Photo

Is it OK to cascade two sat receivers connected to one rotating dish?

ZGEMMA H9S SE VU+ Duo 4K SE

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 jeandubois

• 293 posts

Neutral

Posted 15 December 2021 - 13:12

I currently have a  VU+ Duo 4K SE with 2 FBC Tuners running OpenPli8.1 connected to a rotating dish with a unicable LNB from Gigablue. Unfortunately it is not possible 

to use blindscan with this configuration. Therefore I have ordered a ZGEMMA H9S SE with which it should be possible to blindscan. I wonder if I can use an FBC tuner out connection

of the VU+ Duo 4K SE and connect that to the antenna input of the ZGEMMA? My goal is to only use the VU+ Duo 4K SE to position the dish (the ZGEMMA should only capture the signal but not control the motor).

I know I could use an extra output on the LNB and bring that with a cable directly to the ZGEMMA but I am not allowed to bring yet another cable in the living rule ;-)

kind regards,

Jean

Re: Is it OK to cascade two sat receivers connected to one rotating dish? #2 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,309 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 15 December 2021 - 13:19

FBC tuners don't have outputs, only inputs.

It if is a unicable LNB, you can use a Unicable compliant splitter (with DC support) to split the cable, connect the Zgemma to it, and assign it a free user band ?

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Is it OK to cascade two sat receivers connected to one rotating dish? #3 Abu Baniaz

• PLi® Contributor
  • 2,414 posts

+61
Good

Posted 15 December 2021 - 13:23

Can you please clarify, does your LNB have a unicable out as well as legacy/universal out?

Re: Is it OK to cascade two sat receivers connected to one rotating dish? #4 jeandubois

• 293 posts

Neutral

Posted 15 December 2021 - 13:38

Can you please clarify, does your LNB have a unicable out as well as legacy/universal out?

Yes, It has but I am not allowed to add an extra cable from the legacy-out to the ZGEMMA H9S SE

kind regards,

Jean

Re: Is it OK to cascade two sat receivers connected to one rotating dish? #5 Dimitrij

• PLi® Core member
  • 9,967 posts

+335
Excellent

Posted 15 December 2021 - 13:43

Blindscan plugin openPLI not support Unicable LNB.

GigaBlue UHD Quad 4K /Lunix3-4K/Solo 4K

Re: Is it OK to cascade two sat receivers connected to one rotating dish? #6 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,309 posts

+1,719
Excellent

Posted 15 December 2021 - 13:46

So that leaves the legacy output and a second cable as the only option.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Is it OK to cascade two sat receivers connected to one rotating dish? #7 jeandubois

• 293 posts

Neutral

Posted 15 December 2021 - 14:04

FBC tuners don't have outputs, only inputs.

>You are right about that.

It if is a unicable LNB, you can use a Unicable compliant splitter (with DC support) to split the cable, connect the Zgemma to it, and assign it a free user band ?

>I have a unicable splitter (950-2150MHz), but I wonder what will happen when the  VU+ Duo 4K SE positions the dish to e.g. 19.2E and the Zgemma accidently gives a command to position it to 28.2E. Should I take out the DC path from the Zgemma to the splitter to avoid this situation?

Edited by jeandubois, 15 December 2021 - 14:09.

Re: Is it OK to cascade two sat receivers connected to one rotating dish? #8 Dimitrij

• PLi® Core member
  • 9,967 posts

+335
Excellent

Posted 15 December 2021 - 14:14

And hardware  blindscan all HiSilicon receivers is complete nonsense.

A receiver with a tuner is required that uses a binary file from the manufacturer.

Edited by Dimitrij, 15 December 2021 - 14:19.

Re: Is it OK to cascade two sat receivers connected to one rotating dish? #9 jeandubois

• 293 posts

Neutral

Posted 15 December 2021 - 14:17

Even though I prefer OpenPli for daily use and I'll keep it certainly on my VU+ Duo 4K SE, do you think there are other images which support blindscan for Unicable LNB?

kind regards,

Jean

Re: Is it OK to cascade two sat receivers connected to one rotating dish? #10 Dimitrij

• PLi® Core member
  • 9,967 posts

+335
Excellent

Posted 15 December 2021 - 14:18

Even though I prefer OpenPli for daily use and I'll keep it certainly on my VU+ Duo 4K SE, do you think there are other images which support blindscan for Unicable LNB?

kind regards,

Jean

Need tested openATV/openViX.

Edited by Dimitrij, 15 December 2021 - 14:18.

Re: Is it OK to cascade two sat receivers connected to one rotating dish? #11 jeandubois

• 293 posts

Neutral

Posted 15 December 2021 - 14:26

And hardware  blindscan all HiSilicon receivers is complete nonsense.

A receiver with a tuner is required that uses a binary file from the manufacturer.

