DM500+

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Vorwaerts

• 5 posts

Neutral

Posted 15 April 2010 - 13:54

Hi,

Is it just not possible to get a viewable video stream from the 500 box?

This is the setup.

DM500:
Image: pli-Jade3-dm500-20090627-6494

PC:
Windows 7
Firefox 3.6
VLC 0.8.6h or 0.9.6 (tried both using guidelines from several sites)

Everything is connected to a gigabit switch and the PLi Webinterface is working fine.

Re: Streaming from DM500to PC #2 Sjaaky

• 7,443 posts

+41
Good

Posted 15 April 2010 - 13:58

You should be able to view the current channel by opening the url http://ip-of-your-dreambox:31344 in vlc.

Re: Streaming from DM500to PC #3 Vorwaerts

• 5 posts

Neutral

Posted 15 April 2010 - 14:35

You should be able to view the current channel by opening the url http://ip-of-your-dreambox:31344 in vlc.

Yeah I've read that but the reality is that it 1. takes quite some time to load and 2. when it's loaded in VLC the screen is not updated (screen flickers and stalls) and the sound is just a single scatch and then nothing.

I've been told that maybe the box hasn't got adequete resources to actually stream, could there be some truth in this or is it just extremely difficult to set up?

Thanks for your fast reply though.

Re: Streaming from DM500to PC #4 Sjaaky

• 7,443 posts

+41
Good

Posted 15 April 2010 - 15:01

In that case you may need to apply the capacitor mod. Guess you've read about that as well?

Re: Streaming from DM500to PC #5 Vorwaerts

• 5 posts

Neutral

Posted 15 April 2010 - 16:48

In that case you may need to apply the capacitor mod. Guess you've read about that as well?

Actually no, please enlight me /images/smiley/grin.gif

Re: Streaming from DM500to PC #6 Sjaaky

• 7,443 posts

+41
Good

Posted 15 April 2010 - 16:59

Read chapter 3 of this document: http://www.pli-image...=a&file_id=5863

I didn't do the entire mod. I only soldered 2 extra caps in parallel to C17 and C23. This worked perfectly for me.

Of course there are no guarantees. You should know what your doing and have the right equipment before attempting the mod.

Re: Streaming from DM500to PC #7 Vorwaerts

• 5 posts

Neutral

Posted 15 April 2010 - 17:27

Read chapter 3 of this document: http://www.pli-image...=a&file_id=5863

I didn't do the entire mod. I only soldered 2 extra caps in parallel to C17 and C23. This worked perfectly for me.

Of course there are no guarantees. You should know what your doing and have the right equipment before attempting the mod.

Thanks! I have no problem soldering and replacing components but from what I read I can't quite see how these two mods (specifically no. 1) can have any effect on the streaming part or am I missing somethinh here?

Re: Streaming from DM500to PC #8 Sjaaky

• 7,443 posts

+41
Good

Posted 15 April 2010 - 18:40

Yes :).
During streaming the networkchip draws too much current for small periods of time, the capacitor can't deliver, voltage drops, network chips stops working, the software notices, tries again. This is causing major slow downs. Normally the network interface of a dm500 can do +4MByte/s (with iperf) and ~2MByte/s with zapstream. But I guess your speed is around 200KByte/s. Which is not enough for proper streaming. Well, a radio channel might work.

Re: Streaming from DM500to PC #9 Vorwaerts

• 5 posts

Neutral

Posted 15 April 2010 - 21:20

Yes :).
During streaming the networkchip draws too much current for small periods of time, the capacitor can't deliver, voltage drops, network chips stops working, the software notices, tries again. This is causing major slow downs. Normally the network interface of a dm500 can do +4MByte/s (with iperf) and ~2MByte/s with zapstream. But I guess your speed is around 200KByte/s. Which is not enough for proper streaming. Well, a radio channel might work.

Ahhh I see, I'm already about to order the components. I'll report back whether or not this actually did any good for the streaming.

Thanks again for your input!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DM500+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users