• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pcd

• 759 posts

+88
Good

Posted 2 September 2010 - 13:23

Hi,

I am very much in favour of open source development - and I would like some advice from the Pli admin/team.

I have developed enigma2 images for dm500plus, dm600pvr and dm7020. I believe I am the only person now working on the enigma2 images for these boxes.

I would like to make the patches and methods for these images available for other developers. Is there any place in your setup where I can make these items public ?

I hope anybody interested can then help to solve the remaining problems - for example mp3 playing, timeshift etc which at present do not work.

I have also been developing enigma1 Movieplayer code for some years to make plugins such as Youtubeplayer for enigma1. I would also like to publish these codes here - if anybody is interested.

Regards, pcd.

Re: Open Source Development #2 pieterg

• PLi® Core member
  • 32,766 posts

+245
Excellent

Posted 2 September 2010 - 13:49

I think the only way to make sourcecode available, in such a way that people can actually use it, is in some repository.
We could make the openpli repositories available to you, to put your sourcecode online (I guess you made e2 and oe modifications?), but my worry is that this would create a bit of a mess in our rather 'stable' repositories.

Not that I don't trust you, but if I were working to make e2 work on custom hardware, I would start off with some very ugly hacks, some of which I would eventually convert into nice code, but others would simply remain, never looked at again as they do their job, forgotten.
So I would not be surprised if you also left in some constructions which others would refer to as ugly hacks, and which we might not want to introduce in openpli.

So perhaps the best way to start would be to setup a new repository (or one for oe, one for e2), and try to merge those with openpli, and keep them uptodate.

That would allow people wishing to use your work, and contribute, to have a nice recent and uptodate environment.

You could actually simply create a sourceforge project, and start putting your stuff online.
Then perhaps if we really start to work together, we might move your repositories into the openpli project if you want, or even merge your modifications into the openpli repositories.

Re: Open Source Development #3 pcd

• 759 posts

+88
Good

Posted 2 September 2010 - 18:59

Thank you for your comments.

The amendments are quite simple. For example for the 600 e2 cvs image - small enigma2 patch for 3 hw related files plus patch of dreambox-image.bb to change from e1 to e2 make. The other stuff like emumanager, scriptmanager, epg etc - I put everything in as a single plugin.

Cheers, pcd.

Re: Open Source Development #4 updatelee

• 631 posts

Neutral

Posted 5 September 2010 - 02:42

if there are only a few files changed you could just post the patch files. if its larger then I would create a new sourceforge project.
DM500, DM7000, DM800 Fortec Mercury II, sg2100, winegard 39", invacom qph-031 Toshiba TRX-2220 ku-linear

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users