs to installed using the power button+U-boot button. The recovery.emmc.zip needs to be unzipped to a FAT32 formated USB Stick. Pace this USB stick in the USB 2.0 port BEFORE applying power! The recovery.emmc.zip contains the new Multiboot features and is now r311. This destroys nothing (just overrides the previous one)
The emmc.zip must NOT be unzipped! Just place the file on the USB stick. Boot into recovery mode and choose Flash local image...
Met één been in het graf..... Helaas

Re: Flash Maxytec Multibox 4K SE #11 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,309 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 23 December 2019 - 00:11

The question I think is "can I flash the emmc image the regular way, and not use the recovery image or multibooting at all".

Re: Flash Maxytec Multibox 4K SE #12 Frenske

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Core member
  • 27,380 posts

+393
Excellent

Posted 23 December 2019 - 08:32

AFAIK from the introduction of the recovery images flashing of a regular image isn’t possible anymore. But don’t blame me if I’m wrong. ;)

Mijn schotel is een T90 met 10 LNB's. Daarnaast voor de fun nog een draaibaar systeem met een Triax TD 78.

Dreamboxen heb ik niet meer echt actief. Verder heb ik ook nog een een VU+ duo2 met 500Gb harddisk + een VU+ Uno, Zero, Solo 4K, Ultimo 4K, Zero 4K, Uno 4Kse. + ook nog een Xtrend ET7x00. Daarnaast heb ik ook nog diverse andere modellen w.o. een Formuler F4, ET8500, ET7500, Mut@nt 2400HD, Xsarius Fusion HD se en verder nog wel het e.e.a. waarmee op verzoek vanalles wordt getest. Iemand moet het tenslotte doen. ;) :)
Los van de eerder genoemde modellen heb ik nog wel een rits aan testsamples als Mut@nt 2400HD, HD60, GB UE4K, GB Trio4K, Maxitec Multibox combo en Twin, Octagon sf8008, sf8008 mini en last but nog least enkele modellen van het Grieks Duitse Edision.

Voor centrale opslag van media gebruik ik een Qnap 219P 
met tweemaal 2 Tb harddisks + een Synology DS414 met 12 Tb Totale opslag.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Many answers to your question can be found in our wiki: Just one click away from this "solutioncentre".

Als ik alles al wist hoefde ik ook niets te vragen. If I had all the knowledge I had no questions at all.

Re: Flash Maxytec Multibox 4K SE #13 twol

• 442 posts

+15
Neutral

Posted 23 December 2019 - 09:15

The question I think is "can I flash the emmc image the regular way, and not use the recovery image or multibooting at all".The

The „normal“ emmc“ image zip contains a kernel & root, so you can use the normal flash online software to flash one of the partitions on the receiver - its a typical multiboot receiver - and No you cannot change it to a 1 partition receiver.

Once I have an image flashed on any of these receivers with this over -the-top recovery system, I always use the standard facilities in the image (whether its OPenPli, OpenViX or OpenATV) to handle image updates - and if you really want to flip between Enigma and Android (assuming you can find the correct Android image and flash it) you can also do that with Power button menu - it does take you into the recovery menu unfortunately.

Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
.........FBC Tuners:

Re: Flash Maxytec Multibox 4K SE #14 -M-

• 128 posts

+4
Neutral

Posted 23 December 2019 - 15:19

Thanks all for important information. However I don't understand how a normal user can get to know all this, especially without knowing that it is something very special with this box. I will see if I can sum it up (later).

I now learned the important: Use recovery (=multiboot) system in this box.

However one thing I'm not clear with, what is "the normal flash online software"?

PS. Is it any company relationship between Technicolour, Zgemma and Maxytec (or only use one and the same software)?

Re: Flash Maxytec Multibox 4K SE #15 twol

• 442 posts

+15
Neutral

Posted 23 December 2019 - 16:13

“However I don't understand how a normal user can get to know all this, especially without knowing that it is something very special with this box. I will see if I can sum it up (later).“

——> Most images have posts that contain specific receiver information (with both text and visuals) like how to flash “Recovery“ or “Images“ for boxes like the Multibox - otherwise its like trying to solve a crossword puzzle!

“However one thing I'm not clear with, what is "the normal flash online software"?“

————-> From memory in OpenPli if you long press blue button - you get the software options - one of which is flash online.

Edited by twol, 23 December 2019 - 16:13.

Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
.........FBC Tuners:

Re: Flash Maxytec Multibox 4K SE #16 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,309 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 23 December 2019 - 18:04

Menu - Setup - Flash image.

Re: Flash Maxytec Multibox 4K SE #17 FREETESTER

• 17 posts

Neutral

Posted 11 December 2020 - 03:46

I know its an year old topic but I acquired right now the Maxytec Multibox, and have the following questions to all of you guys out there:

Is there a possibility to see the other 3 partitions, during the use of the current ???

If yes, then how ???

Is there a way to format the EEMC memory to work with one partition on root, having for use the whole 8GB ???

Thanks in advance...

Re: Flash Maxytec Multibox 4K SE #18 betacentauri

• PLi® Core member
  • 7,185 posts

+323
Excellent

Posted 11 December 2020 - 09:06

Yes, possible. But only do it if you know what you are doing.
And you need to do it manually via telnet/ssh:
mkdir /tmp/d
mount /dev/mmcblk0p23 /tmp/d
Then you will find up to 4 directories in /tmp/d with the root filesystems in it.

And that’s also the answer to the last question. There is only one partition for all 4 root filesystems. Each root filesystem lies in a sub directory of this partition. Sounds a little bit strange, but with chroot during boot it looks like an own partition.
So all 4 images share the around 7 GB space (the rest is needed for kernel and boot data).
Xtrend ET-9200, ET-8000, ET-10000, OpenPliPC on Ubuntu 12.04

Re: Flash Maxytec Multibox 4K SE #19 FREETESTER

• 17 posts

Neutral

Posted 12 December 2020 - 06:30

MANY MANY THANKS,  betacentauri!
Thanks also for the quick replay!

Now, thanks to you, I can see the "partitions" as you describe:

linuxrootfs1
linuxrootfs2
linuxrootfs3

I guess, the fourth Partition is D: minus the above three, plus the Android one ...

Culd be possible to manipulate the boot loader so that the space for the partitions can be created on a USB instead of the flash where its  created?

If so, how ???

Re: Flash Maxytec Multibox 4K SE #20 betacentauri

• PLi® Core member
  • 7,185 posts

+323
Excellent

Posted 12 December 2020 - 08:36

If you install an image in slot 4 you should see a linuxrootfs4 directory. I’m not sure where Android image is stored. I think it has own partition with fixed size.

Some boxes support partitions on a SD card (like sf8008, but it is not fully supported by OpenPLi). USB should also be possible in theory. The multibox don’t support it or it’s unknown how to do it.
Xtrend ET-9200, ET-8000, ET-10000, OpenPliPC on Ubuntu 12.04

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users