I don't know what you mean by "HiSilicon receivers". Could you comment on this statement I got from another user on the OpenPli-forum:

"Koop een goedkope Zgemma H9SE oid die heeft echte Hardware blindscan aan board, en is razend snel,"

(translation: Buy a cheap Zgemma H9SE or something that has real Hardware blind scan on board, and is very fast,)

kind regards,

Jean

Re: Is it OK to cascade two sat receivers connected to one rotating dish? #12 Dimitrij

• PLi® Core member
  • 9,967 posts

+335
Excellent

Posted 15 December 2021 - 14:34

Ask el bandido

or

Huevos

He is well versed in this.

Edited by Dimitrij, 15 December 2021 - 14:44.

Re: Is it OK to cascade two sat receivers connected to one rotating dish? #13 MCelliotG

• 443 posts

+35
Good

Posted 15 December 2021 - 14:54

Not HiSilicon but Silabs tuners in particular. Gfutures based receivers like HD51 use pure hardware blindscan for Silabs with poor results. On the contrary, SF8008 which is a HiSilicon based receiver uses a binary from the manufacturer which is much better.

Re: Is it OK to cascade two sat receivers connected to one rotating dish? #14 jeandubois

• 293 posts

Neutral

Posted 15 December 2021 - 15:57

Not HiSilicon but Silabs tuners in particular. Gfutures based receivers like HD51 use pure hardware blindscan for Silabs with poor results. On the contrary, SF8008 which is a HiSilicon based receiver uses a binary from the manufacturer which is much better.

And what about the Zgemma H9SE?

kind regards,

Jean

Re: Is it OK to cascade two sat receivers connected to one rotating dish? #15 el bandido

• 360 posts

+13
Neutral

Posted 15 December 2021 - 16:27

The Zgemma H9SE does not seem to have a blindscan binary located in /usr/bin of receiver files. In general, any enigma2 receiver to date that does not have a blindscan binary in /usr/bin will perform poorly in blindscan when compared to other receivers that have a blindscan binary file in /usr/bin.

Edision receiver models osmini4k, osmio4k, and osmio4kplus have a good dvb-s/s2 blindscan. I would suggest one of these models if you need the blindscan feature, or at least select a model that has the blindscan binary located in /usr/bin of receiver files.

Re: Is it OK to cascade two sat receivers connected to one rotating dish? #16 jeandubois

• 293 posts

Neutral

Posted 15 December 2021 - 17:01

The Zgemma H9SE does not seem to have a blindscan binary located in /usr/bin of receiver files. In general, any enigma2 receiver to date that does not have a blindscan binary in /usr/bin will perform poorly in blindscan when compared to other receivers that have a blindscan binary file in /usr/bin.

Edision receiver models osmini4k, osmio4k, and osmio4kplus have a good dvb-s/s2 blindscan. I would suggest one of these models if you need the blindscan feature, or at least select a model that has the blindscan binary located in /usr/bin of receiver files.

Thanks for the reply. So the guy who suggested to me "Buy a cheap Zgemma H9SE or something that has real Hardware blind scan on board, and is very fast" was talking crap?

Re: Is it OK to cascade two sat receivers connected to one rotating dish? #17 Dimitrij

• PLi® Core member
  • 9,967 posts

+335
Excellent

Posted 15 December 2021 - 17:06

So the guy who suggested to me "Buy a cheap Zgemma H9SE or something that has real Hardware blind scan on board, and is very fast" was talking crap?

First, check the blind scan yourself.

Maybe you are satisfied with the result :) .

Re: Is it OK to cascade two sat receivers connected to one rotating dish? #18 jeandubois

• 293 posts

Neutral

Posted 15 December 2021 - 17:46

So the guy who suggested to me "Buy a cheap Zgemma H9SE or something that has real Hardware blind scan on board, and is very fast" was talking crap?

First, check the blind scan yourself.

Maybe you are satisfied with the result :) .

Yes, you are right I'll do that. I just keep wondering about the questions which got a bit lost in the thread:

What will happen  if I'd use a splitter to connect both boxes  when the  VU+ Duo 4K SE positions the dish to e.g. 19.2E and the Zgemma accidently gives a command to position it to 28.2E.

Should I take out the DC path from the Zgemma to the splitter to avoid this situation?

kind regards,

jean

Edited by jeandubois, 15 December 2021 - 17:47.

Re: Is it OK to cascade two sat receivers connected to one rotating dish? #19 Dimitrij

• PLi® Core member
  • 9,967 posts

+335
Excellent

Posted 15 December 2021 - 18:23

Yes, you are right I'll do that. I just keep wondering about the questions which got a bit lost in the thread:

What will happen  if I'd use a splitter to connect both boxes  when the  VU+ Duo 4K SE positions the dish to e.g. 19.2E and the Zgemma accidently gives a command to position it to 28.2E.

Should I take out the DC path from the Zgemma to the splitter to avoid this situation?

Sorry, I haven't researched this question. I have no experience with this setup.

Re: Is it OK to cascade two sat receivers connected to one rotating dish? #20 el bandido

• 360 posts

+13
Neutral

Posted 15 December 2021 - 19:01

In general, splitters should not be used in fta systems. From what you are describing, it will be best to use only one receiver at a time. (One cable = One Receiver)

Edited by el bandido, 15 December 2021 - 19:02.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users