The image won't flash correctly

DM800

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 lassegurra

• 4 posts

Neutral

Posted 8 October 2009 - 13:32

I have a brand new (original) DM800. I have downloaded the newest (20091005-6705) PLi image. I have transfered the image via WebInterface. No proplem. When I restart the box PLi won't flash correctly. The boot-bar in the front display stops after a few minutes (between the two O's in BOOT) and a get the waiting message on the TV screen. It will remain for ever. What can I do????? Please!

Re: The image won't flash correctly #2 pieterg

• PLi® Core member
  • 32,766 posts

+245
Excellent

Posted 8 October 2009 - 13:43

unplug the power a few times, till the boot succeeds.
All 800's have the same thing, some bootloader / driver combinations perhaps more than others, but the problems are the same for everyone.

Re: The image won't flash correctly #3 lassegurra

• 4 posts

Neutral

Posted 10 October 2009 - 09:13

Thanks for the answer, but I think I will get up soon with the PLi image. I have tried more that twenty times with same result. Unplugging the power and back again. Sometimes I get nothing on the front display (think it's normal?), the other times it get stucked at the same spot everytime (on the left side of the second O in "booting..."). Please help me to not give up.

Re: The image won't flash correctly #4 pieterg

• PLi® Core member
  • 32,766 posts

+245
Excellent

Posted 10 October 2009 - 10:04

when that happens, you can probably still login (telnet).
When you do that, you will see that the hostname is '(none)', this means /etc/init.d/bootup has been aborted before the drivers could be loaded.

It usually helps to manually execute /etc/init.d/bootup again (to force the drivers to be loaded, so they can properly configure the hardware), and then reboot.

The problem seems to be that the hardware/registers are in a faulty state, and only loading the drivers fixes that. But that faulty state sometimes causes us never to reach the point where the drivers are loaded.

We've already moved the driver loading moment as early into the boot process as possible, but that's still no guarantee that it's always early enough.

Re: The image won't flash correctly #5 Andulka

• 1 posts

Neutral

Posted 10 October 2009 - 17:37

I met the same problem. In my case what helped, was the unplug of Dream from voltage at least for 1 minute after flashing. Then it boots on first attempt!

Andulka

Re: The image won't flash correctly #6 lassegurra

• 4 posts

Neutral

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:45

I'm sorry to say that, but I have tried also to wait some minute with the power supply but it won't work. When it stops flashing I'm not able to communicate with the box :-(. I have tried Nabilo image with no problem. I think I give up now. It's sad due I really like the PLi image. I run it on my 600.

Does it matter if I use Dreamup insted??? Am I in the same "status" after the transer to the box using Dreamup or WebInterface?

Re: The image won't flash correctly #7 pieterg

• PLi® Core member
  • 32,766 posts

+245
Excellent

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:54

I have no idea what dreamup does, but I assume it uses the same webinterface internally.

Re: The image won't flash correctly #8 jonc

• 2,667 posts

Neutral

Posted 11 October 2009 - 18:49

It does ...
It's a hobby, so mileage varies Tell your friends about our Pli Wiki as it is there to help you - Click here for the PLi Wiki

Re: The image won't flash correctly #9 jonc

• 2,667 posts

Neutral

Posted 11 October 2009 - 20:42

Can one of the other testers please load this PLi-current image and see if this is the same issues as the OP suggests, as if you recall, this is the exact same thing I got with OpenPli and still have, until I flashed back to Jade2.

I have always upgraded by the on-line ipkg method so have not seen these issues...
It's a hobby, so mileage varies Tell your friends about our Pli Wiki as it is there to help you - Click here for the PLi Wiki

Re: The image won't flash correctly #10 pieterg

• PLi® Core member
  • 32,766 posts

+245
Excellent

Posted 11 October 2009 - 21:35

ipkg upgrade also flashes the bootloader, so that shoukd give the same result.

Try to find a dreambox-secondstage_74.ipk, and install it from the console (ipkg install ... -force-downgrade), I'm almost sure that the new #75 is causing the boot problems to be worse than before (as bad as with the very first 800 bootloader versions, when it just came out)

Re: The image won't flash correctly #11 lassegurra

• 4 posts

Neutral

Posted 11 October 2009 - 21:37

Still confused:-) I took a step back and flashed with Jade2 insted (pli-enigma2-jade2-dm800-20090504-6357) and it worked at the first try! Something is mismatching with Jade3!?

