Subtitles

DM800

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 ThomasML

• 7 posts

Neutral

Posted 5 January 2010 - 12:28

I'm using the OpenPLI-build from 22nd December w/software updates from yesterday, and I have two questions:
[list]
[*]Why doesn't DVB Subtitles work? Is there anything I can do to find out why, if you know where I should look? (I already have the openpli environment up, and I have compiled my own images for fun and testing)
[*]Is there a way to get subtitles and audio more like the 2SUB-plugin? Choose prefered language on both, and auto-activate always, instead of having to manually select subs for each channel?
[/list]
--
Thomas

Re: Subtitles #2 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 5 January 2010 - 18:13

[*]Why doesn't DVB Subtitles work? Is there anything I can do to find out why, if you know where I should look? (I already have the openpli environment up, and I have compiled my own images for fun and testing)

They do work. You might want to be more specific?

[*]Is there a way to get subtitles and audio more like the 2SUB-plugin? Choose prefered language on both, and auto-activate always, instead of having to manually select subs for each channel?

Enigma already remembers selected subtitles for each channel..

* Wavefrontier T90 with 28E/23E/19E/13E via SCR switches 2 x 2 x 6 user bands
I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: Subtitles #3 pieterg

• PLi® Core member
  • 32,766 posts

+245
Excellent

Posted 5 January 2010 - 18:18

indeed, I think having a setting per channel is better than 1 global setting

Re: Subtitles #4 ThomasML

• 7 posts

Neutral

Posted 5 January 2010 - 23:56

They do work. You might want to be more specific?

They do? I don't get any subtitles on any of my HD channels with OpenPLI, but this works nicely with older images.

Enigma already remembers selected subtitles for each channel..

And if I reboot my DM800 it seems to be all forgotten, so I have to enable it on all channels, once again. Not very user-friendly, much better to have the option of global setting. I'm not saying it should be only global, but I'm saying it should be an option to set globally prefered subs and audio (primary and secondary, so you can choose one or the other).

--
Thomas

Re: Subtitles #5 ThomasML

• 7 posts

Neutral

Posted 5 January 2010 - 23:59

indeed, I think having a setting per channel is better than 1 global setting

As I was stating in another reply, I don't see a need to remove what is there today, but I see a need to add an option to have a global setting for people who prefer that. I know many in the scandinavian countries prefer 2sub just because of this. There you can set primary and secondary language for both subs and audio. It will select primary whenever available, if not, it'll select secondary.

(the only reason for asking about this is because 2Sub doesn't work with OpenPLI, and it's not very much maintained and it's closed source, so it's not easy to recompile against a newer OpenPLI to fix the problem either)

--
Thomas

Re: Subtitles #6 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,269 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 6 January 2010 - 08:47

On which channels do you not see the DVB subtitles and which skin are you using?

Please try our (basic) Magic Skin...

Re: Subtitles #7 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 6 January 2010 - 09:48

They do? I don't get any subtitles on any of my HD channels with OpenPLI, but this works nicely with older images.

Please describe in more detail. Do you get entries for dvb / teletext
subtitles in your subs menu? What channels are we talking about?

And if I reboot my DM800 it seems to be all forgotten, so I have to enable it on all channels, once again. Not very user-friendly, much better to have the option of global setting. I'm not saying it should be only global, but I'm saying it should be an option to set globally prefered subs and audio (primary and secondary, so you can choose one or the other).

You should always use the "restart enigma" or "shutdown" options from
the menu on the box. If you don't, data gets lost. If you simply pull
the plug, all other sorts of havoc will come to you as well.

I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: Subtitles #8 ThomasML

• 7 posts

Neutral

Posted 6 January 2010 - 14:48

On which channels do you not see the DVB subtitles and which skin are you using?

Please try our (basic) Magic Skin...

I don't remember the name of the skin right now, but I think it might be the default HD-skin.

I don't get DVB Subtitles on any HD-channels, but here's a few:
* Animal Planet HD (0.8W)
* Canal+ Film HD (0.8W)
* Nat Geo HD (0.8W)
* Discovery HD (0.8W)

All these have DVB subtitles with older images.

--
Thomas

Re: Subtitles #9 ThomasML

• 7 posts

Neutral

Posted 6 January 2010 - 14:51

Please describe in more detail. Do you get entries for dvb / teletext
subtitles in your subs menu? What channels are we talking about?

