Help please with understanding CDK and OE sources

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 georgep

• 11 posts

Neutral

Posted 14 April 2010 - 11:03

Hi!

I'm fairly new to the Dreambox area (though I do have some experience of coding), sso please bear with me if this is a 'typical newbie' question

I have just bought a DM600pvr and I would like to learn more about the code so that I can hopefully make a contribution to helping with OpenPLi development.

I have followed the development setup pages and I can suggessfully build an OpenPLi OE image for my DM600. I have also set up the environment to build CDK images and (although I don't have a DM500 to tesi it ) I can also successfully build a DM500 image.

I have a specific enhancement that I would like to implement on my DM600 - as there is no LCD display I want to have one of the front panel LEDs flash during recording. There is already an OpenPLi ticket (#4) raised for this which lists some diff's against one of the Enigma source files - lcdd.cpp.

I can find a (much earlier) version of lcdd.cpp in the CDK source tree for the DM500, but the DM600 sources have a totaly different structure and don't appear (as far as I can see) to have any similar files relating to driving the display on the OpenEmbedded boxes.

Could someone perhaps enlighten me as to how I might control of the front panel LEDs on the DM600?

I guess what I'm also asking in simpler terms is whether there is any commonality between the sources for the DM500 and DM600, or are they totally different source trees with no common code?

Thanks in anticipation for any guidance!
George

Re: Help please with understanding CDK and OE sources #2 pieterg

• PLi® Core member
  • 32,766 posts

+245
Excellent

Posted 14 April 2010 - 11:07

Could someone perhaps enlighten me as to how I might control of the front panel LEDs on the DM600?

We don't know, that's all undocumented stuff in the (closed source) drivers.
It probably means a lot of trial and error, and lucky guessing, to make it work (if it is supported at all)

I guess what I'm also asking in simpler terms is whether there is any commonality between the sources for the DM500 and DM600, or are they totally different source trees with no common code?

enigma is the same.
But regarding what the drivers support, and how to control them, totally different.

Re: Help please with understanding CDK and OE sources #3 georgep

• 11 posts

Neutral

Posted 14 April 2010 - 11:30

It probably means a lot of trial and error, and lucky guessing, to make it work (if it is supported at all)

Thanks.. not quite what I was hoping to hear though!

So I guess I may as well just write some random data to /dev/dbox/fp0 and watch what (if anything!) happens ?!?!

Re: Help please with understanding CDK and OE sources #4 pieterg

• PLi® Core member
  • 32,766 posts

+245
Excellent

Posted 14 April 2010 - 11:34

indeed. Or have a look in head.ko and try to find which ioctl's are handled by the fp device. Or make a few guesses based on what's supported by other dmm hardware.

Re: Help please with understanding CDK and OE sources #5 hemispherical1

• 1,596 posts

+49
Good

Posted 14 April 2010 - 16:32

Actually, the diff is for Neutrino, not Enigma (they're 2 separate DB OSs). It was added to the ticket added to give a starting point with possible ideas on how the flashing LED might be achieved.

--
hemi

There is already an OpenPLi ticket (#4) raised for this which lists some diff's against one of the Enigma source files - lcdd.cpp.

George

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users