Re: The image won't flash correctly #12 hemertje

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Core member
  • 33,471 posts

+118
Excellent

Posted 11 October 2009 - 22:40

see pieterg's answer

please try this

on the Glassfibre 1GB DVB-C...

Re: The image won't flash correctly #13 jonc

• 2,667 posts

Neutral

Posted 12 October 2009 - 03:11

Re-Install Jade3. If you get it to boot, then please try this from shell on your DM800 is what he is saying;

ipkg install dreambox-secondstage_74.ipk -force-downgrade

You can cut and paste this and then press enter and please let us know how you get on.

Re: The image won't flash correctly #14 jonc

• 2,667 posts

Neutral

Posted 12 October 2009 - 07:34

Re-Install Jade3. If you get it to boot, then please try this from shell on your DM800 is what he is saying;

ipkg install dreambox-secondstage_74.ipk -force-downgrade

You can cut and paste this and then press enter and please let us know how you get on.

I just did this and confirm it works perfect once the bootloader is changed (just as well as Jade2 if not quicker even)

Re: The image won't flash correctly #15 pieterg

• PLi® Core member
  • 32,766 posts

+245
Excellent

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:11

Surprised it worked for you just like that?
Are you sure something was installed? (you should see the nfiflash routine output some flashing information while the bootloader is actually updated)

The actual ipk name is
dreambox-secondstage_74-r2_dm800.ipk

Not sure whether it's still in the jade3 feed, but "ipkg install dreambox-secondstage_74-r2_dm800.ipk" will only work if you put the ipk in /tmp, manually.

Without that, you get something like this:

root@dm800 ~ # ipkg install dreambox-secondstage_74-r2_dm800.ipk -force-downgrade
ipkg: dreambox-secondstage_74-r2_dm800.ipk: No such file or directory
Nothing to be done
An error ocurred, return value: 4.
Collected errors:
Cannot find package dreambox-secondstage_74-r2_dm800.ipk.
Check the spelling or perhaps run 'ipkg update'

Re: The image won't flash correctly #16 jonc

• 2,667 posts

Neutral

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:38

ipkg install dreambox-secondstage_74.ipk -force-downgrade the responce after some time (3 minutes or so) is Killed and the box reboots and has been OK ever since.

This command issued from /tmp if that helps.

Re: The image won't flash correctly #17 pieterg

• PLi® Core member
  • 32,766 posts

+245
Excellent

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:47

still wondering where you got that 74, as it's no longer in the feed. I really think the only way to downgrade is to download the ipk from somewhere.

Re: The image won't flash correctly #18 jonc

• 2,667 posts

Neutral

Posted 12 October 2009 - 10:06

Sorry, please disregard all my comments above, as I was very wrong as it did not work at all and as suggested by Pieterg I still have the current version of the boot-loader in my box.

Re: The image won't flash correctly #19 hemertje

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Core member
  • 33,471 posts

+118
Excellent

Posted 12 October 2009 - 11:24

hhmmm at DMM's is only

http://dreamboxupdate.com/opendreambox/1.5/dm800/experimental/dreambox-secondstage_74-r0_dm800.ipk

available

Re: The image won't flash correctly #20 hemertje

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Core member
  • 33,471 posts

+118
Excellent

Posted 13 October 2009 - 18:44

please try the new drivers from the attachment

changes dm800
-------------
* fix completely broken 1080p24/25/30 output (broken since previous drivers)
* fix strange kernel ooopses on flash access (i.e. packages upgrades or install new ipk packages)

changes dm800 and dm8000
------------------------
* fix alps_bsbe2 detection (some NIM modules couldn't be detected since previous drivers)
* small fixes on "no tuner lock" handling .. the min timeout is now 1500 msec
this hopefully fixes "tune failed" problems introduced with previous drivers
* fix frequently stuttering on put out content with 23.976fps and choosed 24fps outputmode (i.e. 1080p24, 720p24)
the same for 29.97fps on 30fps and 59.94 on 60fps

Attached Files

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DM800

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users