The menu is there, it's just that there's no subtitles rendered when I choose a language. Teletext-subs works, it's only DVB that doesn't. I've only tried the HD-channels on 0.8W, but since I get them with other images (based on much older Enigma2-versions) I don't think there's anything wrong with the channels way of doing DVB.

You should always use the "restart enigma" or "shutdown" options from
the menu on the box. If you don't, data gets lost. If you simply pull
the plug, all other sorts of havoc will come to you as well.

I always do that when I want to keep the configuration.

--
Thomas

Re: Subtitles #10 pieterg

• PLi® Core member
  • 32,766 posts

+245
Excellent

Posted 6 January 2010 - 15:06

are you running the latest drivers?
Earlier drivers didn't support framebuffer acceleration, and that's required these days to display dvb subtitles in HD resolutions.

Re: Subtitles #11 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 6 January 2010 - 18:08

The menu is there, it's just that there's no subtitles rendered when I
choose a language. Teletext-subs works, it's only DVB that doesn't.
I've only tried the HD-channels on 0.8W, but since I get them with
other images (based on much older Enigma2-versions) I don't think
there's anything wrong with the channels way of doing DVB.

Are you using a recent OpenPLI image version? Do you have access to BBC
HD? From this channel I am sure that both teletext and dvb subs are OK.

I always do that when I want to keep the configuration.

I hope that also means you never pull the plug without properly shutting
down?

Re: Subtitles #12 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 6 January 2010 - 18:08

Earlier drivers didn't support framebuffer acceleration, and that's required these days to display dvb subtitles in HD resolutions.

Framebuffer acceleration for subtitle rendering???

And no similar thing for teletext subs rendering???

It gets "more interesting" with the day...

Re: Subtitles #13 pieterg

• PLi® Core member
  • 32,766 posts

+245
Excellent

Posted 6 January 2010 - 18:15

the acceleration is used to scale the dvb subtitle bitmaps. Without the acceleration, the bitmaps are simply empty after scaling.

Re: Subtitles #14 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,269 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 6 January 2010 - 22:44

I just checked here... on Animal Planet HD on 1 W I have DVB subtitles... on all the different languages.

Re: Subtitles #15 vacum

• 4 posts

Neutral

Posted 19 February 2010 - 23:20

I prefer a global setting for all channels but i can live with the fact that i have to select subtitles for the channels manually. There is a another problem that's bothering me. The lines are mixed up. It looks like the lines are combined and word wrapped at a fixed width.

Example:
- Person one is speaking.
- Person two says hi

It looks like this with PLI:
- Person one is speaking. - Person
two says hi.

If the lines are longer like this:
- Let's say hello to all hamsters in the house!
- Why speak with the hamster. They are dead!

It may look like this with PLI:
- Let's say hello to all hamsters in the house!

- Why speak with the hamster. They are dead!

If I use gemini with 2sub it works perfectly but gemini and 2Sub is "ugly". It works perfectly but PLI is much more clean but it's the only way to get the subtitles to work.
Is there any way to fix this?

Re: Subtitles #16 hemertje

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Core member
  • 33,471 posts

+118
Excellent

Posted 19 February 2010 - 23:27

are you using latest OpenPLi version, lets say from last week?
it should work properly is what i read a few weeks ago...

on the Glassfibre 1GB DVB-C...

Re: Subtitles #17 pieterg

• PLi® Core member
  • 32,766 posts

+245
Excellent

Posted 20 February 2010 - 00:41

did you try the various txt subtitle settings?

Re: Subtitles #18 vacum

• 4 posts

Neutral

Posted 20 February 2010 - 00:51

I tried with the latest but the flashing hung at 70 something %.

Can you recommend a specific build?

Re: Subtitles #19 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,269 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 20 February 2010 - 11:33

Yes... the latest openPli keeps the orriginal linebreaks... As you decribe it here it is just like it performs with usual enigma or as it was with Jade 3...

Re: Subtitles #20 vacum

• 4 posts

Neutral

Posted 21 February 2010 - 20:06

It works :-)
Nice to have working subtitling built into the firmware.

The only thing i'm missing is an option to enable or disable centering of the subtitles.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DM800

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users